Clear Green Water

Thank you all so much. We really learned a lot from all of you. The pool is clear and blue again but the garbage man probably thinks we are bleach fiends because of all the empty containers!! Just let me get through Labor Day weekend without some kind of pool horror!!!

Thanks again,
Debbie and Joe

Now my pool looks somewhat cloudy. I can see the drain well but not "clearly". I put in Borax yesterday and shocked it hard...now the chlorine level is about normal but still in there. Before it would absolutely disappear overnight. I guess we have to keep putting it in.

Do you think the Polaris is stirring up the dead algae? The pool guy said turn off the filter and let it settle then vacuum it to waste but when I did that it turned into a cesspool in a few hours...pool water was 92 degrees at the time. The alkalinity is 135, ph is 7.2, cya is normal. We put in a light dose of clarifyer because sometimes it causes more problems so we are waiting to see what happens. Why does this always happen when it's a special occasion...Labor Day Barbeque.

I know I don't have time to flock it...If it would have happened Monday I would have done it. But it won't be ready by Saturday now if I try to flock.

Thanks,
Debbie

The "vacuuming to waste" idea, IMHO. has limited results. I think you would do better to turn the filter back on 24/7, keep the chlorine at shock level, and brush and vacuum frequently. Your pool will clear.

As an aside, advice from "the poolman" is frequently innaccurate and occaisonally contradictory to what you will find on this forum. Over the years, the advice found here has been solid and well thought out. Your post sounds like you are trying to throw "magic bullets" at the pool rather than applying the process of chlorination and filtering until clear.

For emphasis, clearing your pool IS a process and not something that is done overnight or with one secret ingredient.

Please do not misinterpret this post as harsh but rather to get you back on track of continuing the process.

Hi,

You probably didn't see my previous posts. I have been doing this for over a week and have put in so many bottles of bleach that it's pitiful. I have done exactly everything that has been said, even drained the pool halfway to reduce cya.

I already discarded the magic bullet thing. I did that in the past because I didn't know about this forum until I found it recently. I have done everything and it was almost clear then turned slightly cloudy. We poured in more bleach and more and more and more. It eats it pretty fast here in the 96 degree heat...pool is 90 degrees (was 92). It has rained every day this week. The pool needs resurfacing...there are many factors so I know there is no magic way to get it clear.

I even put in a new filter. I think most of it stems from the fact that the pool was left sitting for a year- full of sludge. After Katrina we had to move because we lost our home in Slidell and we inherited this pool, never having had one. No pool company would come here to help us because they were too busy putting in new pools and repairing things...couldn't be bouthered to do pool maintenance. Still even 2 years nobody will do it. In hindsight we should have had it drained, resurfaced, etc. but got bad advice from the @#$% pool store. Five hundred dollars later still fighting algae. Now two years later same thing. It gets on there in just a few hours. We brush it all day long and it is still on there, even with shock levels of chlorine....this has not been a thing where I expect it to get clean overnight...Naturally it has been clear up until I decided to have a barbeque...Murphy's Law. It has been 10 days now and I thought we had it licked over the weekend after spending our entire weekend draining it, etc.

I will continue to bleach, etc. I just checked and my ph is 7.2, TA is 100, cya is 80 (still high), chlorine is 5 but that is as high as I can test...it's bright yellow like the lid on the test kit vial...is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

You really need to get a good test kit. With a CYA of 80 you need to keep your FC at 6 or above for normal operation and above 20 to shock, but there is no way to test for that with your current kit. Without proper testing your chlorine level is going to be guess work and that isn't very reliable.

The kit I have is the hth that test 5 ways. It's not a strip and it only test they cya two times and you have to get more fluid, which is not available at my stores. Do you know where to get a test kit that tests chlorine levels above what mine tests? I need something more advanced I guess. I don't trust the pool company because they didn't say a word about my cya when I tested it 2 weeks ago. My Ph has always been on the low side and my ta was always dead on. I tested with two different kits and also two different brands of strips. I thought I had it surrounded with all that testing. The pool co said my ta was zero and gave me 3 buckets of alkalinity up and no ph increaser, didn't say anyting about my cya. I am finished with them for good. I called them and asked if they were sure the results were correct and that we had the right thing...they looked it up and seemed confused (different guy) and said just do what "Bryan" said. Since then it has been chaos. Now my chemicals are perfect since it has been refilled (ph and ta I mean). I am going to check the cya again although I am afraid to. I don't want to have to drain this thing some more...If I do, it's getting drained and resurfaced. I almost hated to refill it but the barbeque is scheduled and kids are coming. By the way, can you swim in a pool with the chorine levels like you are recommending? It seems scary.

Thanks,
Debbie

For chlorine you want the FAS-DPD test. It will measure FC and CC up to 50 ppm. This is available from TF Test Kits, Taylor, and AquaChek (imagine that). I think the full TF Test Kit is the best deal, but they also offer the FAS-DPD and CYA tests individually. From Taylor the full kit is the K-2006 or K-2006C, FAS-DPD alone is K-1515-A, and CYA alone is K-1720. Very few pool stores actually stock any of the tests you want, so it is pretty much Internet order only.

You can swim with high chlorine levels as long as there is any plausible level of CYA, which obviously you have. I recommend showering and rinsing off bathing suits after swimming at high chlorine levels.

