Ohio Pool Opening

Apr 14, 2011
South Point, Ohio
Hello all first i would like to say this is a wonderful site full of great info and i have followed it for years but this is my first time posting.

We had a 24' round above ground pool installed two years ago. the first two summers opening running and closing has went flawless using the BBB method learned from here. In mid-February we noticed a hole has formed in the middle of our winter cover after the large amounts of snow and ice we received here in southern Ohio. Needless to say the pool water got a large amount of rain/snow water into the pool water, plus some sun light pass through. The weather is now turning nice here so i decided to take a peak under the cover and see what shape we were in. Needless to say the water was still clear (minor cloudy) with the beginnings of allege growth. With the winter cover still on i went ahead and fired the pump back up and started balancing the water levels. After bring the water up to shock level for 24 hours with running the pump 24 hours the cloudy look is gone but the minor allege growth still appears to be present. Now for my question - would it be wise to go ahead and removed the winter cover and begin sweeping and maintaining the pool like i normally would even though it is two to three weeks earlier than i normally would here in Ohio?

As long as the freeze danger is passed you can open any time you want. It will be easier to clean it up now instead of waiting a couple of weeks and trying to clear a potential swamp!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.