220 pump install

Johnny9403

Mar 9, 2021
I'm about to replace my pool pump with a hayward variable speed pump. It says to connect a 220 to the pump with a GFCI protection is required. How can that be done if it doesn't have a neutral wire. I purchased a 15amp double pole gfci breaker, but I didn't realize about the neutral wire connection.

Welcome to TFP.

A GFCI CB requires connecting the neutral pigtail to the neutral bus. A 240V device does not use a neutral wire to the breaker.

Usually a 20A breaker is used or a pump. What does the pump installation manual specify?

I downloaded the manual but I cant find anything on the GFCI protection. I was going by what I find on YouTube videos. The model I want to get is the hayward HL32950VSP. Does it require a GFCI protection if using 240v?

All pool pumps now require GFCI protection. The manual just says to follow all applicable codes. The NEC requires GFCI for pool pumps.

So if I connect it to a 15 amp breaker with the neutral pigtail to the neutral bus and no neutral wire from pump to breaker is that ok
Correct.

For 220V the two hot lines go from the breaker to the pump. The neutral pigtail in the CB conencts to the neutral bar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.