Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A couple random questions

1. Back To Top    #1

A couple random questions

This is the first year I am using the BBB method, and I noticed in "the pool school" recommended levels article that it says to keep TA at 70-90 unless you use Tri-Chlor tablets. In that case it should be around 100-120 and not to let it fall below 100. What's the reason for this? I use a combination of bleach and tablets mainly because I have a 50lb bucket of tri-chlor tablets left over from last year, and an automatic in-line chlorinator. I keep the chlorinator set at half, and usually add a half gallon of bleach a week depending on how sunny it was and how often the pool was used. I guess I'm trying to figure out if TA should be in the 70-90 range, or the 100-120 range.

Also, as a matter of convenience I was wondering if I could add borax and/or soda ash to my skimmer basket instead of pre-dissolving in a bucket of water before dumping it in. I have a cartridge filter if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
    Mike
    30 foot round AGP (25k gal), 2.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Diver Dan pool vac, TF-100 Test kit
    -It takes less time to do things right then it does to do it again.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A couple random questions

You should predissolve the Borax or soda ash and pour it in front of the return flow.

The higher TA helps keep the PH from dropping which will happen when you use the tablets. As long as you are monitoring your numbers you should be fine.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

As for dissolving borax etc. Today I tried to do that in a 3 gallon bucket and nothing really seemed to dissolve (the stabilizer, either when I did the same for that). I just kept diluteing it in water as much as I could when pouring it into the skimmer. Is this normal or should this stuff actually "dissove?"
    AG Intex Ultra Frame
    Round 16 ft x 48 in, 5061 gal
    2500 gph Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter
    BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Put your TA at 100 and it will never make your list of Top Five Things to Worry About. The lower numbers are to help stabilize the tendency for SWG pools to rise (pH).

I see no reason why you couldn't put both soda ash and borax in your skimmer. I have done so with borax and have never used soda ash, but if I did, that's where I'd put it.

That said, why do you need to add them? Is your water balanced? Is your CYA around 50ppm? What is your current pH? How about FC?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Mike,

Do not post the same question in different places. It is confusing to everyone.....including you.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5150
    So in my situation would 90-100 TA be good since I don't use a whole lot of Tri-chlor? Also, I'm curious why you don't like to put stuff that messes with your pH in your skimmer basket. Does it mix it up better in a bucket or is there another reason?
    Yes, if you don't use trichlor that level is fine.

It's a personal preference - I don't add things to the skimmer because I have a heater. Other people do and report no problems.

Please keep all your posts related to this query on one thread - I have locked the other one.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Re. chems in the skimmer, nobody puts acid in the skimmer because it can easily damage the basket, pump, and/or filter. Or heater. Or anything else attached to the plumbing.

On the (perhaps magical-thinking) principle that too high can be just as bad as too low, I would not put borax or any other ph-increasing chem in the skimmer either. As I never have to increase pH manually, it has never come up for me in practice.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page