Salt level and SWCG efficiency

Sep 23, 2010
SC Lowcountry
I was curious if there was any info regarding salt levels and their effect on SWCG output percentages and their efficiency. Specifically, if I was to bump my salt level up slightly, would I still be able to maintain my chlorine levels at the same amount of pump run time but at a lower chlorinator output percentage?

That depends on which brand/model of SWG you have. Some of them compensate for the salt level and always produce the same amount of chlorine, while others vary their output depending on the salt level. Even if yours is one of the ones that varies, the change won't be all that large as the unit will stop working if you raise the salt level too much.

Cell life in essentially a constant amount of chlorine produced, regardless of the rate at which that chlorine is produced. In more technical terms, cell life is measured in amp/hours, which is directly proportional to the amount of chlorine produced. So it doesn't matter what the salt level is (as long as the cell is working).

with higher salt levels you can achieve the same chlorine output and/or amps with lower voltage applied, which benefits both power supply and cell and also reduces your energy consumption.

Some units can work up to sea water salt levels (examples would be some Autochlor models, and Autopilot I believe)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.