Umbrella sleeves with pavers?

mx702

Aug 2, 2010
MA
Did a search on the topic, but most of the discussion is related to poured concrete decking.

I'm having 1200 sqft of pavers layed in a month or so and I'm trying to gather information on proper installation of umbrella sleeves. Would this be similar to a concrete surface where they are set before the pour, or would a hole need to be bored for the sleeve after the pavers are set?

I am considering using this product:

http://www.coolpoolproducts.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=3

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :mrgreen:

I don't know if this is the 'Right' way to do it or not.

I installed an Alumawood cover over a large section of pavers (about 600SF). The guys created 5 'footings' for the patio posts prior to installing the pavers. The footings were about 30"x30" and about 12" deep.

Couldn't you pour a similar footing under the pavers where you want the umbrella sleeve? Install the sleeve into the concrete block and leave as much of it as you want above the concrete (make it flush with the finished pavers). My Alumawood guy used a drill bit and 'Red Heads' to mount the posts through the pavers and into the concrete. I assume the proper bit could cut a nice neat hole in a paver.

The sleeves from Coolpool work pretty well. We sell quite a few. Code says that any metal 3 ft from waters edge should be grounded.
This is not too hard to do and they have a grounding screw attached. They are made of 304 SS with a SS bar that runs through the bottom of the sleeve. This ensures that the PVC cap will never be pushed off. It should be set in a concrete footing. 12 x 12 x 6 is probably and overkill but will certainly hold well. Sand the area and lay the pavers. It should come out flush it your contractor does it right.
It comes with our SS Cap. (nice touch) One of the biggest complaints about the umbrella sleeves is have the right TX wind it will lift the umbrella out and lay it on your front yard. You can get our adapter that allows you to screw your 1.5" umbrella into the sleeve so it stays in place. They are bit more pricy than the PVC or plastic sleeves some builder suggest. In the long run, you get what you pay for.
They were initially designed for our Pool Volleyball Sytems that went into pavers but soon moved into the umbrella sleeve family.
Mr Coolpoolproducts.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.