It turned green on me!

tim1 said:
So by that post I guess I am now waiting for the CC to be lower then 0.5 YES! and the FC to drop back down to normal Not necessarily. Let it come down today however it wants then tonight you need to do the overnight free chlorine test. Directions are outlined in pool school. If you get a less than 1ppm loss from dark tonight to before dawn in the morning, then you can be convinced your organics are killed. If not, then keep shocking. My water has always been clear.
So what do I do with the little spots in the bottom? They look like toe imprints in the liner that are still dark, the brushing is not getting them off.Your brush may not be getting in that little divot...ie, the brushes aren't long enough and the divot too deep. Maybe try a clean rag on the end of the pole that you can get down in the divot. I have one or two of those that I have to do that to...darn moles!!

Thanks pool girl. Just the answers I was waiting for. I will test the water again in a couple hours and post results and then redo them in the morning. I was thinking of getting in the pool and going under and trying to hand scrub the divots with a rag. The cleaning rag on the end of the pole makes me shake. I dont want to RIP or TEAR the new liner. Maybe tomorrow I will get trip number 4 in the water after a year and a half........LOL Thanks again I will keep you posted......

Yesterday around 3:00 everything looked good FC was still above shock level, it was 19. Went to pick something up and returned around 7:00, and tested the water. No FC at all. Pool Calc said add 252oz of 6% bleach. I did this and continued to run my pump. I just checked the FC it is still not registering any FC level at all. So my question is do I add another 252oz of bleach or what else should I try?

nothing at all? Before you add bleach, try adding two scoops of powder to see if the sample will turn pink or try the yellow OTO chlorine test to see i the sample turns yellow. If that still shoes no FC...then go ahead and get your FC back up. Very strange, especially if you held FC of almost 20 through 3pm :scratch:

I just did as you said. It took to scoops of powder to turn the water pink and 64 drops to turn it white. I am just guessing know, that means the FC is at 34? Or because I had to add two scoops is the formula differant from what the test kit states?

So I have started the shock process over again, is that right? I wonder what happened yesterday to the FC reading in only a couple hours? I was thinking we had this under control, the water is clear and other then the black spots on the liner bottom it looked very good. I was going to get in today and hand scrub those off, guess I had better wait to see how this try works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nope...my guess is that you didn't add enough powder last night (heaping scoop) and thought you lost all your FC. To get to an FC of 32 (starting from zero), you would have had to have added around 4 gals of bleach last night, which I doubt you did?

tim1 said:
Can anyone tell me at what level of FC will it be ok to get into my pool? The wife would like to get sometime in it this weekend. It is still above shock level. Thanks

This is a personal choice but i will siwm in water up to shock level which for a CYA of 40 would be 16.

I started the shocking a couple days ago and was told not to test for CYA for a week, the CYA fell to zero. My shock level is kind of high right now so I guess she will have to wait till it gets to 16 or less to swim.......I know she will hate that.

tim1 said:
I started the shocking a couple days ago and was told not to test for CYA for a week, the CYA fell to zero. My shock level is kind of high right now so I guess she will have to wait till it gets to 16 or less to swim.......I know she will hate that.
Your CYA fell from 40 to 0? That doesn't sound right -- why would that have happened? If your pool is exposed to direct sunlight, then the FC should drop from 32 to probably under 20 in a day (if the CYA truly went to 0 then the FC will drop much faster than that). If the FC were 20 ppm and the CYA 40 ppm then this is similar to a pool with 1 ppm FC and no CYA so much like many indoor pools.

If you wanted to get your FC lowered in a hurry, you could buy and use a chlorine neutralizer (usually sodium thiosulfate) at the pool store. Personally, I'd just let the sun exposure drop it and go in tomorrow, but I am a bit concerned about the true CYA reading.

Thats not what happened. In an earlier post someone told me to add stablizer, which I did. The next day the CYA tested at 40, up from zero the day before. I was told this could not happen and DO NOT test for CYA for a week. Lastnight I tested and my FC did not register, PC showed add 252oz of 6A% bleach so I did it. THis morning FC still 0, someone said add two scoops of R-0870. That turned the water pink and my FC tested at 26. I am trying to shock this pool and get rid of algea on the bottom. It appears today is most peeps day off and help has not been easy to get now that I am COMPLETELY LOST.........

OK, so your FC is high as confirmed by that test. You said this morning it took 64 drops which for a 10 ml sample size would mean the FC is half that number or 32 ppm. Did you just retest and count 52 drops which is why you are now saying it's 26 ppm FC? If so, then it is dropping as I said it would from direct sunlight but seems to be at a rate that would indicate you do have some reasonable CYA in the water. I would just keep any pool cover off the pool (at least when the sun is shining) and keep it exposed to the sun and by tomorrow it may be closer to 20 ppm. If your wife wants to swim for a day, that should be OK though you'll probably notice some scent of chlorine in the water. Unless she swims first thing in the morning, the FC will continue to drop before she gets in.

I'm sorry I got confused when you wrote "the CYA fell to zero" thinking that meant you had no CYA in the water. Enjoy your pool tomorrow. I assume that the water is clear enough for you to see the bottom (for safety -- if not, then you shouldn't swim) and that the killing off of algae was only for a relatively small amount that you saw or a greenish tinge to the water. If it was really algae, then it should have turned from green to milky-gray by now.

tim1 said:
Thats not what happened. In an earlier post someone told me to add stablizer, which I did. The next day the CYA tested at 40, up from zero the day before. I was told this could not happen and DO NOT test for CYA for a week. Lastnight I tested and my FC did not register, PC showed add 252oz of 6A% bleach so I did it. THis morning FC still 0, someone said add two scoops of R-0870. That turned the water pink and my FC tested at 26. I am trying to shock this pool and get rid of algea on the bottom. It appears today is most peeps day off and help has not been easy to get now that I am COMPLETELY LOST.........

Tim...that someone was me and we confirmed that your FC was in fact not zero this morning, but 32 and I told you that you likely had the same testing error last night and that your FC was likely not zero. Take a deep breath. High FC can sometime cause you to need to add enough DPD powder to turn the sample blue...did you not read my post where I said to make sure you use a heaping scoop?

As mentioned before in this long set of posts, you should do an overnight FC loss test tonight to confirm you are done shocking...given you are holding a high FC, you have likely killed everything in the pool.

And yes, folks do like to enjoy their pools on the weekends, so replies are not as frequent...but you have to admit we are pretty quick for a FREE service. We're all volunteers, so making remarks like "I guess I'll have to wait till Monday to get some advice" will not win you any brownie points. We have been patient in trying to understand your issue, so please exercise the same when seeking help. Chemgeek gave you good advice.

I did not mean for this post to get so long.
I am very lost and confused as I have never done SWG nor had this problem
I feel as if I dont stop this posting I will lose my ability to come back in here and try to learn or gain assistance
I am sorry if I overstepped my bounds or upset anyone.
I think I have a surefire way to stop the growth and get back to blue. So I will go that route.
Aggain I did not mean to upset anyone and I am sorry if I did.
Tim1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.