Mesh Covers vs. Tarps

wilcie627 said:
I'd like to bump jordangregory's question: "I wonder if I could combind the tarp and mesh. perhaps put the mesh down for safety, then put a tarp on top to keep out the debris and sunlight."
Of course a solid safety cover is the $3,000 solution, but like jordangregory, I too have both safety mesh and tarp. Seems this combination would work just like a solid safety cover. Anyone?

if you put a tarp on top of the safety cover without pumping the water off you will destroy the safety cover not to mention void any warranty. I've seen customers put a tarp under the safety cover but this actually makes opening the pool very difficult as it's difficult to deal with the tarp once the safety cover is removed as there is no longer anything holding the cover in place.

Heckpools said:
My favorite safety cover is the light weight solid, with mesh drains in the middle.

Pools open crystal clear, they are lightweight unlike the old school solids, and with the mesh drains in the middle there is no worries about pumping off the cover during the off season.

The only downfall is when you open the pool there is usually a little bit of dirt on the floor under the mesh drains. Its a very small amount and takes minutes to vacuum. Other then that, they are my favorite at the moment, and thats all ive been selling. Customers who have had mesh covers for the last 10 years we so pleased this spring to open to a clear pool. One ladies pool was still sparkling, as if we never shut it down. That even impressed me! Here is a new 20 x 40 Lightweight solid with mesh drains we installed a couple weeks ago.
Id like to note, if you have a pool with a tile border, its important that the water level in the pool stays below the tile to prevent freeze damage. Your best option would be a fully solid cover. Or if you chose the solid with mesh drains, you would need to keep an automatic pump on the top step of your pool, so when the water level did rise, it would pump it out and away from the tile.

Could you send PM the info on where to get that cover?
Once the pool project is complete, that is the cover I want to get.

Update on this original question I asked or using a tarp with a mesh safety cover.

I put down my mesh over and then layed the tarp over the top. Whenever I got water on top, I pumped it off.
Just opened my pool. It is crystal clear. Just some worms on the bottom. I guess they crawled under the mesh cover. No big deal!
Loved having the assurance of the safety cover with the sun protection and water colection of the tarp. Perfect combo for me!

I have a mesh cover and I was thinking of putting a solid tarp over the top Of the mesh, maybe using zip ties to hook the tarp right onto the existing grommets in the mesh cover.

When the water accumulates on top, it just stretches the springs and not the cover itself right??!! Has anyone done this. I used my mesh last year and wasnt inpressed with the mess in spring!!

jodyliebing said:
I have a mesh cover and I was thinking of putting a solid tarp over the top Of the mesh, maybe using zip ties to hook the tarp right onto the existing grommets in the mesh cover.

When the water accumulates on top, it just stretches the springs and not the cover itself right??!! Has anyone done this. I used my mesh last year and wasnt inpressed with the mess in spring!!

How much the springs stretch depends on how much water you let accumulate on the cover and the water level of the pool. If the pool level is down far enough, and you let lots of water accumulate on the tarp all of the weight is on the springs and the cover. Water is heavy.

On the other hand, if the cover touches the water already in the pool, the pool water carries some of the weight. It's still a load on the springs and the edge of the cover. As I said water is heavy.

I switched from a solid cover with a mesh center section to a completely solid safety cover with a pump. The pump is a pain sometime since I don't leave it plugged in all the time but the pool is a lot cleaner in the spring.

My personal opinion is to skip the tarp unless you are diligent about removing the water that accumulates. Of course my $.02 is worth what you paid for it. :)

How about using a solid tarp with a few grommet holes around the center to let water through? Would this not be the same, effectively, as a solid cover with a mesh panel in the middle? If water level rises in the pool over the winter (as it does in my case, in the Seattle area), I simply occasionally pump to waste to bring the water level back down.
What would be the downside to this approach?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.