equipment pad tilted

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
We've been here about 2 years now and first one, then all 3 of the pumps have developed small leaks. I notice that the equipment pad is tilited and some of the pumps are not even supported, they hang a half inch off the pad, supported by their pipes. The pad seems to have been washed out underneath from the rainwater than comes off the roof there, there is no gutter.

Advice needed.... can I just shim the pumps to give them some support, like I did for the big cart filter that is also tilted, or do I need to seriously consider reworking the pad? It would be a job way too hard for us to manage, we'd need a pro to get the piping back in line. Should I just wait until something breaks and we need to do work anyhow? Or is this going to make something break prematurely? Is it possible to prop up the pad itself? I can't see how one might do that really.

I will try to add a photo to this soon.

If gutters are not in the budget you may want to get some rainhandlers to disperse the water coming off the roof so you don't have a river eroding the soil under your pad in heavy storms. You can try to shim the pad or shim the equipment on the pad. I tried to shim my pad a few years back but the weight of the pad and equipment just caused the shims to sink into the ground.

I'd like to see a couple of pics but I think you can get that pad back to it's correct place by placing #57 rock under it. (#57 here in NC is rock roughly 1" in diameter.

Done correctly, you would temporarily "jack up" the pad just a little above it's correct height with the use of shims. Then, you may need to dig out a little under the pad to give you enough room to insert 2-3" of this rock as tightly as you can get it under there.

Then, when you remove the shims, the pad should settle nicely into the rock and assume it's correct height. The rock should prevent it from settling too much more at that point but, as stated above, you will need to find a way to divert that water as it will eventually find a path under the rock and begin to wash out the soil again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.