Minumum Pump Time?

HouTex

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, Texas
Is there an absolute minimum amount of time that you should run your pump? My pump and cartridge filter are oversized for my pool. I estimate that my pump is pulling about 100 gallons per minute which means that my water completely circulates in just over 1.5 hours. I've read that the goal is to turn the water over at least once a day. I'm still figuring out how long my pump needs to run for the Aqua Rite to chlorinate my pool at the proper level, but ignoring that issue for now, is there a recommended minimum number of hours that you should run the pump so the water does not become stagnant?

No, there isn't any specific minimum. You just need to run the pump so that enough filtering happens so that the water looks good. In practice this is often around one turnover per day worth of run time, but it can vary from that depending on various factors like water temperature and bather load. If your water looks good after two hours of pump run time, then go for it.

Re: Minimum Pump Time?

Thanks. I've probably been running it way too long. Over the weekend I cut it back to about 6.5 hours a day (3.5 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening) and I may even go lower depending on how long I need for the Aqua Rite to do its job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.