Using sodium bromide along with chlorine

Re: Help me get clear water- what am I missing?

Mr. Ed said:
dmanb2b said:
Not sure I would advise using sodium bromide, even in small quantity I understand will increase chlorine demand. I think it's an option (when your out of options) in pools with high CYA and folks not being able to lower CYA due to water restrictions, but wouldn't you in essence convert the pool to a bromine pool by doing so?

I think the OP will do just fine with chlorine at MA shock level, but that'ts just my opinion and certainly don't have experience using bromine, but recall reading that before I found TFP and was researching pool sanitizers :scratch:

It's basically what yellow out and green to clean are composed of and costs a fraction of what they do...when used in conjunction with the chlorine it is highly effective and the pool owner will typically use less chlorine this way than by strictly keeping a high chlorine count for multiple days vs the 24 hrs it typically takes with the sodium bromide

Yellow Out is not sodium bromide.

And I also agree with the consensus...sodium bromide is a good alternative when cya levels are high.

Coral Seas Yellow Out (MSDS) and Coral Seas Green to Clean (MSDS) both have only a single ingredient of "Disodium salt of ethylenediaminetetraaceticaciddihydratediammoniumsulfate" which is a disodium salt of EDTA with ammonium sulfate. EDTA is sometimes used as a metal sequestrant, though it also has some algae inhibiting properties, but the ammonium sulfate along with chlorine results in monochloramine which kills algae. Both of these will create a significant chlorine demand, but which will drop in matter of days to a week (the monochloramine can be removed with chlorine in hours, but the EDTA takes longer).

chem geek said:
[quote="Mr. Ed":3m7ul8wf]chemgeek definitely knows his stuff....that's obvious....but testing of the water 24 hours later shows that the bromide isn't present
When I wrote that bromine only works well for high CYA situations, I didn't mean that it doesn't work unless the CYA is high. As you wrote, it works regardless of CYA level. I meant that it is only really needed when the CYA is high because when the CYA is lower you can shock with reasonable amounts of chlorine. By "works well" I meant in an overall sense balancing against other options such as using chlorine.

How are you able to test for bromide and distinguish it from chloride? And how are you able to test for bromine and distinguish it from chlorine? The standard test kits that test for chloride also react with bromide and quite frankly there is always so much chloride in the water that it will swamp any bromide result anyway. As for bromine, the tests are for halogen where bromine and chlorine will both react whether it is an OTO, DPD or FAS-DPD test. The only difference is that technically bromine is 2.25 times heavier than chlorine which is why the test kits have dual scales with bromine twice as high as chlorine. If you measure a zero bromine reading, that just means there is no bromine or chlorine, but it does not mean there is no bromide. Any chlorine that is then added to the water would then reactivate the bromide to bromine and would show up in your test kit as if you had chlorine, but it's really bromine because the test kit does not know the difference.

If you only add a fairly small amount of sodium bromide to the pool so that you are only generating a few ppm, say less than 5 ppm, of bromine (equivalent to around 2.2 ppm of chlorine, but unbound to CYA), then that might outgas from the pool in a week or a month, but it's not going to be hours or days. The reason is that unlike chlorine which breaks down to become chloride and then gets stuck there (unless you have an SWG system), bromine that gets broken down by sunlight or that oxidizes an organic becomes bromide which then gets reactivated by chlorine in the water to become bromine again. So the pool becomes a bromine pool and bromine or bromide only leave the system through 1) slow outgassing (accelerated by more aeration if you want to make it happen faster), 2) dilution of the pool water and maybe some physical removal in backwashing if you are lucky enough to have bromine attach to some organic particles large enough to get filtered out.

Bromide + Chlorine ---> Bromine + Chloride
Bromine broken down by sunlight or oxidizing ammonia or an organic ---> Bromide

So you can see from the above cycle, that you don't get rid of bromide/bromine except by its physical removal from the water. This is very different than chlorine which goes to chloride (salt) and stays there.

