Dead Algae not filtering out?

If your CYA result is accurate your normal FC target is 4-8. Typically we recommend keeping FC at the higher end of the target range. You never want to let the FC drop out of target range. Your FC shock level is 16. When you start the shock process you want to raise the FC to 16 and keep it there until you pass the overnight test. That may mean several additions of liquid chlorine several times a day for a couple of days until the FC begins to hold.

You can use a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket to help catch some of the finer debris in your pool. You mentioned that debris was re-entering the pool through the return. Have you checked the multi port valve to see if it is functioning correctly? You can also check the gasket and extend the amount of time you rinse the sand after backwashing to see if that helps.

The debris in picture 3 looks like algae to me. Does it puff into a fine cloud when disturbed? That is typical of algae debris. Metals usually deposit on the surface of the pool as stains and not as debris.

What are you using to shock the pool now? What has been your usual source of chlorine?

Yes, he stuff does puff into a fine cloud when disturbed.
I have been shocking with liquid chlorine shock. Unfortunately, the pool store guy is convinced that I have a problem with metals precipitating out and said I had to add "suspend" this morning and not add any other chemicals until tomorrow morning.
Tomorrow I should get my test kit so I actually know my FC and CC levels and I can do things correctly here.
Today I ran an experiement and took some very cloudy water from my pool to see if chlorine did anything to it.
I added clorine to a small bucket of direct pool water and it seemed to produce a milky white stubstance that went to the top. I think that means I have algae for sure.

I used my TC kit and mixed 50ml pool water to 250 ml well water. The reading was at 5 so I multiply by 6 and came up with a TC of 30 right now in my pool. Can't wait to get a good testing kit so I can see how much is FC and how much is CC.

I looked at my pool this morning. It looks great. A few desposits are still on the pool bottom, but it looks very good. Much better than yesterday.
I checked the TC and it was between 12-18 where it was at 30 last night before I went to bed.
I was wondering, what happens to the CC? Does it just disappear after it has done its job.

The CC doesn't just go away. The FC oxidizes the CC along with any other organics in the pool. That is why the shock process is not complete until you pass the overnight test. (FC loss of 1.0 or less and CC of .5 or less)

Ok, I have been shocking my pool and I have also taken apart all the above groud pipes looking for an air leak. I think I have found it. There was a PVC valve that was not glued together. AHHHHHH!
Also, I decided today I should remove my pool light so I could replace it. And guess what I found? Tons of green algae behind the light. The stuff just flew out when I pulled the light casing out. Is this a normal spot for algae to be? I know water is allowed to go behind the light casing to keep it cool, but I would assume that would not be covered in algae, but maybe it is normal. Or maybe this is my big problem. Do I need un-screw the light casing frequently to make sure there isn't algae there or should I just leave it along.

Finding algae in a light niche certainly happens now and then, though it isn't all that common. Usually it is too dark in there for the algae to grow, but some lights leak some light back there and sometimes the mounting ring lets enough light in.

You want to remove the light, brush around inside the niche and on the outside of the light fixture while at shock level. There is no need to open up the light fixture, in fact you should avoid opening the light fixture unless you need to replace the bulb.

I replaced what I thought was a valve that was not properly PVC cemented today in order to fix an air leak in my pool. Low and behold, after fixing the problem, I am still having the air leak. I now believe the leak has to be underground.
I called the old owner of the pool today (I have had it for 2 months), and they told me they had the same problem a few years back and had a guy dig up pipes to fix everything.
What is the process of digging up the pipes like?
Is there a way to know where the leak is?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got my new test kit.
10pm results - FC = 12; CC = 0

My CYA is 40. I think I just have regular algae. Not sure what it is. What FC level should I be shocking at? 24 for mustard Algae or just at 16 for a normal shock.

11pm - after adding 1 gallon shock at 10pm, my results are
FC = 17; CC = 0.5

Feeling better about my algae problem, but feeling horrible about the air leak that I can't fix. WHen I sit in the pool I immediately get air bubbles attaching all over my body. Visability from above the pool looking in is fine, but when you look under water with goggles you just see cloudyness. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What happens in closed places of little or no circulation is that the Algae gets started in the pool and grows in those places and then when you shock, because of the poor circulation, the high FC in the water gets used up by the first few layers of algae before it gets into the niche so the algae keeps growing in there. Once you clean everything out and keep the water at the recommended level for your CYA the chlorine diffuses throughout the water even in areas of low or no circulation and keeps the algae from growing.

Does that make sense?

OK,
at 9pm last night I had a FC of 16.5, CC of 0. This morning at 6am I had a FC of 15 and CC of 0.5. I added enough chlorine to get back to a shock level above 16, which was my goal, but am I close enough to stop shocking. I assume there is some standard error in the testing.

You are very very close, with an overnight loss of 1.5, but I would continue for another day. Our recommendation is to shock until the overnight loss is 1.0 or lower (which includes an allowance for the standard amount of testing error).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.