Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: Which "chlorine system" do you use?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • BBB

31 53.45%
  • SWCG

23 39.66%
  • Ionic sanitaztion (like the ecosmarte, etc.)

1 1.72%
  • other

3 5.17%

Thread: Which "chlorine system" do you use?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which "chlorine system" do you use?

I, like others I'm sure, am curious as to which "system" of chlorine you all use. (Sorry if this is not the proper way to state it!)
    -Rachel

No pool yet...doing massive research!

2. Back To Top    #2
    your poll is a little flawed because SWG and BBB are seperate choices. Even with a SWG you still need to adhere to the BBB method - I supplement my SWG when the Chlorine demand necessitates.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

Same here tagprod, who knew it could be so easy to keep a clear pool, 5 minutes a day, or as my neighbor prefers, 2 hours every 2nd week trying to get rid of his algae.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Venusflyer
    put me down for bbb I use a liquid injector and also add bleach
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

5. Back To Top    #5

SWCG and borax. I think like most here, we all use the BBB principles regardless of the source of the chlorine.

Proper testing (and understanding/reacting to the test) is the most important attribute.
    5450 gallon 18' Intex Easy Set, Dynamo 3/4 hp 2 speed pump, 200# sand filter, Intex swcg, k-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

SWCG and borax. I think like most here, we all use the BBB principles regardless of the source of the chlorine.

Proper testing (and understanding/reacting to the test) is the most important attribute.
    5450 gallon 18' Intex Easy Set, Dynamo 3/4 hp 2 speed pump, 200# sand filter, Intex swcg, k-2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I do realize the BBB method is still used in other sources, but am just curious as to the "main" source. Does that make sense? Sorry if I seem ignorant, I am. I am trying to learn still and am curious about what others are doing for the main source of chlorine.
    -Rachel

No pool yet...doing massive research!

8. Back To Top    #8
    I would have said "Bleach" and "SWG" to make it clearer. Stated that way adding "Trichlor/dichlor" would make sense. Nature2 seems to be the most common ionizer/mineral system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Rachel,

Don't apologize. We all were ignorant about pools at one time. Keep asking those questions and reading as much as you can.

10. Back To Top    #10

Rachel
    You have a good head on your shoulders for doing the research before you purchase your pool. You will be able to decide and learn about your pool chemistry before your purchase. take a look at the equipment sections of this forum to help with maint issues on different styles of pools. They all have there plus and minus. The people here are willing to help you and they don't mind the questions. so ask away we understand, that is what the forum is about.
    Ric
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Which "chlorine system" do you use?

70% cal-hypo for me, I put it under 'other'.

12. Back To Top    #12

I'd have to vote for the SWCG system. However, here's another twist. My pool is open year-round so when the temps drop below the mid-50's consistently, I turn off the generator and go to strictly BBB. Last winter, an atypical cold one, that amounted to 5 full months of BBB. I waited until the temps were consistently near 60 before turning the SWCG back on.
    Sandy

15,600 gallon, screened 15 x 30 sport pool with 6 x 8 baja shelf, IG plaster (Diamondbrite??), Hayward cartridge filter, 1-HP Hayward pump, Hayward/EUS Mark VI heat pump, Polaris 280, AquaRite SWCG

13. Back To Top    #13
    Trichlor, bleach, and baking soda. I put it under 'other'.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

14. Back To Top    #14
    The method of chlorination to use depends on part on the suface of your pool, the type of filter you use, and your geographic location. For example, stabilzied chlorine (trichlor/dichlor) works well in areas with a short swim season that winterize pools, especially with sand filter, since the CYA is constanly being diluted but are a disaster with cartridge filters or non backwash DE filters in areas with extended swim seasons that keep the pools open year round.

Trichlor is a good choice on NEW plaster pools because it helps keep the pH in line as the plaster cures but you do need to keep a watch on the CYA levels, particularly if you don't have a sand filter.

Metals (call them minerals or ions if it makes you feel better but they are metals--copper, silver, and/or zinc) are NOT primary sanitizers but only supplimental ones that MUST be used with a residual sanitizer (usually chlorine). In theory they will allow you to use a lower FC level but in actual practice this is not advisable.

The type of chlorination that is used might change depending on the time of year, the age of the pool, and also if any equipment is changed. There are basically only 2 types of clorine--stabilized and unstabilized, and which one is a better choice depends on the factors I listed above.

15. Back To Top    #15

Now to show how much I really don't know.

What is BBB? I wish there was a place that explained all the abbreviations (why is that word so long?).
    25k 20x40 oval white plaster with overflow spa
    DE filter
    Aquabot T2

16. Back To Top    #16

Re: Now to show how much I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by brcl2
    What is BBB? I wish there was a place that explained all the abbreviations (why is that word so long?).
    Check out the "BBB" or "What are all these pool chemicals?" sticky, by waterbear. Also check out some of the other helpful threads that some of us have in our signatures.

You may also want to look at the Commonly used abbreviations for pools, by KurtV...waterbear

welcome to the site!

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin
    You may also want to look at the Commonly used abbreviations for pools, by KurtV.

welcome to the site!

dan
    Ahem! Commonly used abbreviations was written by me also!

18. Back To Top    #18

21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin
    You may also want to look at the Commonly used abbreviations for pools, by KurtV.

welcome to the site!

dan
    Ahem! Commonly used abbreviations was written by me also!
    I was very surprised (for a second) to learn that I had written that. Thought maybe I'd picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.