To a large extent this is all somewhat of a moot point since what does it mean to have a bromine pool? It's not a disaster, but it usually means a somewhat higher sanitizer demand because bromine does not bind to CYA so gets broken down by sunlight, though not as quickly as unbound chlorine. Actual reports from users are mixed, however, in terms of sanitizer demand when using bromine -- some see a higher demand, some see about the same (no one sees a lower demand). So other than carefully measuring the sanitizer demand and noticing a difference in consistent conditions, you can't really know when you are back to chlorine instead of bromine. Technically, you might smell a difference if you are very familiar of bromine odor vs. chlorine.

If I were going to use a product that bypassed CYA, then ammonium sulfate to form monochloramine would be an alternative and at least in this situation one knows that one can add chlorine to get rid of the monochloramine and can measure to know that the Combined Chlorine (CC) has truly dropped.

Richard[/quote:3m7ul8wf]

Your answer is exactly what I was looking for!!!!!!!!! Thank you Richard!

What we use to test with it's really a combination of the Taylor k-2005, Taylor 1767 when needed, the Pentair R151190 and the Accu-Scan 1 and II computerized scanner. Granted we can't see the bromide residual with any of those tests, but we can check the chlorine demand via the Accu-Demand 30 chlorine demand test.

bk406 said:
Also, bromine isnt recommended if you have a chlrorine generator.

I'll honestly say that I don't know that I have ever had a SWG pool get MA....

interestingly...the guys from Coral sea's are the ones that told us their product used Bromide....

the msds doesn't lie tho :-D

Mr. Ed said:
We've had quite a few on this forum. For new users to this site it was usually because they were following the "industry standard" recommendation from their SWG manufacturers of 1-3 ppm FC with 60-80 ppm CYA. So some people had 1-2 ppm FC with 80 ppm CYA and were getting algae and a small number had yellow/mustard algae so it does happen. A particularly bad case (with more complicated reasons) is described in this thread, but there are quite a few others. Sometimes it's an SWG that's scaled or on the fritz or it's a CYA level that's too low (so the SWG can't keep up with sunlight), etc. Many different reasons, but the bottom line is an FC that gets too low relative to the CYA level.

chem geek said:
[quote="Mr. Ed":34q72nro]
We've had quite a few on this forum. For new users to this site it was usually because they were following the "industry standard" recommendation from their SWG manufacturers of 1-3 ppm FC with 60-80 ppm CYA. So some people had 1-2 ppm FC with 80 ppm CYA and were getting algae and a small number had yellow/mustard algae so it does happen. A particularly bad case (with more complicated reasons) is described in this thread, but there are quite a few others. Sometimes it's an SWG that's scaled or on the fritz or it's a CYA level that's too low (so the SWG can't keep up with sunlight), etc. Many different reasons, but the bottom line is an FC that gets too low relative to the CYA level.[/quote:34q72nro]

I could not agree more with Richard. From our experiences, there is nothing magical happening in SWG pools in regards to mustard algae.

Pontiac said:
chem geek said:
[quote="Mr. Ed":3ukz8nmm]
We've had quite a few on this forum. For new users to this site it was usually because they were following the "industry standard" recommendation from their SWG manufacturers of 1-3 ppm FC with 60-80 ppm CYA. So some people had 1-2 ppm FC with 80 ppm CYA and were getting algae and a small number had yellow/mustard algae so it does happen. A particularly bad case (with more complicated reasons) is described in this thread, but there are quite a few others. Sometimes it's an SWG that's scaled or on the fritz or it's a CYA level that's too low (so the SWG can't keep up with sunlight), etc. Many different reasons, but the bottom line is an FC that gets too low relative to the CYA level.

I could not agree more with Richard. From our experiences, there is nothing magical happening in SWG pools in regards to mustard algae.[/quote:3ukz8nmm]

oh and by no means did I mean they don't or couldn't...I just haven't seen it. Most likely due to most of them being properly set up with proper amounts of CYA, proper circulation and optimal chlorine output levels. :D

I am really missing the site lately but things should slow down by the end of July and I'll be more regular with my visits!

