Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA rising along with pH?

1. Back To Top    #1

TA rising along with pH?

I have a new-this-summer Marquis plaster pool, about 33,000 gallons, with a Jandy Aquapure. FC about 7, CC -0-, pH 7.7ish, CH mid-200s, CYA 60, TA 120-130, salt 3300. Also, unbeknowst to me the poolbuilder added Mineral Springs salt rather than plain salt, so I also have a borate concentration of 50+ and whatever else is in that junk that I don't even know to test for.

A couple of odd things about my pool chemistry - I'd appreciate any advice.

First, I have the SWG down to 25% production and have cut the cirulation hours down to about 8 daily and I still have FC of about 7, which as I understand it is overkill for a SWG pool. Is it possible the cell is defective - generating too much? Should I have it looked at?

Second, about the time the poolbuilder started up the SWG, the TA shot up from a normal range to about 190 - maybe due to the Mineral Springs stuff, I don't know. I got it down to about 80 by lowering the pH to 7-7.2 and aerating - a slow painful process. As I've let the pH drift up (it looks around 7.7 now) the TA has gone back up with it, back now to 120-130. I thought that the whole point of this process was that the aeration would increase the pH without moving the TA. Any insights?

Thanks for your help.
    Polaris 380 Blackmax

2. Back To Top    #2
    The aeration process won't do all of the reduction in one shot. TA will always increase some as pH, so if you get you pH back into range you should be fine. There is no problem with 120-130 for TA. Normally, the aeration process is pretty quick, so maybe you are seeing normal pH creep, and not the pH increase due to the aeration.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    New plaster will constantly raise the PH, TA, and CH levels for up to a year. Most of the increase will be in the first few weeks but it will continue more slowly for up to a year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    chazas - That's a **** big pool! I would not worry about your SWCG producing too much. I have the same problem, if you can call it that. I am now down to running at 20%, 10 hours a day and it keeps my FC in balance with a CYA of 50.
    My Pool: 27K gal IG plaster, Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Polaris 280 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Also the borates will reduce chlorine demand. Producing too much chlorine would be a nice "problem" to have
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the advice. The only reason I was worried about the SWG was the possibility that it might be malfunctioning - generating at a much higher rate than the setting would indicate and shortening the life of the cell. I have no problem having a sparking clear, algae free pool! I used BBB on my last pool and the SWG really is easier.
    Polaris 380 Blackmax