3 hours to clean filter

propjetprop

Gold Supporter
Jan 5, 2018
Douglasville Georgia
So this is my second summer with our new pool. I learned a lesson today and will be cleaning the cartridge filters more often! It took me 3 hours to hose these puppies off and get them to flow clear water. The pool builder told me to clean the filter when the pressure reached about 20 PSI on the gauge. He said it would be about once a season... Well WRONG.... I am going to clean it twice a year now and more as needed if we get storms.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a more efficient way of cleaning these things other than sitting with a hose for hours?

Thanks

Before and after :

are salvage titles bad

are salvage titles bad

Last edited:
pjp,

How long since it was cleaned before???

I use hair nets in the skimmers and normally clean my filters in the Spring and in the Fall when it is warm enough to get wet. I'm sure I could go a whole year, but feel better doing it twice a year.

I do some other stuff at the same time, but it still takes me a couple of hours total.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jimrahbe, This is the first time I have ever opened the filter to clean them. The pool was opened for the first time in May 2018, So it has been about 14 months since new.
I had some yard drainage issues and my pool filled with mud a few times after some big rain storms. I have since installed new drainage, but I am sure the amount of mud in these filters is due to the yard drainage.

Do the clean ones look good to go? or would you consider replacing them?

How much are new cartridge filters for your system?
Is a backup set a reasonable convenience?
You would still have to clean them but you instantly install the clean ones and could soak the dirty ones to be cleaned at your leisure.

I personally don't care what color the cartridges are, as long as the run off from the hose is clear..

If those were my filters I'd be sticking them back in. My cartridges are about 5 years old and I expect to get 10 years out of them before having to replace them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.