I live in the tropics and during the summer it is very hard to keep the algae from taking over the pool. I use 3 times the chlorine my stateside friends do and it is stll a problem. Run filter 14 hours per day. Sun is amazingly bright and pool water is 93 F. I use sodium bromide 1 or 2 times per summer and it seems to work well. in October the problem will go away, happens every year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Berourke, welcome to TFP!

Your issues in the summer are almost certainly caused by inappropriate CYA levels, either too high or too low. If you properly manage your CYA level you will be able to maintain the pool with chlorine alone at a lower total cost.

Newbie here. PhD chemist, however.

Here's my practical experience with sodium bromide in a SWG pool (20k gallons, no cage, SWG, Florida summer):
I rarely get MA since the FC doesn't vary in extremes like when I was using liquid CH pre-SWG.
HOWEVER!!! If you BF (brainfart) and don't watch the pH, the FC will drop to nearly zero. (Remember your chemistry: the electrochemical reaction which produces Cl2 or ClO- also produces OH- which raises your pH and slows the Cl2 production. You've got to add acid!)

You wake to find a green pool. Now what?
1) Superchorinate with the switch on the SWG? Does not work in a reasonable time.
2) Superchlorinate with a ton of liquid chlorine? Still doesn't clear it in a reasonable time.
3) Add granular sodium bromide and a gallon of liquid chlorine, pump it 36 hours, and the miracle occurs! Clear and colorless. Reliable, works every time, even from pea soup.

Where's the Br- go? Does the bromide leave the system through Br2 outgassing or getting tied up in filterable Br solids or soluble organics? I can't believe that there is any appreciable bromine (Br2) concentratioin surviving to outgas. Don't guess, answer if you KNOW what happens to the Br. It must not cycle for long since I've had to do this once or twice a year going on 5 years.

This has caused no apparent harm to my SWG pool. Big question though, am I actually harming the physical SWG cell or am I upsetting the long term pool chemistry?

beachcat500 said:
1) Superchorinate with the switch on the SWG? Does not work in a reasonable time.
2) Superchlorinate with a ton of liquid chlorine? Still doesn't clear it in a reasonable time.
3) Add granular sodium bromide and a gallon of liquid chlorine, pump it 36 hours, and the miracle occurs! Clear and colorless. Reliable, works every time, even from pea soup.

How much sodium bromide do you add?

beachcat500 said:
Where's the Br- go? Does the bromide leave the system through Br2 outgassing or getting tied up in filterable Br solids or soluble organics? I can't believe that there is any appreciable bromine (Br2) concentratioin surviving to outgas. Don't guess, answer if you KNOW what happens to the Br. It must not cycle for long since I've had to do this once or twice a year going on 5 years.

This has caused no apparent harm to my SWG pool. Big question though, am I actually harming the physical SWG cell or am I upsetting the long term pool chemistry?

Once a bromine pool....below is a link a poolsolutions.com article on the subject

http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/once- ... -pool.html

past discussion as well

help-want-to-switch-from-bromine-pool-to-chlorine-t19393.html#p159172

dmanb2b said:
beachcat500 said:

Once a bromine pool....below is a link a poolsolutions.com article on the subject

http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/once- ... -pool.html

This first link seems to agree with the idea that a minimal amount of time would be needed to expel the bromide in sunny outdoor pools.

For those with green swamps and high CYA late in the year where changing water out doesn't make a lot of sense before the season ends this might well be a rational option. It doesn't remove the option of NOT doing this or make it preferred to do this but it does seem like this is a tool that we ought to consider when circumstances warrent it. The counter point to this is that whole point of BBB seems to be to have a handle on the chemistry and understand the impact and effects of things in order to manage the pool with a degree of precision and control rather than shotgun guesses. Sodium Bromide seems to work in a way that is well understood but very hard to quantify and the resultant decay of and removal of bromide is hard to be certain of - which makes it a little harder to recommend.

