Question About Adding Baking Soda & Borax

Maybe I should talk my husband into just converting to a SWG...we saw them earlier at WM and he said we would get one next year. If I tell him that I am going to have to drain more water from the pool though and that a SWG would work at that CYA level he might be convinced! LOL! And then I will tell him I have to have a NEW test kit because strips don't test SWG! HEHE ;)

Now you have a plan. If you do go with an Intex SWG go to Amazon or Ebay and get a last years model. Do a search here and you'll see that they've added copper ionizer to the 2010 models and reduced the chlorine output too.

Another question...just talked to my husband about the SWG...It just so happens one of our local stores is offering the Intex brand you mentioned for $189.99. My husband wants to know other than buying the generator how much it costs to maintain...the salt and if you need anything else? Hurry before he changes his mind. LOL!

Great we are headed to the store now to get it. I added the 9 more jugs of bleach to my pool and it is definitely shocked. Will this affect adding the salt. Should we wait for the chlorine to come back down or go ahead and hook the generator up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since adding the bleach my strip had shown me a darker purple than the purple on a 10 ppm and has held that since 2:45...I just tested again and still the same reading and it is now 8:23 pm...here are the strip readings after waiting the suggested 15 seconds
FC darker than 10
CL 7.5
PH 7.2
TA 80
CH 200
CYA probably a 60 after only 15 seconds.

We decided against the SWG for now...the store that advertised the didn't have anymore and WM had the Intex but had Copper ionizer...I talked to my cousin who has the same size pool as mine and she is using SWG with copper Ionizer. She said she has had nothing but problems with keeping te water clear and also has stains in her pool. I guess for now I am sticking with the BBB method.

Everything looks ok but we really don't know if you're really shocking becasue it's a guess with the strips. Now all you need to do is use some of that SWCG money to get a good test kit. :)

It'll take longer to complete shocking but wait till the chlorine comes back to the highest reading and then add enough bleach to get back to shock.

What does the water look like?

Just got through testing again....Chlorine and free chlorine readings were still on the high side this morning and the water is sparkling with a small small small bit of dullness. So I need to get it back to shock level again? How many more jugs this time? LOL! Yeah I am still working on the test kit....I wish they sold them in pool supply stores. I just hate ordering stuff on line unless its ebay. And one more question.....According to the pool calculator I am suppsed to add 3 lb. 14 oz. more borax and 6 lbs. 4 oz. of baking soda. I have not added any baking soda since the refill...my PH and alkalinty seem to be holding at 7.2 PH and 80 Alkalinity. What will this do if I add these?

Well good for you. You will not be sorry. I promise you.

Don't add anything at this point except bleach. As soon as the FC comes back down to where you're sure it's at 10ppm go ahead and add 3 gallons or (3½) 96oz jugs.

OOps...too late! I already added the borax and the baking soda before you posted and then added 3 jugs of 96oz bleach. I just tested again usin these dang color blocks and this is what I got approx.
CL 10 ppm Highest color reading
FC 20 ppm Highest color reading
PH over 7.2 but not 7.8
TA over 40 but not as high as 120
CYA over 50 but not as high as 100
CH somewhere between 100 and 250

I HATE THESE Strips they are so undecided!

Do you think that I have overkilled on the shock treatment?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support