Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae in a half-drained pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae in a half-drained pool.

Earlier this week I awoke to a green pool! What I have always been told was to drain the pool, scrub with bleach, and fill it back up. But while reading your wonderful forum, I read that I didn't have to drain it. So, my question for you, do I go ahead and finish draining it and scrub, or fill it back up and let the bleach do the work for me?

Thanks, Lorraine.
    15 x 48" Metal Frame Easy Set Pool
    4,500 Gallons

2. Back To Top    #2
    I don't think you have to drain the pool. You can shock and brush and filter and accomplish algae defeat without draining a pool.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

3. Back To Top    #3
    Well, we have already drained most of it. And the sides are caked with Algae. Do I scrub that now and then refill it? Or just fill it back up and not worry about scrubing?
    4,500 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Algae in a half-drained pool.

Quote Originally Posted by lorraine3579
    What I have always been told was to drain the pool, scrub with bleach, and fill it back up.
    Wow...thats gotta be expensive, refilling every time it turns green. Tip: Don't take pool advice from the water company.

Unless you are doing repairs, acid washing, painting, etc, you never have to completely drain a pool. Remember water doesn't change into something else...it's still H2O. You just need to get all the junk that's IN the water OUT. There are people on this forum who I'm sure have had the same water for decades.

Learn to keep it balanced, and you wont needlessly drain again!

5. Back To Top    #5
    thank you. we are trying the BBB. also cleaned bottom of pool. we will see what happens. it looks better to me already, but my daughter doesnt think so. thanks again. if i need more help, ill be back. lorraine
    4,500 Gallons