Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Boric Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Boric Acid

Any tips on where to buy the cheapest pure boric acid? I am weighing my options on whether to go the boric acid or the borax/MA route. I have a 28K pool and the calculator said 1) 67 pounds of boric acid or 2) 22 76oz boxes of borax and 6 gallons of MA. Does this sound right? My current borate level is 0 and wanted to go to the recommended 50. Also, should I buy some extra to keep around? How is the shelf life?

Last Question - What is the recommended way to add borax or boric acid to the pool?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mo
    28K River Sand Plaster Finish - 2.5 HP Stealth Pump - Jandy 60 Sq Ft DE Filter - LAARS LT400 Natural Heater - Polaris 280 - Jandy PDA PS6 Computer Center

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Boric Acid

Your numbers look right. Shelf life is excellent, several years minimum, for all three of the chemicals that might be involved.

Boric acid is available from a number of places: DudaDiesel and The Chemistry Store are two popular sources.

Boric acid can be added to the pool in many different ways. The simplest is to distribute it across the surface of the deep end and then brush the pool. Borax and muriatic acid requires a slightly more complex procedure, which is explained in this post.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for verifying and the info. Does DudDiesel sell to private people? I read somewhere they only deal with businesses/contractors?
    28K River Sand Plaster Finish - 2.5 HP Stealth Pump - Jandy 60 Sq Ft DE Filter - LAARS LT400 Natural Heater - Polaris 280 - Jandy PDA PS6 Computer Center

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by modog
    Thanks for verifying and the info. Does DudDiesel sell to private people? I read somewhere they only deal with businesses/contractors?
    I can verify that they sell to individuals. You can go to ebay, or direct to their website. I think the prices are the same either way.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator