Hoping for HELP to identify this pool.

I found some numbers on this pool. I typed them into the net and it brings up Delair. Delair Esther Williams, Johnny Weissmuller, Symphony Series, Delgard, Patriot, Family Ties. I think we are getting closer.
Here are the numbers I found:
Found these numbers on the caps
T 2981
T2981-XX
9806 T-2981

Perhaps someone recognizes this??? I hope?

Okay, more pics I took. Need some help.

P1010347.jpg

What is this? Some type of filter??
Below is another pic of it looking down at it.
P1010346.jpg

This is a picture of those "nut" things I was talking about that he "cut" off. I don't want to sound stupid when I go into the pool place. So please.... what is this???
P1010344.jpg

Here are a few more pictures that I took..... tell me, how disgusting of a person do you have to be to sell someone a pool with the basket looking like...... this! (gross)
P1010348.jpg

I really would like to replace this basket... the thought of cleaning it makes me want to gag. :( :rant: as an OCD freak... this basket is unacceptable!!

P1010354.jpg

This is 'another' view of the liner. Look how pretty shiny the middle is :) I think I got a deal :)

P1010350.jpg

This must be where the return goes? (the cut out circle). I am assuming the wall is in good shape because I am not seeing evidence of rust anywhere. The top rails look like heck to me though.

What is the part called that slips over the pool wall and then you hang your liner on it? This pool has a beaded liner. I was told that I can easily just use an overlap liner with coping strips.... is this true? The things that slip over the pool wall that the beaded liner slip into... well, the idiot must have used something to "pry" the liner out because almost every one of those sections has sharp messed up spots on them. I will try to post a pic of an example tomorrow. It is a little irritating.... he told me to just file it down and then put duct tape over it. (ugh). Oh, and the lower track that sits on the ground.... those were FULL of dirt and roots from something. I spent about 4 hours today slowly and methodically working all the crud out of each piece. Some of the roots in the track were over a foot long! I still have to wash them down. I also sorted out all the parts and made seperate stacks so that I could count each piece and be sure that we had all the parts. I need to make a list of things we need so that when the weekend comes, I have everything here needed. So far, I need 3 stainless steel bolts and nuts (I will take one that is in the pool to match up) Gorilla tape, 2 new 'nut' things, New filter sand, rustoleum, weed killer stuff..... and I need to decide what we are laying for the bottom (sand, gorilla pad, styro board) and also the cove strips. Are those cove strips worth the money, or is sand just as good? I also need to decide if I am going to try to use the old liner. Juding by that basket picture I posted, I think a new liner is a must because there is NO telling what the heck was in that pool. I am starting to think Shrek bathed in it! :shock:

Alright, /rant. It is 12:20 here in Michigan (yawn) and it has been one heck of a day! I will be back tomorrow :D

It actually doesn't look as bad as you may think. Some good cleaning and a little smoothing and some paint and it'll be good as new.

You can put an overlap liner on it but First I'd try the old one if the bead isn't messed up and even ig I had to buy a new on I'd go back with a beaded liner.

The plastic nut is the backing nut for the return fitting and I'd just buy a new return fitting. I don't know what the little strainer is for.

Yeah, that strainer has me stumped as well. I am entirely bummed that I haven't been able to figure out what pool this is. I have done hours and hours of research. The manufacturer is definitely Delaire, but they produced a ton of different pools under many different names. I don't even really know how old the pool is. I have a feeling it came from Definitive Pools because they have the same exact ladder as the one I have available as an upgrade to their professional package. They also sell the Hayward sand filter. The one I have is an E-Series. I wonder what year those came out. Maybe that will help me to date the pool. It is in pretty good condition.... it makes me question exactly how old it is though. Curiosity.... and it is driving me crazy!

Okay.... so it isn't a 28 foot pool. I asked him numerous times if he was sure. He obviously doesn't know how to look at a liner. It was right there on the Liner 27' 52". What an idiot. I would have been so mad had I ordered a new liner and then opened the package and realized I had the wrong size. WOW!!! This pool liner shows a SN number: 08068054911 I seriously think this means the liner was made in 2006. I could be wrong, maybe it was made in 08. The liner is in darned good condition and so is the pool. So it is either 5 years old or 3 years old (shrug). Anyway, I am still on my quest to find out what this pool is. I did find someone else who has the same identical pool! Unfortunately, she doesn't know what it is called either. But I was able to tell her how to get the part she was looking for. Here is the link to that. She had a picture of the wall which will show you better what mine looks like. Maybe I can copy the pic and add it here. I am going to try that!
bottom-or-top-plate-manufacturer-unknown-21485695.jpg

Found that at this link: Bummer she doesn't know what it is either. :(
http://www.shadebuilder.com/above-groun ... arts1.html

Okay......... who has heard of Tide Water Pool???? I am thinking that this is what my pool is (as well as the lady above). A man posted on another forum stating he had a Tide Water pool and listed part numbers. It just so happens one of those part numbers in on my pool as well. I have searched for Tide Water Pool Images, but no luck in confirmation.
I really don't know why this is driving me so insane. :oops:

I can't help with the ID of the pool, but I think the end result will be a lot of fun for you & your family. The little strainer, I've never seen either, but could it possibly fit under the drain cap on the bottom of the filter? I'm guessing. It looks small in your picture judging by the size of your thumb/finger. The large strainer..get a bucket with water, dump a little bleach in it & let it soak. It's just old algae deposits & will be fine.

The only thing I would add is to be very diligent on your site prep. Make sure the site & pads where your uprights will be are LEVEL. If you think you got it level, check it again. If you have success with the old liner, & I think you will, it will be a one shot deal. Once it's full of water, you can't re-level it. An inch or so off may not be a major deal as far as pool integrity, but you'll see it always. (my experience 15 years ago)

On the tops, take some 240 sandpaper or scotchbrite pads, a good primer, & your color of choice of a good quality paint & they'll look good. You can repaint them again if necessary without major dis-assembly.

Good luck & enjoy..

ultra800_96 said:
I can't help with the ID of the pool, but I think the end result will be a lot of fun for you & your family. The little strainer, I've never seen either, but could it possibly fit under the drain cap on the bottom of the filter? I'm guessing. It looks small in your picture judging by the size of your thumb/finger. The large strainer..get a bucket with water, dump a little bleach in it & let it soak. It's just old algae deposits & will be fine.

The only thing I would add is to be very diligent on your site prep. Make sure the site & pads where your uprights will be are LEVEL. If you think you got it level, check it again. If you have success with the old liner, & I think you will, it will be a one shot deal. Once it's full of water, you can't re-level it. An inch or so off may not be a major deal as far as pool integrity, but you'll see it always. (my experience 15 years ago)

On the tops, take some 240 sandpaper or scotchbrite pads, a good primer, & your color of choice of a good quality paint & they'll look good. You can repaint them again if necessary without major dis-assembly.

Good luck & enjoy..

Thank You Ultra800_96! Thank You for all of your knowledge. You are correct, the little metal mesh strainer thing is pretty small. Maybe just over an inch and a half big.
I have a feeling I will be trying to do most of this on my own. I am excited to do it but I really wish I had someone who knew what they were doing to direct me. In my first marriage, my ex husbands family owned a Motel which had a large inground swimming pool. Every time he did the backwash, I went running. The sound scared me, especially when I seen the pipes shake and spew out water. I am intimidated by the equipment... even for this pool. I will have to overcome that fear and learn how to do this. I am so excited, but nervous at the same time.

You are the second person who said to go ahead and try that used liner. It is a really heavy one. Someone spent a lot of money on it. Do you think the ones that cost more are less likely to shrink when taken out of water? If I carefully pull one fold of the liner back, I can see a little water on the liner. Maybe I will get lucky???? That would be a God Send because I already know all of the rest of the needs are going to be expensive. The cove, wall liner, something for the floor of the pool, fixing some of the sharp edges on the metal strips the beaded liner goes into the test kit, chemicals, and I also need to get some of those safety signs that say no diving as the previous owner must have peeled them off. Oh, and lets not forget that I need to purchase the sand for the sand filter. What is that sand called and is it expensive?

Again, thanks for your help.... all of you. This should be a fun learning experience with definite rewards this summer. I will be posting pictures of my progress :mrgreen:

Once you operate the equipment a few times you'll become familiar with it and it won't be intimidating at all.

All the stuff that you'll have to buy won't be all that expensive at all. The foam cove is pretty cheap. The filter sand isn't expensive either. You'll need #20/21 grade pool sand. You can take the model number and the Hayward site has the manual, that'll tell you how much you need to buy.

I have an important question. I just read how this 52" deep pool will be more like 46 inches of water when all is said and done. In part because of the water level at the skimmer being around 6 inches down the wall. Then add in your flooring which also will take a little amount of the 46 inches. So I am having questions about an expandable liner.
If I have to buy a new liner (which we know is a great possibility because the liner has been without water in it since this past fall) I might as well buy and expandable liner and make a slope in the ground and a deep area. Question is.... can I do this with the pool I have? Is there a special type of pool you have to have to be able to do this, or is it any round pool?
Also- I need a recommendation for soil treatment and also something to prevent pests such as ants. I am looking into alternatives to the gorilla pad because I don't want to spend 200 dollars on a pad..... I know, I know.... also, if you have a deep end, do you still buy a 'special pad' or just use the pool type sand mixed with that pool crete stuff? Inquiring mind here :) Thanks for everyone's involvement in helping to make this a reality :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ultra800_96 said:
The little strainer, I've never seen either, but could it possibly fit under the drain cap on the bottom of the filter? I'm guessing. It looks small in your picture judging by the size of your thumb/finger.

