NEW PENTAIR HEATER - SERVICE HEATER ERROR

I needed a new gas line and it was still free

After we installed our Starite 400K btu pool heater, we found that it would stall if other applicanes came on. Gas company comes out, says we need a bigger meter. They replace it, same problems. They swap other parts (aperature, regulator, safety device at the street) and it continues. So they decide that the gas line must be crushed or undersized. No problem, they run a new one (150 feet) from the street. All is well. My cost: $0.00.

OK, Here's my scoop. My gas co. is Centerpoint Energy. They said that generally if the distance between the meter and the heater is greater than 10 ft., they recommend an upgrade (mine is about 18 ft). If they upgrade, a flat fee of $350 will be paid in advance. Also, a regulator needs to be installed at the heater before they will do it.

Centerpoint, huh? One of my bestest customers....

not sure what to tell you...

if you decide to do it, i'll sell you the reg that I bought for myself (from myself), that I didnt use.

i'll sell it to you at my cost... which should be about 1/2 or less than anywhere else....$38.00

i dont know the right answer for you dave.

I think I might do a wait-and-see. I've spoken with several people in my area with very similar set-ups that don't have upgraded meters. Nobody seems to be having problems.

Worst case with that approach is if the heater is sucking out all of my gas this fall/winter, I'll just turn the heater off and wait to swim until after I pay the $350 and they come and do the upgrade.

Oh I forgot to include in that scenario, buy the regulator from you :smile:. So is that something I could do myself (install the regulator)?

I don't disagree with your idea... but do keep in mind, just bc your heater seems to operating, it doesnt mean that its operaitng properly.

I would guess that installing a regulator yourself would simply depend on your pipefitting skills and needs....

holler anytime...

HEY!

I get first dibs on the regulator!!!!! I started this thread didn't I? Just kidding.

Thanks for the advice....I'll let them fix the surface ignitor first and then see what happens. I'll call Centerpoint also in the meantime, they are my gas company too. Thanks for the information.

Well, it has been determined after fixing a heater that wasn't broken, that we are not getting enough gas to the heater (I think I remember asking my PB, the PB Supervisor and the gas company 3 months ago if it would be a problem and was told NO!)....so 2 -3 more weeks before centerpoint gets out here to replace the gas meter and another few hundred dollars!

SO for now, it's bubbles and 84 degree water!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.