3/4 hp vs. 1 hp pump

Vince-1961

Jul 1, 2014
St. Simons Island, GA
I've had it with Intex pumps. Time to get a real one that might last more than 2 years, but trying to decide between 3/4 hp and 1 hp. Total turnover in 8 hours would be 24 gpm. 1.5" pipes so 40 gpm is the maximum. Going from pump, through 18" sand filter (I'm counting this as two 90 degree turns) , then through a small Intex cartridge filter/pump combo from which I intend to remove the impeller (or at least not turn the pump on) which I am going to count as three 90 degree turns, then through two SWGs (so that's four 90 degree turns) then back to pool. Total horizontal distance is around 10 feet and vertical is about 3, so I'd say 13 feet of head, but let's call it 15 instead.

Definitely going with a two speed pump and intend to keep it on low speed most of the time, except when vacuuming.

So, 3/4 hp or 1 hp?

EDIT: Anyone ever heard of the brand FlowXtreme? Lot less expensive than Pentair or Hayward!

Last edited:
Turnover is meaningless. Water chemistry keeps your pool water clean. The filter only removes stuff that falls into the pool.

Do you use a suction or pressure side cleaner? That may dictate the pump.

Let's have some of our members with more pump knowledge than I chime in.

Reactions: tim5055
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.