Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: correct motor for my pump/pool

1. Back To Top    #1

correct motor for my pump/pool

I have a foxx pool, it came with a Challenger pump, the pool is 27000 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: correct motor for my pump/pool

The Challenger pump comes in several different models, anywhere from 1/2 HP to 5 HP. Do you know which specific model you have, or can you read the HP and SF numbers from the plate on the motor?

Several of the various models will work with your pool. Some will be more energy efficient than others.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a Fox pool as well, with about the same gallons as you and I just got a new pump today

Pentair Challenger Pump (in ground pools) 1 HP.
    http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... und-pools/

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah thats correct it is a 1 hp pump and a one hp motor on mine as well just curious is that enough and what kinda turnover can I expect???

5. Back To Top    #5

The exact flow rate will depend quite a bit on your plumbing configuration and how dirty your filter is, but for a typical pool you can expect around 70 to 90 GPM from a 1 HP Challenger.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

so is that good for my situation filter seems fine and I have a 27000 gallon
    ool

7. Back To Top    #7

my calculations would be a turnover of about 6.5 hours then correct

8. Back To Top    #8

That is a slightly larger pump than I would normally recommend for a pool that size, but the difference is small. I get a 6 hour turnover, which is close enough to what you estimated to assume we are both more or less right. Everything is an approximation without way way more math and knowledge of the plumbing.