Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low CH in new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Low CH in new pool

My 2 week old new pool is registering a 110 for CH. Is that something I need to take care of now or wait a bit?
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Take care of it now. The water will have tendency to "pull" calcium from your new plaster walls. 200-400 is what most folks consider normal......don't overshoot by much as it can lead to other issues.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    You don't usually need to add calcium to a new plaster pool as the paster will naturally add calcium to the water as it cures. CH of 110 after two weeks is a bit lower than idea for this stage of curing, so you should probably add some calcium at this point, but don't add too much. The calcium will continue going up so you don't want to go all the way to your goal number just yet or you will overshoot. I would guess that there could be another 70-90 ppm of calcium coming from the curing.

The great majority of the calcium hardness increase will happen in the first three or four weeks. In another two weeks you can finish adjusting CH to your goal number.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School