I know this seems like I'm waffling - but I'm trying to state what is known and see what people think of each and how much each is really an issue vs. just not the status quo.

beachcat500 said:
Newbie here. PhD chemist, however.
Welcome to TFP! :wave: It would be great to have another person (in addition to those we already have) validating the chemistry as a cross-check as well as providing new insights.

beachcat500 said:
Here's my practical experience with sodium bromide in a SWG pool (20k gallons, no cage, SWG, Florida summer):
I rarely get MA since the FC doesn't vary in extremes like when I was using liquid CH pre-SWG.
This is not surprising because bromine is not moderated in its strength by Cyanuric Acid (CYA) so kills algae faster than chlorine with CYA. For green algae this isn't an advantage since chlorine alone at reasonable levels relative to CYA is enough to prevent algae growth (I suspect your FC was too low for your CYA level). For an SWG pool, an FC that is at least 5% of the CYA level should prevent green algae growth. Yellow/mustard algae is more resistant to sanitizers so would need up to double that level to keep it from growing, so usually we recommend eradication by shocking with high chlorine levels, getting behind light niches and under ladders, etc. Sodium bromide to produce bromine will also work, but has side effects I'll talk about below.

beachcat500 said:
HOWEVER!!! If you BF (brainfart) and don't watch the pH, the FC will drop to nearly zero. (Remember your chemistry: the electrochemical reaction which produces Cl2 or ClO- also produces OH- which raises your pH and slows the Cl2 production. You've got to add acid!)
Your electrochemical reaction is neglecting to account for the usage/consumption of chlorine which is an acidic process. The net result with a steady-state that maintains an FC level is pH neutral. The rise in pH comes from a combination of carbon dioxide outgassing which is enhanced by the increased aeration from the hydrogen gas bubbles and is also caused by any undissolved chlorine gas that outgasses. See this post for technical details about the electrochemical reactions AND reactions of usage/consumption of chlorine. By understanding these principles, many SWG pool owners have been able to significantly reduce the rate of pH rise in their pools through methods such as keeping their Total Alkalinity (TA) lower, using sufficiently high CYA levels (usually close to 80 ppm) if the pool is exposed to sunlight, and using 50 ppm Borates for additional pH buffering and mild algae prevention/insurance.

Furthermore, the assumption that higher pH slows down chlorine production is incorrect. The production of chlorine in the SWG is the same at higher pH unless scale starts to form more significantly, which perhaps is what you meant. If you meant that at higher pH there is less of the active form of chlorine, hypochlorous acid, compared to hypochlorite ion, that effect is largely buffered by the presence of CYA as is shown by the graphs in this post.

beachcat500 said:
Most of the thousands of SWG pool owners on this forum (and other related forums) are able to maintain their pools without getting to the green pool state because they maintain an FC sufficient for their CYA level. The industry recommendation of 1-3 ppm FC is simply too low with their 60-80 ppm CYA recommendation. Prevention is easier (the same is true for the non-SWG pools). When the CYA is high, the use of bromine (from sodium bromide) or the use of a non-chlorine shock (e.g. MPS) or other oxidizer will oxidize algae more quickly and one can also use clarifiers or flocculants, but all of these have side effects. For bromide, you then have a bromine pool, at least for a while. For MPS, it's quite expensive and you increase sulfates. Clarifiers and flocculants don't oxidize or kill so only supplement filtration/vacuuming.

beachcat500 said:
Bromine outgasses. The Henry's Law constant for hypobromous acid is around 6100 M/atm while for hypochlorous acid it is around 930 M/atm. If there were no CYA in the water then bromine would outgas more slowly than chlorine, but because of CYA the chlorine outgas rate is quite slow (it's actually hypochlorous acid that outgasses in addition to molecular chlorine at pool pH; see this spreadsheet to see that the HOCl is about 420,000 times higher in concentration than Cl2(aq) mostly making up for the lower Henry's Law constant for Cl2 of 0.093 M/atm) and is much slower than the bromine outgas rate since the HOCl concentration is reduced by well over 50 by the CYA so the effective Henry's Law constant relative to FC is more like 46,500 M/atm. Using bromide instead of bromine tabs will have the outgassing go faster because the DMH in bromine tabs behaves somewhat like CYA to chlorine, though doesn't bind to bromine as strongly (though we've never gotten definitive equilibrium constants for that). If one has an ozonator, then ozone oxidizes bromide to bromine and oxidizes bromine to bromate, the latter being an end-point chemical (likewise, ozone also oxidizes chlorine to chlorate).

