Plugging skimmer equalizer tube for winter

Jul 14, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Just opened our in-ground, gunite pool which we had re-plastered last summer along with skimmer replacement. The skimmers have equalizer tubes with openings in the pool wall below the skimmers. When I winterized, I dropped the water level below these equalizer lines, blew them out, and capped both ends of the lines using lots of Teflon tape on the plugs. But when I pulled the plug inside the skimmer off this week, the equalizer tube was full of water in both skimmers! (I hadn't pulled the plugs in the pool wall yet.) Apparently both wall plugs leaked that much water during the course of the winter.
Would I have been better off not plugging the equalizer tube inside the skimmer giving the water -and ice - somewhere to go? My old skimmers had spring-loaded caps on the equalizer tube inside the skimmer, so I never attempted to plug them there.
No apparent damage was done. Maybe I was just lucky.

Neglected to mention that I refilled the pool after installing the plugs as required to support my winter cover and keep the new plaster covered with water as much as possible. Refilled to just below the tile line and main skimmer opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.