Just moved, have pool, need HELP!

If you don't keep the chlorine levels up while shocking you will just have to start over from scratch, the thing with shocking is you have to keep the levels up, which means you will need to add more chlorine tonight (bleach or liquid, do not mix solid and liquid chlorine compounds as they can form nasty results). The 3 gallons you have added were just enough to get you up to shock levels, not enough to keep you there.

Ike

So I tested my water this morning.

First thing is, the water looks more "blue" a lot of the green is gone. But it's a tad bit cloudy. (it's raining here so not sure if that is adding to that).

Tested the water this morning, have pretty much the same results as last time:

(from a test strip because it is all I have until the kit gets here)

pH - 7.2 - 7.8
FC - 0-0.5
TA - 180-240 (closer to 240 range)
CYA - 30-50

So it seems like from everyone's recommendations that I should go out and purchase 10-12 gallons of bleach from Walmart/Target/etc? I can start pouring this morning and test all day? How many jugs should I pour in to start?

PS - we are going out of town (leaving Thursday evening) and we will not be back until Monday night. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I throw the chlorine tabs in there while we are gone, assuming we've gotten our levels to the normal range?

This is where the pool calculator will help. Put in zero as your now, 20 as your target and make sure your gallons and other values are in there. Calculate.

Add what it says. Walmarts 6% is usually 2.57 for 182oz but its half the strength of what you have so....

If you want me to walk you through the PC call me.
Add , retest in an hour, add, retest etc.
I'm mobile right now so call my cell if you need to.

If you can get the liquid chlorine at that price, it is probably better than your going to find at Wal-Mart, etc., but not by a whole lot (not worth the fuel to drive out of the way to get it). One thing to note, bleach and liquid chlorinator goes bad with time, the higher the percentage bleach the faster it goes bad, so if this liquid chlorinator is on sale at this price, be wary since it is still early in the swim season that it may be last years leftover (either at the dealer, or their distributor) and not as strong as advertised. Whereas Wal-Mart should have a fast enough shelf turn over that you would not have a problem with old stock.

Ike

Isaac-1 said:
If you can get the liquid chlorine at that price, it is probably better than your going to find at Wal-Mart, etc., but not by a whole lot (not worth the fuel to drive out of the way to get it). One thing to note, bleach and liquid chlorinator goes bad with time, the higher the percentage bleach the faster it goes bad, so if this liquid chlorinator is on sale at this price, be wary since it is still early in the swim season that it may be last years leftover (either at the dealer, or their distributor) and not as strong as advertised. Whereas Wal-Mart should have a fast enough shelf turn over that you would not have a problem with old stock.

Ike

Do we share the same brain? Are you the voice I keep hearing?
Glitter Girl and I spoke and we got the pool calculator squared away. She's going to post today's pic...(tapping fingers waiting..tap tap tap)

Good to hear your voice GGirl!

I put 3 more gallons of liquid chlorine in about an hour and half ago. It's raining quite a bit, gonna wait to see if it slows down some to go test the water.

I will take a pic from my bedroom window of the pool with my phone. Won't be the best quality but you should be able to see the difference from the other picture.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I tested.

The pH is still in the 7.2-7.8 color range on the test stick

The FC is now purple and is at 5

the TA is now in the color range of 180-240 (before it almost looked like a color off the chart)

the CYA (stabilizer) is reading in the color range of 30-50

I should still put more in?

glitter_girl said:
zea3 said:
I would hold off on adding any CYA until your new test kit arrives. If that reading is accurate then CYA level is good. Keep adding bleach as needed.

I have not added any CYA, just been dumping in jugs of liquid chlorine. 12.5% bleach or whatever that is. :)

Should I add more?

Yep. Enter 5 as the Now, and 20 as the target, make sure you have 12.5% in that one box from when we were fiddling with it earlier, and hit calculate. Add what it says.

In another 30-60 mins, test again. Enter that number in now, 20 in target, calculate, add that amount. Repeat.

The idea is to get to 20 (or some super dark off that chart purple color on that strip for now) when you test after the addition. What's happening is the 20ppm you are adding is getting consumed and the 5 is what is left over. That you are getting a 5 is a good sign...You need 20 as much as possible. When your kit gets there you'll be able to test higher than the strip, which is why the strips are really not helpful for shocking as a general rule.

You're doing great!

poolgirl22 said:
glitter_girl said:
zea3 said:
I would hold off on adding any CYA until your new test kit arrives. If that reading is accurate then CYA level is good. Keep adding bleach as needed.

I have not added any CYA, just been dumping in jugs of liquid chlorine. 12.5% bleach or whatever that is. :)

Should I add more?

Yep. Enter 5 as the Now, and 20 as the target, make sure you have 12.5% in that one box from when we were fiddling with it earlier, and hit calculate. Add what it says.

In another 30-60 mins, test again. Enter that number in now, 20 in target, calculate, add that amount. Repeat.

The idea is to get to 20 (or some super dark off that chart purple color on that strip for now) when you test after the addition. What's happening is the 20ppm you are adding is getting consumed and the 5 is what is left over. That you are getting a 5 is a good sign...You need 20 as much as possible. When your kit gets there you'll be able to test higher than the strip, which is why the strips are really not helpful for shocking as a general rule.

You're doing great!

Thanks Chris! Off to add more!

I know you've got a lot going on so here's the link to how to shock your pool.
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

This is the hardest concept to grasp I think, that shocking is a process not something you do once and it's the cure all.

The more often you hit it to shock level the faster it goes.

It will make more sense as you go along and once you can get specific numbers...

It does look like your well on your way to getting it sorted out, if it were mine and that color I would shoot for an even higher number when using the calculator (25-30 + ppm) as this chlorine is being consumed so fast it is almost instantly dropping below shock level, once it starts maintaining shock level for a couple of hours then go back to raising it to 20 ppm as you will be getting closer to finished.

Ike

Ok...just tested again.

It looks like my pH has gone up...is this normal? It's raining, does that have any affect? It's more towards the high range, I would say somewhere between 7.8 and 8.4 range.

FC - is dark, dark purple. So my guess is that it is definitely in the 10 range, if not more. I was thinking of adding another gallon of liquid chlorine, would that be correct?

My TA still looks about the same, it seems to be a little bit lighter, but still in the 120-240 range

CYA looks about the same in the 30-50 range.

Please advise, oh awesome Pool Pros!!!

I just want to say THANK YOU again for helping us through this process. I have confidence that once we are settled in our new house I will really get the hang of this and I shouldn't be posting every little question I can think of. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.