beachcat500 said:
While the bromine is still in the pool it will tend to break down from sunlight more quickly because none of it is bound to CYA so you may notice a greater demand so need for a higher SWG on-time. Also, bromine smells differently as do bromamines compared to chloramines (say, on your skin when you get out of the water) so your pool may smell different (some don't like the bromine smell). The brominated trihalomethanes (THMs) are mutagenic and increase cancer risk (though it's a very low risk) while the chlorinated THM chloroform does not. Finally, the reason the bromine works is that it is at higher concentration because CYA is not moderating it. This means that it oxidizes swimsuits, skin and hair faster as well, similar to what chlorine does in pools without CYA (unless the FC is very, very low).

As for bromine effects on the SWG cell itself, I have no idea. I suspect it's OK, but don't know for sure. Coatings on SWG cells can be esoteric and therefore finicky.

beachcat500 said:
I use 2 capfulls of the Stop Yellow bromide product. The SunCoast Stop Yellow bottle (sodium bromide) says 4-8 ounces per 10,000 gallons. Then a gallon of 12% liquid chlorine.
The PAN Pesticides Database indicates that Suncoast Stop Yellow is nearly pure sodium bromide. So 4-8 ounces weight per 10,000 gallons would be 3-6 mg/L of sodium bromide for (3-6)*79.904/102.894/2 = 1.16-2.33 ppm Br2. So this isn't that much so should outgas I would think within a month or so. For comparison, an FC that is at 5% of the CYA level has the same active chlorine level as 0.05 ppm FC with no CYA which is why I referred to the faster oxidation rate of bromine against swimsuits, skin and hair (notwithstanding some bromine vs. chlorine reaction rate differences and reaction selectivity differences).

One clever way you might be able to measure your bromine level separate from your chlorine level is to add a small amount of ammonia to your water sample to convert all bromine to monobromamine (NH2Br) and all chlorine to monochloramine (NH2Cl). Except for possible bleed-through from the monochloramine, it should not show up as Free Chlorine (FC) in the test, but monobromamine will show up as FC due to the monobromammonium ion (NH3Br+) that may release a highly reactive positively charged bromine ion (Br+; see this paper for technical details) that reacts with DPD (and is back-titrated with FAS-DPD). If you have only chlorine, then it should all show up as CC (in the same amount that it would show up as FC if no ammonia were added and if there were no initial CC). Obviously, one needs to use a FAS-DPD test kit to have any reasonable accuracy and should use a 25 ml sample size so each drop represents 0.2 ppm.

Reactions: Macysumo
Re: Help me get clear water- what am I missing?

The bromide is effective regardless of cya level, and helps reach breaking point in a pool high in cya (though much more effective to drain)

the bromide, if used in proper dosage is spent during the process and is not present in 24 hours. It is the byproduct of using the chlorine and bromide together that fixes the issue quickly.

It's not always the best solution but used in moderation it is a great solution for a Home owner that needs a quick fix so they can use the pool.

Just saw this and don't think it is correct. If you add bromide to a pool it combines with chlorine to form bromine. When bromine disinfects, it forms bromamines (analagous to chloramine). When any future chlorine product is added, the bromamines reconvert to bromine and the cycle repeats. It would appear you are counting on the sun to degrade bromine (you say its gone in 24 hrs) and maybe you are referring to the fact that CYA does not stabilize bromine but in general, even if you drain a pool, bromine still remains in small quantities. But to say the bromine is "spent during the process" makes no sense. The end product of "spent bromine" is bromamines and bromamines reconvert to bromine when chlorine is added, which will invariably happen in the near future in a chlorine pool......

I agree with the workaround though: in high CYA conditions, you cannot add enough chlorine to raise the usable chlorine because the CYA has bound most of it so bromine could be added (CYA doesn't bind to bromine) and the bromine will kill that which the chlorine can't (because the chlorine is bound to the CYA). The rub comes at the end: the bromines are converted to bromamines and back to bromine in the presence of any chlorine. The sun may eventually degrade the bromine but gone in 24 hrs????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.