DIY Riser for Wedding Cake Type Steps?

Aug 28, 2009
I am building a deck around my AGP, which effectively makes the top level another 8" above where it typically be. As a result, my wedding cake steps are a little short.

They sell risers for these, but man, they are $80 or something shipped.

Anyone made some sort of DIY version for risers?

I'm thinking of buying a set of those plastic shelves and using them as risers (the shelf part).

Other ideas?

If you are still building, why not just build the deck flush with or under the top rail? Otherwise, if it looks good, $80 doesn't seem that outrageous for something you'll use for many years to come :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
If you are still building, why not just build the deck flush with or under the top rail? Otherwise, if it looks good, $80 doesn't seem that outrageous for something you'll use for many years to come :goodjob:

I purposely put the deck over the pool rail, so that's a done deal, I'll have it finished up this weekend. It occurred to me that I'll have some extra vinyl fence rails left over that I can use. My though is to create something hidden anyway, and since I have 2 sets of stairs, $160 just kills my naturally CHEAP nature. ;->

bk406 said:
My 2 cents. Spend the $160 for the right stuff. They will last, and it will look good. Anything else probably would look a little "home made".

I hear ya. pool season is just about wrapping up, so the intention is to move the steps into the shop this winter and see what I can work out. If it looks good with a little DIY, all the better, but if not, I'll buy some risers.

I'm currently building a 65 cobra replica, so fabrication is more or less a way of life. ;->

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.