Wits end with cloudiness!

How long after adding the 4 gallons of bleach did you wait to test?
What was your CC level this morning?

If your CC was .5 or less and you're sure you lost only .5 FC then you're technically done shocking. However, I'd recommend you maintain shock level one more day just to be sure. You've been at it this long, no use getting antsy and ending early.

Bama Rambler said:
How long after adding the 4 gallons of bleach did you wait to test?
What was your CC level this morning?

If your CC was .5 or less and you're sure you lost only .5 FC then you're technically done shocking. However, I'd recommend you maintain shock level one more day just to be sure. You've been at it this long, no use getting antsy and ending early.

Did not check the CC level this morning.
Just got home from work, Added one gallon of bleach today. Now the FC is 7.5 and the kids are swimming. Its still cloudy though. You can almost see the bottom step, But not quite.

What if I bought a couple of packages of Super Shock from wal mart and dump that in the pool? Think that would help clear? I know it would raise my CYA, But I was going to raise it anyways after shocking since the pool is in the sun just about all day.

If you really feel a need to try a pool store product, try clarifier. Every now and then clarifier can help. I don't think that it is likely to do anything, but at least it has some chance of working. Super Shock isn't going to help anything.

Went to the pool store for clarifier and the sales guy there told me to try something else. He gave me a bag of "shock", but it was not Chlorine it was something else.

54%potassium Peroxymonopersulfate
54% other ingred.

Dumped the 1lb bag in and praying for the best.

I know you're really frustrated with how long it's taking for the pool to clear up, but the methods here WILL work! There isn't a magic cure at the pool store, the only thing I recommend is a big bottle of POP (pool owner patience)! Once all the organics in the pool are killed, it just takes time to filter everything out. You're so close, just keep doing what you're doing and listening to the great advice here, and you will get there!

BTW, the 'shock' you added may show up CC's on your next test, depending on how long before you test again. Just thought I'd give you a heads up!

cheddar85 said:
I know you're really frustrated with how long it's taking for the pool to clear up, but the methods here WILL work! There isn't a magic cure at the pool store, the only thing I recommend is a big bottle of POP (pool owner patience)! Once all the organics in the pool are killed, it just takes time to filter everything out. You're so close, just keep doing what you're doing and listening to the great advice here, and you will get there!

BTW, the 'shock' you added may show up CC's on your next test, depending on how long before you test again. Just thought I'd give you a heads up!
I know, Patience is needed. Last year everything on here worked perfect and the pool looked much worse when opening. We had it clear in about a week. This year is different. The pool is clean, FC is holding and my numbers look better then last year and its still cloudy. So far used much more bleach this year then last. Got a birthday party closing in on us sat and its gotta be ready or they will just swim in cloudy water. :grrrr:

It was a 7 FC earlier, Added a gallon of bleach before adding the "shock" and just tested the FC an hour later and its 18.5 now. I will test it again in the morning.

fatheroffive said:
Still milky.......This is driving me crazy. How can I tell if my sand filter is channeling? Or should I give it more time to clear out the Algea I scrubbed out from under the steps yesterday?

Butterfly said:
If your water does not show improvement each day, you may want to clean your filter.

I'd definitely check the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Butterfly said:
fatheroffive said:
Still milky.......This is driving me crazy. How can I tell if my sand filter is channeling? Or should I give it more time to clear out the Algea I scrubbed out from under the steps yesterday?

Butterfly said:
If your water does not show improvement each day, you may want to clean your filter.

I'd definitely check the filter.

Whoops, missed that part. Thanks Butterfly, for picking up my slack! :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.