run times and %

JasonLion said:
bk406 said:
2) It may actually have to run a little longer to keep that level
Everything else you said was right, but this one isn't. Higher CYA levels mean less total chlorine used, thus shorter run times at lower percentages, despite the higher FC target levels.
I can see where this might be true. I'm still not as convinced and sure of it as your are, though.

For the OP here : we have about the same setup except for the pump ... I am running from 12 mid til 6am and then again 3pm to 5pm --total 8 hours of run time setting of 45% -- my CYA level is 60 .. My FC stays in the 4-6 range.. my pool stays sparkling clean.

Ok ran it 12 hrs from 9am to 9pm. Today FC was 6.5 so I will test again tonight and tomorrow morning. Ran it at 30%. I know I am going to change the times though with the new pump and also not have such a long time between the pump running. There is to many dang bugs in the water after 12 hrs being off. I am looking at 4 on 4 off for 12 hrs a day or so...

OK I have ran the 2hp pump12 hr's a day for 2 days. FC has been steady 7 with 30% output. I lowered the output to 25% tonight. The new pump comes tomorrow 1hp 2 speed so I will have to tweak it a little more after the install. So far seems very easy to use and convenient. Planning on running the pump on low. I will run it on high if I have a larger swimmer load. Soon to have a party as the deck will be finished his weekend.

gqjeff, I have been experimenting last few years with minimum pump time and maximum % (100%), in order to minimize my power bill. Right now, in this extreme heat, I'm getting away with 6 hrs (2 hrs x 3 times a day) run time and the 100%. I've also been running an extra 6 hrs once a week or so to do some superchlorination during the hottest periods. Everything seems to be working fine for me. In cooler weather (say, low 80's or below), I drop the run time back to 4 hrs total, but stay at 100%. Of course, your setup may work differently. Not everyone wants to run on 100% (for cell life considerations), but my view is that if it's only for a few hrs a day and it works out, there's no harm done. The SWG is really cheap to run (just from a power usage standpoint) compared to the pump. So, figure out how to minimize your pump time, to get the minimum amount of circulation/filtration you require, and then just run the SWG % up as high as you have to, to maintain the chlorine level you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.