2nd season startup- looking for input on balancing.

Reactions: Newdude
OCLT
Set SWG 0%
8.5 hrs
Fc 7.5 - no loss
Cc 0

Crystal clear..good to go?

going to start adding cya goal i think 60 for now do not wanna overshoot end up having to drain
Using Poolmath if I’m technically at zero cya says 16 lbs. I think I’ll start with 8-10 and retest. How much cya do you guys recommend adding per day via the sock in front of return?

Last edited:
OCLT
Set SWG 0%
8.5 hrs
Fc 7.5 - no loss
Cc 0

Crystal clear..good to go?

going to start adding cya goal i think 60 for now do not wanna overshoot end up having to drain
Using Poolmath if I’m technically at zero cya says 16 lbs. I think I’ll start with 8-10 and retest. How much cya do you guys recommend adding per day via the sock in front of return?
Add it in 10ppm increments. Don’t assume zero is correct.

Add it in 10ppm increments. Don’t assume zero is correct.
So in that case 10 PPM for my size are pool is approximately 2 pounds daily. Check CYA each consecutive day? Goal of 60ppm..this is going to be 5-6 day process?

With pump running 24/7 until fully stabilized ..could I keep up with my daily sun FC loss without adding LC?

So in that case 10 PPM for my size are pool is approximately 2 pounds daily. Check CYA each consecutive day? Goal of 60ppm..this is going to be 5-6 day process?

With pump running 24/7 until fully stabilized ..could I keep up with my daily sun FC loss without adding LC?
You have to add chlorine daily anyway (with liquid or the SWCG), that’s not related to the CYA addition.

Unless this is a fresh fill, you likely have CYA in there. If the water is at all cloudy, you may already have 10-20ppm. Once it registers in a measureable range, maybe you can push it up more reliably? There’s no rush to get it up to 60ppm, but lots of downside to overshooting. It’s up to you, but give it 24-48 hours before testing after each addition.

You have to add chlorine daily anyway (with liquid or the SWCG), that’s not related to the CYA addition.

Unless this is a fresh fill, you likely have CYA in there. If the water is at all cloudy, you may already have 10-20ppm. Once it registers in a measureable range, maybe you can push it up more reliably? There’s no rush to get it up to 60ppm, but lots of downside to overshooting. It’s up to you, but give it 24-48 hours before testing after each addition.
Last yr pool was new, maintained cya around 40 (didn’t do my HW about 60-80 swh goal)

Started up pool last week…..store cya test was 5, added 2lbs got to 19.

Tf100 kit last night still saw black dot w full cylinder so i’m below 20 somewhere i guess. Will do 2lb increments until i hit 60.

20 and below are sketchy to read at best. 30+ should be much better. It's real easy to overshoot and need to drain, so aim low and creep up the last bit once you get a feel for how your pool responds.

Also. The pool store CYA test is arguably their least accurate test. Pay it zero mind. (Along with their others). We don't care they got one or two right last time. Statistically, all their #s are under suspicion. :)

Reactions: Poolboy2021
20 and below are sketchy to read at best. 30+ should be much better. It's real easy to overshoot and need to drain, so aim low and creep up the last bit once you get a feel for how your pool responds.

Also. The pool store CYA test is arguably their least accurate test. Pay it zero mind. (Along with their others). We don't care they got one or two right last time. Statistically, all their #s are under suspicion. :)
So what are we thinking 2lbs daily.. retest 36hr later and repeat?

Adding 25 ppm (5.5 lbs) now shouldn't be any issues as we know it's below 30 and you have some ground to cover up to 70. Use the sock in front a return method and mix well for a day or two, then creep the rest at 10 ppm each.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last yr pool was new, maintained cya around 40 (didn’t do my HW about 60-80 swh goal)

Started up pool last week…..store cya test was 5, added 2lbs got to 19.

Tf100 kit last night still saw black dot w full cylinder so i’m below 20 somewhere i guess. Will do 2lb increments until i hit 60.
If you were doing CYA test at night then it's likely to be wrong. Make sure it's done outside back to the sun.

ok so my cya was around 19 ( so pool store said). Could see dot to the tip of cylinder.

So ive added about 5lbs of cya (2 separate applications this week via sock method)

Checked today w sun behind me….I theoretically should be near 40.
I still see black dot. At 30 i barely see if but shadow is there and i totally see it.

Hate that this test is not precise and is susceptible to user error.

Anyway im holding chlorine, no CC been maintaining anout 7 FC. With a saltwater generator I definitely need to get up. So questio is, do I just keep adding until I “think” im around 70. Or is this the one exception to use a local pool store as my control??

Got 2 local stores (with one being my PB)…could compare the CYA results from both and get an idea if my black dot reading is on point or not.

It is liquid CYA. Add slowly into the skimmer to keep from any solids settling on the pool surface. Rinse container several times with pool water.

pool looks great
TF kit:
FC 9
Tc 9
Ph 7.6
Ta 70
Cya 80
Salt test-turned brick at 17 , so 3200.
Pool pilot says 2900.
Frirnds electronic meter 2500

Pools running about 15 hr a day. Salt cells automatically been running around 20%.

Thoughts about what i should do w salt? Got two 40lb bags on hand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.