Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High FC Number....

1. Back To Top    #1

High FC Number....

I had an episode with a attack of bird droppings in my pool. Weird, never happened in the 5+ years I have had the pool, but apparently it was dive bombing practice!

Anyway, I may have over reacted and shocked the pool. My numbers (FC has held steady the past week) are...

FC 11.0
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 90
    CH 310
    CYA 70

Water is clear and sparking.

My Aqua Rite SWG is set at 40% output and pump runs 8 hours a day. A couple questions..

1. Think it's ok to drop the output percentage down to say 20%?
    2. How do the numbers as a whole look?
    South Florida. 20,000 gallons; 16x35 rectangular gunite; Pentair Intelliflo VF Variable Speed Pump; Hayward cartridge; Aqua Rite SWG. Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner; Kopec 540sc Electric Heat pump pool heater; Pool built in Spring 2004.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High FC Number....

Yes, and yes.

Your TA level is just a little higher than my ideal. This isn't a big deal. You can probably just let TA drift down slowly on its own. If you have problems with the PH rising rapidly, then you will want to lower TA more aggressively.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

With the SWG I always seems to be battling a high pH...lol

Best move I ever made was buying the TF test kit.....let's me take control of my pool and not be at the mercy of others...
    South Florida. 20,000 gallons; 16x35 rectangular gunite; Pentair Intelliflo VF Variable Speed Pump; Hayward cartridge; Aqua Rite SWG. Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner; Kopec 540sc Electric Heat pump pool heater; Pool built in Spring 2004.

4. Back To Top    #4

If those birds were blackbirds, that was no ordinary bird doo. The grackle, commonly known as a blackbird, has a well documented history of dropping those gelatinous fecal sacs into swimming pools in spring and summer. Those sacs are from their young and help keep the nest clean and rid the area of evidence of nesting young from predators. The good news is that the sacs can be removed with a leaf net. The bad news is the grackle is hard to get rid of. I keep a pile of stones handy and attack them with a vengeance whenever I see them. I also supplement my SWG with liquid chlorine. My wife thinks I am crazy. I am sure it looks that way when someone shouts a grackle warning and I head for the stones, but they haven't returned this year. Yet. I hate grackles.

The essential question is, how high can you chlorinate with a CYA of 80 in an SWG pool?
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

5. Back To Top    #5

I HATE grackles - they do this to my pool every year - this year is exceptionally bad. Yesterday I fished out a dead baby.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

http://www.birdwatchersgeneralstore.com/gracklepoop.htm

Yep. Geese are no longer an issue but the grackle seems to be on to my owl trick...DISGUSTING. And it's always the last couple weeks of May. I saw one yesterday do the deed.

Unfortunately, my neighbor with the 10k bird feeders won't appreciate my more drastic efforts...a pellet gun and the lab.

Scooping scooping scooping...
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

We have those birds here by the millions it seems. We can't even leave the dog's food outside, lest it get cleaned out in a matter of minutes.

They are pretty funny to watch though, especially during the courtship/mating times. The males do all sorts of crazy things to attract those females.

As long as we keep the dog food put up, they really don't do much as far as the pool goes. It's the mourning doves that dirty the pool up over here.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT