Repair ropes on Coverstar autocover

Oops - correction of my previous post.. I got the ropes backwards. Looking down at the motor with the pool stretching behind me and to my left. The rope wrapped on the left side of the shaft is for the rope in the track on the right side of the pool - it winds over the shaft toward me. The rope wrapped on the right side of the shaft (the one that I had to untangle) is for the rope in the track on the left side of the pool- it winds over the shaft away from me. Are they suppose to wrap in opposite directions?

gglmn said:
I took pictures of the process, but it will take a day or two to put it together. I have the toprail. The rope has 3" webbing sewn to the end where it attaches to the front of the cover by 3 or 4 nuts bolted to a plate. Remove the plate and detach the rope. Then remove the pully at the far end. Then loosen but don't remove the track. Remove the old rope. Sew 3: webbing to 5/16th rope. I needed a 95' and 115' length. Webbing runs in a channel on the pool side. The new rope is easy to put into the outer channel just by lifing the track and laying underneath. Run the ends through the pullyes and reattach to the drum with the screws and your done. If you have new rope with the webbing attached, it's an hour at most. If you post your email I can send pictures.
i cant see your pics please e mail to [email protected]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last year, I tried a innovative method to repair the pool cover rope system. Where the original system has the rope sewn to a patch of material that is then bolted to the cover slider, instead of sewing, I cut a patch of similar thickness polyester material that allowed me to fold over the rope as original, then instead of sewing, I used a liberal amount of cyroacrylate super glue to affix the rope and the folded polyester patch. After allowing ample time, 20 minutes or so, to allow it to dry, I then heated an awl to punch holes matching the position on the mounting plates. Then it was a simple matter of pulling the new rope/mount assembly through the rails and properly affix to the pulleys. It took some adjustment the pulley to get the proper and balanced open and closing, but it's on the second year and still looks and works great.

Folks - I can see you are experts. My coverstar rope just broke too and I can see you can source these ropes from a number of online retailers - which I will do.

My coverstar guy wants $800 or more for all the work but it doesn't seem too difficult after reading all the threads and watching youtube videos. Some of the ropes come with "tracers". I'm assuming this is some kind of mechanism to lead the rope through the channel when its come out - which is my issue. My rope came right out of the chanel and so I can't use it to seed the next rope in. So my question is, how do you seed the rope through the recessed rope guide which I can't access other than to push rope in the channel until it goes to the other end. How can one move rope into the guide when my broken rope is already out?

Thanks.​

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.