Quick answer needed on DE filter removal for cleaning

Oct 25, 2010
Temecula, CA
Hi guys,
I am cleaning my DE filter for the first time, thanks to some great instructions from simicrintz. I have already PM'd him my question but as my filter is currently apart, I need a quick answer so I thought I'd post here too.

I've gotten to the point where I am trying to get my filter out of the casing. Bruce told me to try to move it back and forth to loosen it or also that some of the filters individual pieces come out. I can't get it to jiggle at all to loosen and am afraid of damaging anything since I can't really tell what's dirt, what's filter and what's DE! When stuff crumbles away in my hand, I fear the worst. LOL

I don't know if anyone can tell from this photo if the filter can be disassembled in small bits or needs to come out as one piece and where do I start?

Thanks for a quick reply. :)

Anne

Trying to see what type (brand/model) that is - it looks older. Each one of those "fans" is an individual "grid". It looks like you have an "upside-down" configuration where water exits the grid at the bottom. Each grid should be separately removable - just grab one one-at-a-time and "wiggle" it as you pull upwards.

Then wash and inspect the grid. Older grids can get brittle and already be broken (or, you can break them easily if they are older). I generally look for broken pieces of plastic inside the grid, and holes in the fabric that covers the grid. A few small broken pieces of plastic aren't a big worry, but if there are enough broken pieces and the grid is collapsing then you might want to consider replacing the grid. Another piece that breaks and will require the grid to be replaced is the "output" of the grid (circular, at the bottom of your grid - the grid itself is the input).

Don't worry about stuff at the bottom of the tank - the tank should have an 1 1/2" "plug" that you can remove and then rinse the tank right before you start putting the grids back in.

Thanks so much. Between yourself and Bruce responding to me, I was able to figure it out. A bit easier once I learned that they came out separately, I just found one that would budge and it worked. I have the grids out now, it IS an older filter and there are some of the grids that are "rounder" than others - wondering if now they could have broken pieces in them. Also, one has a small tear - size of a quarter - is that something to be concerned about?

Anne

That looks familiar...
file.php

(From my thread a few weeks ago.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.