Another Converter.

Ok this is getting old fast. Starting day six. Testing and adding, testing and adding.
about 9pm last night FC was 23 or so I added to much earlier obliviously.lol 7:30 this morning we were down to 14.
So another day of not being able to use the pool. The water is just about 95 clear no sparkle though. I vacuum nearly everyday (using the by-pass) even though I see nothing in there but maybe a blob of junk but it is spotless on the walls and bottom. This may sound funny but the waters actually has a sticky feeling to it has anyone had this?

Think I'm ready for the next step. 8:30 pm last night FC was exactly 15 didn't get to check this morning till nearly 8:00 am two hours after sun up and it was 12. Loss of 3 I know but the last few days I've been losing about 5 every 1.5-2 hours i figure the loss of three is due to the 2 hours of sun this morning.
Any thoughts on the next step?
Water is clear but just no sparkle.

Bleach count
17- 96oz. bottles
26-182oz. bottles

You are doing very well, moving along. I recommend giving it another day, and trying to get a cleaner overnight loss test result.

Once FC holds within 1.0 overnight, it is time to replace the filter media and then add CYA to around 40 ppm.

OK I'm getting to the point of either covering this pool up or ripping it down with the tractor.
I'm putting in 4-6 large bottles of bleach per day it's getting gobbled up. The last two nights at bedtime it's about 18FC by morning 14-15. I'm loosing 3-4 points per night. The pool is spotless and clear, the filter gets backwashed daily and is barely cloudy when I do. PH is fine. On day 12 and frustrated.
My kids are driving me nuts. I'm going broke between the bleach and taking them to the public pool 15 miles away.
Could it be after 4 years of Baqu**** my filter is loaded with it? I've even tried pouring the bleach through the filter.
Sorry for the rant just at the end and ready to move on.

Take a couple of deep breaths and relax. Things are going very well. Your conversion is taking a little longer than most, but not unusually long.

I don't remember if I said this to you already or not. Just to be through, you don't need to be adding chlorine during the day at this point. Adding chlorine only in the evenings will take slightly more calendar time, but will save dramatic amounts of chlorine.

If you want to tackle changing the sand a little early, I would go ahead and give that a try. Do wait to add CYA until your overnight FC loss is 1.0 or lower.

Hang in there...I just finished my conversion and it took 24 days! I was away for 2 of those days and started bleaching again when I returned.
I had not put Bacquacil into my pool since late summer 2009 and the water level was low when I started the conversion and it still took 24 days.
I have gone through approximately 60 large (182 oz.) and about 10 (96 oz.) of Walmart bleach 6%, 8 (128 oz.) of liquid chlorine 10%, and about 5 (182 oz.) of various store brands 5.25%. I tested so often that I had ordered an extra set of DPD reagents. The end result of all of the effort is a beautifully clear pool!
Halfway through, I was sooo ready to give up, the pool was beautiful, but still cloudy :scratch: . I figured I couldn't go back, so I just kept going forward. I tell you, I am so grateful for the help and support I have gotten from this forum :bowdown: .

32Magnum said:
OK I'm getting to the point of either covering this pool up or ripping it down with the tractor.
I'm putting in 4-6 large bottles of bleach per day it's getting gobbled up. The last two nights at bedtime it's about 18FC by morning 14-15. I'm loosing 3-4 points per night. The pool is spotless and clear, the filter gets backwashed daily and is barely cloudy when I do. PH is fine. On day 12 and frustrated.
My kids are driving me nuts. I'm going broke between the bleach and taking them to the public pool 15 miles away.
Could it be after 4 years of Baqushit my filter is loaded with it? I've even tried pouring the bleach through the filter.
Sorry for the rant just at the end and ready to move on.

Me and you are about the same point along. You saw on my thread how gunked up the pump filter was, so if you haven't cleaned that out it's likely orange coated. Also, I changed my sand out after my pool filter was remaining clear of baquagoop and it had lots of lumps of orange caked sand. After changing it out the CC's started dropping and the water cleared up considerably within two days. I'm guessing based I probably have about 3 or 4 more days before the CC's are down to .5. I'll be measuring my FC shortly to see if it'll hold tonight.

Today I'm going to see about replacing the sand in the filter, if this goo is that much of a threat or has that much of an effect on the FC over night what's in the filter has to have an impact. I should tonight try turning the filter off before bed and see if that helps.
I will try to keep my cool (pun intended, we've had record heat here and no POOL) when I bring back all my Baquagoo Chemicals to the pool store today and exchange it for sand and CYA.
The bad part about this the next Pool store in in SC and 50 miles away so I'm trapped by this one store. There's plenty of hot tub stores and such but they don't want to bother with pool chemicals and they are even more expensive then pool stores.
This pool is now clear and clean as it's ever been.
If I don't treat it during the day the FC levels drop about 4-5 points in 2-3 hours by noon near zero or no more then 5 for sure.
Can we swim in the pool or are there other chemical problems or dangers?
Don't want sick or green kids after all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Changes the sand today it didn't seem all that bad. A few hard clumps of hard dark green stuff that was it no slime at all. Didn't even really look as though it needed to be changed.
Took back my Baquacrud to the pool place and she tried to sell me some chemical that was 86% chlorine or something along that line and it would clean the pool of Baquacrud in one day so she said. I didn't bite and stood my ground and got what I went there for. We'll see tonight what tomorrow brings as far as FC and things.

More bleach I figure today. About ten last night had FC of 13.5 and at 5 this morning 11 It seem to be the every night loose 2-3 point on average for 4-5 nights. Back to the store for more bleach I figure.

Day 13
17 small bottles of bleach
29 large" "

frustratedpoolmom said:
You aren't supposed to change the sand until the FC holds overnight.

I am aware and if need be I will change it again just getting frustrated as heck at the time it's taking and the amount of bleach. I just figured that if I had any goo in the sand it would just be spreading throughout. But still didn't hold last night.
I think that as an option here if the pool is under 15,000 gallons it should be mentioned that a water change-out should be an option. If I had known it was going to take this long and cost this much in bleach along with the $100.00 test kit I wouldn't have thought twice about a complete water change. With my deep high volume well and my irrigation well I could have emptied and refilled the pool in two days.

over $100.00 in bleach and not done
$100.00 in test kit and need more agent
and I'll figure another $50.00 -$100.00 in chemicals to finish.

and the pool is at least a week from being used maybe longer.
If things don't improve by Monday I may do the change anyway.

That's a good suggestion about the water change. Most people don't have access to "free" water and it costs $100 or so. Also, not everyone has so much baquacil in their pool so it takes less bleach for the conversion. But we should at least lay that out as an option up-front.

Ok finally kept 15.5 from 10 pm. last night till 6:15 this morning. I figure that since I changed my sand (Friday) earlier then I should have I have to get some new today, I think that was part of my problem though as to why it took so long. So by late this morning I will start adding the CYA. I will also have to re-check the CC.

Bleach so far........
34 Large
17 small

Been gone most of the day. Here are some readings as I got out of the car.
FC 3.5 I haven't been around to up it going to do it as soon as I go over to the Calc.
Test kit says I have Zero CC's.
So I figure the total chlorine is the 3.5 ?
PH 7.2
Does this sound right possible or on track?

JasonLion said:
That doesn't really tell you very much. The CC level when FC is high will be much more informative.
Ok just did the test again

PH 7.2
FC 15.5
CC .5

How's that?

Are the refills for the test only available on line or could I try other pool stores I need more
R-0870?
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.