Thank you. I wish I had known about this forum 2 years ago. You can't imagine how much money we have spent throwing shock in there for no reason. You know, when I had my water tested by the pool company 2 weeks ago I didn't tell you how much the original cya was...they said it was normal but when I tested it with a brand new fresh test kit it said 110. If they think that's normal that's all I need to know about them....I see different numbers on the cya though. What do you think is the actual acceptable numbers. I have seen two sets of numbers.

Thanks..you rule

cya level

If my CYA level is 90 why do you think my pool company never mentioned it when I had my water tested? Seems like a glaring problem at that level. I sure don't trust them.

Do you think I should be adding like 12 bottles of Clorox at a time and then more and more all day? It got cloudier and more algae after our guests left. They tried to make me put in Muriatic acid, soda ash, etc. thinking they were pool experts. I knew better. I guess I will have to drain it and resurface it.

It has been two weeks now and 30 bottles of clorox...I'm going to Lowes to get the strong pool stuff. They just started selling it here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: cya level

joedeb said:
If my CYA level is 90 why do you think my pool company never mentioned it when I had my water tested? Seems like a glaring problem at that level. I sure don't trust them.

Do you think I should be adding like 12 bottles of Clorox at a time and then more and more all day? It got cloudier and more algae after our guests left. They tried to make me put in Muriatic acid, soda ash, etc. thinking they were pool experts. I knew better. I guess I will have to drain it and resurface it.

It has been two weeks now and 30 bottles of clorox...I'm going to Lowes to get the strong pool stuff. They just started selling it here.

Deb, first let me apologize for not following this thread closer :( It looked like the others had you on the right track, but I would have suggested pouring straight bleach down the walls while the pool water was down - this would have 'nuked' any algae living in the porous above water sides and also given you a lethal dose of cl in the pool water to attack the rest of the sides and bottom. )

If your bottom is as trashed as you say, extra chlorine isn't going to hurt it - and with such a high cya level, will still be safe to swim in - though I'd wear an old swimsuit and shower right after getting out. Once you get to 'shock dose' ie, 20-25 ppm of cl, you can hook the vac up to a return, plug 1 or more of the other returns (to build up pressure coming OUT of the vac ) and ~'pressure wash' the surfaces with the high cl water, to really get the killing chlorine into the 'nooks and cranies'. I offer this method because brushing doesn't seem to be getting deep enough into the rough plaster.

If you go for the resurfacing, try to schedule it at the most likely time of the year for the 'swamp' water to be at it's ebb, given where the pool is located, the original builders may have left a 'well point' (a pipe that sticks up out of the ground to attach a pump to that has it's bottom lower than the pool) the use of which could make the difference between floating the pool and having it stay in the ground. They may sandblast the surface, they should acid wash it and sound it for hollow spots and chip out certain areas to get a good bond between the old surface and the new - while they are doing this pour bleach on every bit of the surface to fully kill any residual algae (using a watering bucket - like for watering potted plants, will will save a few gallons of bleach, as you'll get better dispersal)

One last thing, as for them not going " :shock: " when they saw your high cya - forgive them, for they know not what they're doing! They have the mind-set that under 30 ppm cya is bad anything over 30 is good. They think that if a little is good, lots is better, not realizing that too much cya reduces the efficacy of the cl. (they've probably also realised that a higher cya leads to more chem sales - in their minds: how can they loose?)

Thank you so much. Do you know how much it cost to get a 16 x 32 standard pool with the deep end for diving resurfaced nowadays? Since Katrina you can't get anything for a fair price around. Alas, if I could have only gotten a pool guy at first when I didn't know what I was doing, maybe I could have gotten a better grasp. I am pretty good at watching technicians fix things and being able to do it myself later...I never got to spy on anybody because they flat out wouldn't come...still won't.

I don't want to get gypped and there are just a few companies here. You can probably guess what they are doing in New Orleans...all new work and extensive repairs. That's why they don't want small jobs. Same with plumbers, ac, construction of all kinds. We are still fighting Katrina....

Do you reccomend putting a whole bunch of clorox at once...like 10 gallons????

Also, Lowes got our chemical business because of those louts at the pool store. They sent a dummy over here and after 500 bucks the pool was still bad. Been fighting algae for 2 years. Pool is 92 degrees sometimes. Right now 90.

TA 110
PH 7.4
ch...hard to say can't measure over 5 until my new kit comes in
cya 80
ca/ha 550
25,000 gunite

Forgot to mention the well pipe. You answered a question that has been bothering us for 2 years. There IS a pipe out there and I bet that what it is...At least it's there. It has rained constantly for a month so I don't know when this water will go down....bah...!!!

Deb, always glad to help when I can :oops: I honestly can't tell you about who to go with to resurface the pool (the problem is that they are soooo busy after Katrina that even the LOCAL and reliable folks may be 'over-taxed' with jobs :( ) There have most probably been some 'HACKS" that have come to the area that are doing substandard work, screwing pool owners and not honoring any warrentee work - we had crews that would come to Richmond, throw in 10 pools in 2 weeks and disappear! If you can deal with your current problem til things calm down, you'll be able to hire a reputable contractor from your area to do the work right, and have them address any issues that come up.

My best advice, right now, is to pour the 10 gallons of bleach in as often as necessary to keep that algae at bay until you can get a reputable and local company out there to resurface the pool ---- I don't want to see you waste money on the first 'out of town' contractor that will do the job, and end up getting scr&wed on the job!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.