Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Board opening question?

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Board opening question?

ok, A long time pool owner just finding this forum!! Last year decided for some strange reason to try the BLUE system. Worked fine but did not get the results i was hoping for! Any how, going back to CH. (used my auto feeded with jumbo taps in the past) Would like to switch to a cheaper alternative, BLEACH. So here is what i have. Opening today(cover still on) readings are:
    TC: None
    TA: 50
    PH: 6.8
    CH: ?
    CYA: ?

Have not seen the water yet(I believe there is debris in the pool). water not clear!

Shocking with 3-4 bags of Calcium Hypo to bring the TC up? Then what is the next steps:
    TA? then PH? how much of each? Should i also do a Algae control?

Tom
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Kidney painted concrete pool; Hayward super pump, Hayward pro Grid 3620 DE filter(using Fiber Clear). No Heater. 250 gallon stand alone Jacuzzi hot tub .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to Board opening question?

Can you get a full set of numbers with cya level an post back?
    Obviously you need some chlorine in there, but if you want to switch to bleach why not just use bleach?
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

will get the CYA number later from the Pool Store... I had a box of 6 1lb bags of Hypo given to me....

Update: OH it's GREEN!! can only see half way down deep end..... Should i just do the 6 bags... Will i need some alge control in there?

F BLUE
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Kidney painted concrete pool; Hayward super pump, Hayward pro Grid 3620 DE filter(using Fiber Clear). No Heater. 250 gallon stand alone Jacuzzi hot tub .

4. Back To Top    #4

Do yourself a favor and get a full test kit. If you support the site, you can get a discount on the TF100. Both are well worth the money.

Then bookmark the pool calculator.

After that, it's pretty easy. Test, input data, add, circulate, repeat. Vacuum as needed. Enjoy.

Really, the absolute first step is a test kit. You're working blind otherwise. Cal-hypo may be pushing already-high CH through the roof, or you may need more CH and it's a good thing. You may have CYA so high that shocking becomes next to impossible and you need to drain. You don't know. While you wait for the kit, if you have to order, you can get busy scooping crud out.

My two cents.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

As mentioned earlier, Getting a full test in about 1 hour or so! Should i get the PH and TA up now?

6. Back To Top    #6

My suggestion for killing the algae is just using the bleach, bleach does not add anything "extra" to your pool, just stick to the cookie cutter basics, if you add just bleach it will eventually kill the algae and then filter it out. Without knowing your other numbers I really can't suggest using the bag of cal hypo, your pool is the only one that I know that has real issues with too much calcium, as liner pools,fiberglass don't have the issues concrete can with high calcium levels.
    So my suggestion is run to Wallys and buy the generic 6% bleach. Get that CYA level tested asap so we can figure out where we need you to be with shock levels. Also you will need to bring your EDITED-PH up slightly it is on the high side of low even for shocking, 7.2-7.5 would be better.
    Check out the pool calculator it will help guide you with your additions of bleach and baking soda. TA can come up some.
    I would suggest investing in a good testing kit so you can take control of this yourself. The TF-100 was a huge money and time saver for me as I didn't have to keep running to the store.
    I'm not sure if you have but read up on pool school as it has loads of info to help guide you start to finish. Good Luck.

Edited sorry- lack of sleep let me fix my mistake- Baking soda brings up TA. By doing so your ph should come up slightly. You can also aerate to increase ph.Sorry didn't mean to confuse

7. Back To Top    #7

Will post number when i have them, Thanks I never had a problem in the past have maintained a pool for 16 years.. this is the first opening when it's green? Can see 1/2 way down side.

8. Back To Top    #8

Numbers are in

FC 1.5
    PH 7.4
    TA 60(Will add baking soda to get it to around 90)
    CH 150
    CYA 90

just Added 3 gals of 6% bleach.

9. Back To Top    #9

I recommend you drain down a bit and replace with fresh water to try to get your CYA down to under 60.... it will be easier to defeat the algae if you have a lower CYA level.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

No rush on the baking soda. What FPM said; no reason to dump in chems if you're just going to pump half the water out anyway.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I recommend you drain down a bit and replace with fresh water to try to get your CYA down to under 60.... it will be easier to defeat the algae if you have a lower CYA level.
    What she said

12. Back To Top    #12

dumping and adding water is not that easy on a well!!!! I need to add. Looking at the chart for a direct sunlight the CYA is recommended to be 80 or so? i am at 90

What steps to take with out draining!

13. Back To Top    #13

It is just gonna cost you a lot more in chlorine to keep it clear is all. It may be an uphill battle if cya is too high.

14. Back To Top    #14

You don't have to dump and refill the whole amount at once; you can do it in stages, say 10%-15% of the pool at a time. You end up using more total water in that case, but the pace is slower, and with a well that is probably what you want.

Where did you see CYA 80 recommended? That would be the kind of level we'd recommend for a SWG, but not when using bleach. In New England, really CYA 40 is enough, and CYA 60 is high but tolerable.
    --paulr
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster

15. Back To Top    #15

not sure where i saw that, Will try to run 40-60

As for Bleach Vs pool store CH.. What really is recommended on this site?

I am shocking with bleach for Cost but on a normal maintenance whats recommended.? as stated earlier i for years have been using the dichloro-s in my feeder (perhaps why the CYA is High)

16. Back To Top    #16

This site recommends bleach or liquid chlorine for almost every situation where a SWCG isn't installed.
    We only recommend dichlor, trichlor or cal-hypo in a few specific instances and then only short term.
    Maintenence wise and cost wise, liquid is the best. A SWCG comes close and there's some argument that it's easier but with a liquid feed system I don't think that's true.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Lowertc
    dumping and adding water is not that easy on a well!!!! I need to add. Looking at the chart for a direct sunlight the CYA is recommended to be 80 or so? i am at 90

What steps to take with out draining!

I would like to know why dumping it an refilling it on a well is not a good idea?
    33x52 AGP 25600 Sand filter 1.5 HP Hayward

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jck
    I would like to know why dumping it an refilling it on a well is not a good idea?
    Refilling a pool requires a LOT of water. A well really has a maximum supply rate it can sustain without causing issues. You can fill a pool from a well, but you need to be more careful than if you have a city water supply.
    --paulr

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Quote Originally Posted by jck
    Refilling a pool requires a LOT of water. A well really has a maximum supply rate it can sustain without causing issues. You can fill a pool from a well, but you need to be more careful than if you have a city water supply.
    --paulr
    I ran a 2in pipe from by well to my pool. Not to thread jack here but I would like to know whats wrong with using the well to refill pool. i took out like 3/4 last week an filled it backup using the well. Dont want to mess up the well.
    33x52 AGP 25600 Sand filter 1.5 HP Hayward

20. Back To Top    #20

don't really want to get into adding a pipe to my well! Thanks anyhow. Just trying to get the pool clean..... never really had this problem in 10 years!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast