Auto Pilot SC-36 Low Amps

Apr 11, 2011
First time visitor to site and hope I can get some help.

My girlfriend has an Autopilot system on her pool. It is about 10K gallons including spa here in Southeast Florida. Pool was filled with algae last week. Added algaecide, acid, etc. Cleaned screens and filter.

Unit was reading clean cell. It is now reading low amps. Looked at plates and there is some scaling and build up on ends of plates. I increased power to level 3 and it is reading 30 volts and 0.8 amps.

Any suggestions on how to proceed. Pool is concrete and built in late-2006. Control unit was replaced 8 months ago. Cell could be original - I am not sure.

Salt level is 3300ppm.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion and welcome!!

I took your advice and let cell soak in a 20% solution of acid for quite a while early this morning and rinsed thoroughly afterward with garden hose. The white crusty stuff has been removed from the cell. Noticed that the outermost metal plates are approx. 1/8" shorter than inner plates on one end. Low Amps message still displayed. Water temp is 82, Salt is 3300ppm, Volts are 27, and amps are 0.5.

Plan on taking water sample to pool store and having it checked this afternoon. Also plan on replacing cord this evening when I get home to see if that could be the problem.

The cell could be wearing out. They normally last three to five years. If the cell is original it it would be 4 1/2 years old. Usually when the cell is worn out the edges/corners of the plates will be a little more worn away than that, but not always.

Look at the ends of the cord and see if you see any burnt or melted areas. That would be a clear sign of a cord problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.