27 year old pebbletec

jingo6390

Bronze Supporter
Sep 13, 2017
Tucson
I have some severe cracking in my pool deck over the spillway from my spa to pool, I had a guy out today to give me an estimate on replacing the cracked deck (aggregate). He also looked at my pool and said that the pebbletec needs to be replaced, so he is going to give me an estimate on both repairing the cracked deck and replacing the pebbletec. So my question is how long does pebbletec usually last? This pool is about 27 years old and I believe the pebbletec is original.

Are you losing pebbles or is it cracking? Is the gunnite starting to show? Is there a leak? What about staining on the surface?

Here one article I found. Even though it's by a PB. How to Tell if Your Pool Needs Resurfacing | 3 Signs to Look for Today

Just because the Pebble is old doesn't mean it's not in good condition. My thought is if it's functional and not leaking don't worry about it unless you want a different color or it's too rough on the feet...

Can you post a picture?

27 year old pebbletec pool... replace?

I have a 27 yr. old pebbletec pool that came with my house, I know very little about the longevity of pebbletec. A pool plasterer saw my pool and said it needs to be replaced and he is willing to do it. I would like some less biased opinions. Here are some photos:
20171011_124115 (640x360).jpg20171011_124136 - Copy (640x360).jpg20171011_124327 (640x360).jpg20171011_124359 (640x360).jpg20171011_124413 (640x360).jpg20171011_124442 (640x360).jpg20171011_124454 (640x360).jpg

On the spa stairs that deep grey looks. Like the gunnite is exposed. If you have pebbles come off it may be time for a rehab.

If the pool isn't leaking and you don't mind the appearance you could probably leave it alone. Is it easy to balance the chemicals? Overtime the plaster has worn away and the pebbles get loose. Sooner or later the gunnite starts to show. I'd get 3-4 bids and have it redone. Depending on the tile line and coping you could do a complete remodel. It just depends on your budget.

We remodeled a pool pool a few years back. We changed the water feature from a rock water fall to sheer decent replaced the tile that was falling off and got rid of the ugly red copping. It was a larger pool and cost about 35k in Texas. Had we just replaced the plaster it would have been around 15k. Of course all area have different prices so it's wise to get a few quotes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How does the different areas feel to the touch?

We might be able to help you clear up the staining or whatever it is so it is more even.

It is hard to say how much it would cost as the cost varies so much from area to area. Even in big town the prices can be different from one side of town to another. Your best bet would be to get at least 5 quotes and go from there. Make sure to share the quotes so we can look over it for you to make sure you are getting the best bang for your buck.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.