Sinking chlorinator, input wanted

As with any injection system (yes,a floater is an injection system) if it sits in a pool of still water (which pools should never be) it highly chlorinates in the immediate area of the device and very slowly diffuses into the surrounding water. That is true whether it's on the top or on the bottom or in the middle. Once circulation is estabilished, the water gets carried away from the immediate area of the feeder and dispersed throughout the pool.

I have taken samples from the top, middle, bottom, near the sides, in the center, etc and the FC concentration is the same wherever I test it. Of course I have good circulation. Circulation is a huge factor in properly chlorinating a pool. Place of injection has no bearing if you have adequate circulation and mixing.

Where you inject the chlorine has no bearing on how much it takes to properly chlorinate the water either.

ride525 said:
Does the chlorine on the surface burn up quickly like safensavepoolchemist.com says? Does much of it get released to the atmosphere?
Well, yes and no. If the pump is running and the circulation is good, then there won't be any appreciable difference. On the other hand, if the pump hasn't been running for several hours, or the circulation is especially terrible, then the chlorine will be more concentrated near the dispenser and more chlorine will be lost near the surface than from the deep water. But even then, the difference shouldn't be anywhere near as large as what Safe&SavePoolChemist claims.

Only a microscopic amount of chlorine will be released to the atmosphere. Nearly all of the chlorine loss is due to breakdown from the UV in sunlight.

Having the tablet dispenser near the bottom of the pool will be worse for the pool surface and better for a solar cover. Replacing a solar cover is far less expensive that replacing the vinyl liner or re-plastering.

Safe&SavePoolChemist said:
That's why you have to regularly use shock.
That doesn't make even a tiny amount of sense. First off, you don't have to regularly use shock regardless of how you add chlorine, at least if you know what you are doing. The need to shock comes from a failure to maintain proper chlorine levels. I suppose you could argue that the Sunken Treasure popping to the surface serves as a reminder to add chlorine, but given home owner behavior I've seen I wouldn't expect that to make much difference.

Shane1 said:
Safe&Save how do you recomend pool owners regulate CYA levels?
From BBB Method for Beginners, here in Trouble Free Pool:
CYA can be increased by adding cyanuric acid, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. CYA is just about the only chemical you need to go to a pool store to get. Check the label to be sure you are getting cyanuric acid since there are other products that use the words stabilizer and conditioner in their names. To lower CYA you must replace water, or if replacement water is extrememly expensive use a reverse osmosis water treatment.

I don't know if there are any other ways.

Jeff

ride525 said:
Shane1 said:
Safe&Save how do you recomend pool owners regulate CYA levels?
From BBB Method for Beginners, here in Trouble Free Pool:
CYA can be increased by adding cyanuric acid, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. CYA is just about the only chemical you need to go to a pool store to get. Check the label to be sure you are getting cyanuric acid since there are other products that use the words stabilizer and conditioner in their names. To lower CYA you must replace water, or if replacement water is extrememly expensive use a reverse osmosis water treatment.

I don't know if there are any other ways.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff I've read pool school several times. It sounds like the claims of possitives effects on the environment may be a trade off for the negatives of water replacement.

Let me just through this out there. If I'm using 4 pucks a week and this product can cut it down to two pucks a week that would also cut my CYA addition in half....right? :idea: :?

Thanks again for all the feedback and thoughts.

Shane1 said:
simicrintz: I was really hoping to see those plaster damage pics. :whip:

I've gone through all of my pictures, and I do not have any that specifically show the step area damage (I take pictures of every pool I see, so that I can refer back when speaking to a customer. I don't take a lot of step pictures, since I am looking to address re-plaster on these visits, and it really isn't that important, other than to tell people to not use floaters again!).

I'll be back at it next week, and I will try and take some "step specific" photos if I have the opportunity. I'm sorry I don't have anything now, but it really is pretty common.

I like the concept for the sunken treasure device and IF the science behind it is sound then all the better. The price kinda put me off, seems a little high at $28 shipped. My pool currently has a EZ View float, that works ok. Basically a circle that floats vertical when full then horizontal when empty. It has a small piece of foam at the top to make it float. Well after removing the foam at the top the unit sinks when pucks are installed and floats when empty. Seems a much better deal at $10: http://www.nationaldiscountpoolsupplies ... hdiby.html

PS my pool has plaster damage on the steps due to a floater, I'll try and post pictures tomorrow. Disclaimer: the pool plaster at other parts of the pool is in poor to very poor shape as it is original to the pool built in 1980 and it sat empty for about a year before I bought the house 2 years ago.

Moore101, your $10 price for the EZ view float is about $19 shipped ($8.99 shipping), correct?

One other thing to think of is how close to the bottom the openings of the chlorine dispenser will be, and if the flow will keep the plaster damage down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the 75% loss that everyone is talking about is supposed to be due to the majority of the chlorine being up at the surface of the pool/oxygen, & UV RAYS/sun? at least that is what I had been told by several local pool supply owners.

I have a pool and about 2 years ago when I heard this tried a few experiements similar to what this type of container is supposed to do. (yes I heard the commercial today and looked at the website a few minutes ago. and said - wow that is kind of what we were looking for.