I have a little filter screen like that....it goes to my polaris 360, where the hose fits into the return. It's #41 on this page: http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/360-parts.html

i have no idea why you'd have one of those for an AGP though...I thought the 360 was just for IGP's :?:

Thanks for your input danivdp- I guess perhaps I should try to get a mianual for the pool pump and the filter so that I can better familiarize myself with what we have. If I don't need it, could you use it? I mean... what is the point of throwing it out??

WOW! I just called the 1800 number for a place called Pool Supply Club. The dude answered the phone and said, "pool supply club" and I said, "I am wondering if you can answer a few questions about a liner for me" He then hung up on me. I was like.... huh??? So I called back. The phone rang twice, he picked it up (and unmistakeably) sat it right back down on the receiver. I guess they don't want my money. I just sent their "sales" and email. I am not happy.
So--- as an FYI, don't bother with that company. Obviously, their service SUCKS!

OH.... lovely. My email to them came back. Okay--- anyone want to recommend a good online store where I can get a good pool liner? This place must not like me... or they are going out of business. hmmm

poolstupid said:
OH.... lovely. My email to them came back. Okay--- anyone want to recommend a good online store where I can get a good pool liner? This place must not like me... or they are going out of business. hmmm

Better now than after they have your money, right? :roll: But I know nothing about pool liners, so I will be no help there.

I just bought a new filter screen, I only replace them every 3 or 4 yrs, & it was only a few bucks....I say throw it out if you don't have any kind of hose it will/should fit in. Thanks for the offer though!!

Soooooooooo..... I went to the Health Department and got a copy of our filed Septic inspection from when the house was built. Came home, got myself a shovel. Found myself a beautiful (is that possible) slab of cement, measured out 30 feet and found that the inspector who diagramed the septic out isn't so good at drawing or must be dyslexic. Thank God I checked for myself and didn't go by the diagram. I will have to have the pool a little further Northeast than originally planned, however it felt really good using a tape measure, cute little flags and mapping out my "plan". I even bought myself a bright orange tape measure for this milestone event. :D

I am still looking at the liners. Haven't made a decision.

It wont be long and we will be digging and leveling. I am getting a bit excited :D

Well.... I was really concerned about leveling the land and also some sloping. Our property soil is like.... I guess like gravel in a sense. It is very hard with rocks here and there and very difficult to dig. Trust me, I tried. Hubby just talked with neighbors who do excavating. They are going to come, bring in soil, level out all of our land as well as remove some trees. The deal is that my husband do mechanical work for them free of charge, and the money made off the trees (maples) will go toward a big pool party with a pig roast.

Anyway, I am excited because they will be starting on the big project next weekend. I didn't even think about bringing in soil to level the land. I guess I was only thinking about "digging down" and not building up. Is there anyone out there who has had experience in doing it this way? If so, do I have anything to worry about? I have already done my homework on the septic and leach field. We will be placing the pool far away from both. In fact, it looks like we will have to build an extension to the deck. But that will have to be over time. We will only be making a small deck area at the pool entry spot because we do not plan to put a bunch of money into this all at once. It will have to be a project that gets better over time :)

Any thoughts on what we are doing? Is it okay to build the land up to escape concerns of sloping land? Don't tell my hubby that I am second guessing him... he always thinks he is right and "KNOWS". Trust me, what he "knows" isn't always correct. lol

Both the names Johnny Weismuller and Esther Williams were brand names of pools sold here in MD by a company called Namco and manufactured (I think) by Delair. Namco is located throughout the Northeast. If there is a Namco locally they might have some info for you. But be forewarned, Namco is the WalMart of the pool world, so don't go in expecting much. That way they won't let you down.

As long as the pool is in good shape, it sounds like you got a decent deal. If the liner is good, I would try to reuse it. If there is any doubt though, I would put an overlap on it since water can get expensive to replace multiple times. From where I'm sitting, it looks like a good cleaning and replacement of some commonly available parts will get you in business.

The following is quoted from a website describing how awful Johnny W pools are. Please take it with a grain of salt as it appears to be one or two disgruntled owners. I post it because it gives some history for your pool purchase. The past two years, these pools have been all aluminum. Since your pool is older, it is conceivable that it was made of steel.
The following quote comes from the website http://johnnyweissmullerpoolssuck.com/

Delair Group, LLC was founded more than 40 years ago as the Esther Williams Swimming Pool Company. Today, Delair is one of the leading pool and fence manufacturers in the world.

Delair manufactures products under the following brand names: Delgard Premier Aluminum Fencing, Infinity, Esther Williams, Johnny Weissmuller and Symphony Series.

Whether you're looking for a custom inground pool, a value-priced above ground pool, or a strong, durable fence for your home or business, Delair is your trusted source for a broad range of pools and fences.

This was a statement directly from Delgard's website: "Johnny Weissmuller pools are high quality, reliable pools that bear the tradition of excellence of their legendary namesake."

This is the company that sells the Johnny Weissmuller brand pools in the Northeast: Namco. Other resellers will be listed that sell JW brand pools. Delair has removed all reference to JW pools from their website.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.