new numbers....still cloudy.

OK, Just to recap. You started off with a cloudy issue then we got a little sidetracked on the CYA issue but your water is still cloudy. Does that sum it up?

You bought a 6-way test kit at Walmart because you were impatient. When you get a little patience, go ahead and order a good test kit from TFtestkits. :-D You won't be sorry you did it.

Now on to your problem. Post a full set of test results from as recent as you have them and tell us how you got them.
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

My thought is that you need to shock. I read back though the posts and I don't see where you've properly shocked the pool. I did see where you cleaned the filter of the green stuff that was on it.

Post back and we'll help clear this up.

O.K. you have added 4 pounds of stabilizer? How often are you adding chlorine and what is the shock level you are targeting? If you can post a current set of test results we can see what changes you may need to make to clear the pool.

Also, have you cleaned the cartridge lately?

Keep us straight here. You added four pounds of CYA to the 10 lbs you already added?

If you're keeping it at shock level for your CYA level, then yes, keep shocking until you lose 1ppm FC or less overnight, have .5ppm CC or less AND your pool is clear if you don't have a FAS-DPD test kit.

With your kit only being able to test to 5ppm you can't use it to shock properly but we can cheat it a bit.

With a CYA of 45 your shock FC is 16 so here's what to do. Take a sample of pool water and carefully measure an amount of it. Then very carefully measure twice as much chlorine free water as the sample and mix it all together. Pour it into the testor and read the result then multiply it by 3. The test will be pretty inaccurate at that dilution but it'll allow you to guesstimate the amount of chlorine needed to bring the FC back to shock level. Carefully measuring the parts of pool water and chlorine free water is the key.

O.K. your shock level is 16. You will not be able to tell when you are at shock level with a test that can only read up to 5. For now you can use the dilution method as Bama described, but it is not as accurate as a test designed to read levels over 5 ppm. You need to get a dpd-fas drop test to accurately measure the FC for shocking the pool. Also we do not know how much of your TC is CC and how much is FC. Use the pool calculator to add enough bleach to get to 16ppm.

I strongly urge you to get a dpd-fas drop test if you want to get control of your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you multiply the result by three when doing the test with dilution as you described.

Yes, you want to raise FC up to 16. Usually you can get fairly close by using the Pool Calculator, and then just use the test kit to confirm it.

Yes, your current result with the dilution test is 3, but you said without dilution it looked higher than 5. That is where the trouble comes in using the dilution method to test. Do your best and try to get the FC to 16 and hold it there until the pool clears. Make sure you are cleaning the cartridge regularly and keep the pump running 24/7 until the shock process is complete.

Keep it that high until the water is clear and CC < 0.5 and and overnight FC loss < 1.0

Read "how to shock" (link in my signature) for complete instructions.

Two of those critera (FC and CC) are impossible to determine without a good FAS/DPD test kit. I read though the thread and it didn't look like you are planning to upgrade.

I actually woke up this morning and could see the bottom. Not just kind of...but really the bottom. The actual print on the lining!!!! But I could also see what needed vacuumed. I have sand/pebbles in my pool from a broken container that held down the wedding cake steps, and am having trouble getting them. Also I think my return may be shooting what I vacuum back into the pool. I think that I just need to clean the filter....Is it a bigger problem than that?? Any advice is great. FYI I am keeping pool at shock level at this time.

If you're shooting vacuumed items back into the pool you either have hole(s) in your cartridge(s) or they aren't seated correctly and are allowing dirt to bypass them.

Good for you. You see it makes a differeence when you shock properly. Don't lose site of the fact that you still need a good test kit. The best thing it'll do for you is keep you from having to do this again.

It may not be shooting stuff in. I just cant tell. It may have just been me disturbing the water. I am beyond thankful that you guys have helped me. I am going to get a better test kit than the cheap one I bought. I know I am not done but WOW.....the difference that I see already. I can't believe the water can be saved after what I started with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.