Our most successful experiemment was when I took a small mesh toy bag with draw string - for holding small groups of toys together - I added a longer string to it, put the chlorine tabs into it and hung it from a pool noodle (one of those long styrofoam sticks.) It hung about 2 feet from the bottom of the pool in the deep end (diving pool) and on the shallow end I hung it off the rope with the bouys one foot from bottom of pool.

I tested the water before I started by putting a plastic bottle opening down in the leaf skimmer net and quickly pushing it to the bottom to gether the water at the bottom, then tested the same way for several through my 2 month long test cycle. (it was amazing how there was almost no chlorine in the bottom of the pool when I STARTED even though I had shocked the pool the last week, and the top 2 feet of the pool tested fine)

I did not have to shock the pool even once while I was using this method.

Living in Phoenix Arizona USA where it is FULL SUN every day we eat through our chlorine, so I was happy to see just how much chlorine was saved. I did not count how much I just noticed I was not replacing it every other day and I was not shocking once a week.

I had to replace the actual bags once because the chlorine ate through the mesh bags. And decided it was too dangerous to have a string hanging in the deep end. but for testing purposes it was fine. After seeing these treasure things I am going to take my next extra $55 (usa) of pool funds and get 2 for my diving pool. It will save me that much in chlorine in a short time.

Liquid chorine is not a good option for us because there is no safe place to store it the garage is too hot, the so it the patio. and who wants to go to the store every 3 days for chlorine anyway.

creativone said:
After seeing these treasure things I am going to take my next extra $55 (usa) of pool funds and get 2 for my diving pool. It will save me that much in chlorine in a short time.
:shaking2: Honestly? You would rather spend $55 on these ridiculous gizmos than on a proven device such as this inline chlorinator?

creativone said:
Liquid chorine is not a good option for us because there is no safe place to store it the garage is too hot, the so it the patio. and who wants to go to the store every 3 days for chlorine anyway.
Who goes to the store every 3 days for chlorine? :lol: If you are using that much save yourself some trouble and get a SWG, it will pay for itself.

Let's see...new member, one post that happens to be on this thread...wonder who this could be???

Beez-That inline chlorinator is as bad as the "sinker"! That is a unit designed for pucks, no different than the floaters, and awesome at dispensing way too much CYA as time goes on. Don't refer these to people to buy, when I have several laying around that I have pulled out of pools after people learned about BBB! I'll give 'em away!

Is it just me or does Creativeone's post look suspicious? 1st post looks like an infomercial for this device. Why the reference to USA (Phoenix Arizona USA, and $55 (usa))? Please forgive me if I'm misreading your post.
Also, how often do you partially drain and refill your pool water?

Anyone using tri-chlor tablets shocking their pools once a week?

I noticed that also, Sean. I've also noticed a lot of "first time posts" lately that sure seem to look like trolls to me. I may be being pessimistic, but I'm just not responding to those. Must be the season!

simicrintz said:
Beez-That inline chlorinator is as bad as the "sinker"! That is a unit designed for pucks, no different than the floaters, and awesome at dispensing way too much CYA as time goes on. Don't refer these to people to buy, when I have several laying around that I have pulled out of pools after people learned about BBB! I'll give 'em away!
Hey Bruce, I'm with you man! I would never recommend pucks as the sole means of chlorination over bleach or SWG. I was just trying to follow the logic behind these guys arguing for floater or "sinker" technology. They are admitted puckheads, if I may coin the term, but if they are insistent on using pucks why use inferior products when there are better solutions available. That's all I was trying to say...

Beez said:
simicrintz said:
Hey Bruce, I'm with you man! I would never recommend pucks as the sole means of chlorination over bleach or SWG. I was just trying to follow the logic behind these guys arguing for floater or "sinker" technology. They are admitted puckheads, if I may coin the term, but if they are insistent on using pucks why use inferior products when there are better solutions available. That's all I was trying to say...

"Puckheads" :lol: That's a keeper! I'll give you credit for the first three times I use it, but after that I'm done :-D

Thanks for the laugh (and the clarification) :cheers:

If you are a puckhead, by far the best thing to do is to get a tablet chlorinator. That beats both floaters and sinkers by a mile, with none of the possible risks of either float.sink approach.

If you are not a puckhead, and are only using tablets because you are going on vacation for a week, it doesn't really matter how you do it. None of the pros/cons are going to make much difference in one week. Floaters are easy to get and inexpensive, so that is the obvious way to go, unless you happen to find a sinker lying around from the previous owner.

Sorry to revive an 11 year old thread, but I went base on this when I recently purchased the Sunken Treasure 2 AKA Touchdown. There are claims it does not stain plaster. Just wanted to let whoever considers this product in the future that after only 8 hours of use, I now have a blackspot where the sunken treasure was.

Attachments

• EB34643C-F0F5-44A1-A19A-D7C38A88F95D.jpeg
    EB34643C-F0F5-44A1-A19A-D7C38A88F95D.jpeg
    388.2 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.