First test

Shane1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2010
Buckeye, AZ 85326
Hey all,
My PB provided us with test strips along with our pool starter kit (brush, net, floating chlorinator & vac and hoses). I plan on buying a quality test kit but now isnt the $$$time$$$. The PB sent a guy out on Saturday to get the pool balanced and do all the mechanical start up. He will be back Tuesday to give me a crash course on how to care for and protect our new pool. When he was here Saturday he told me all I really needed to care for an Arizona pool is: Chlorine tablets, Acid and shock. That seems pretty simple to me and maybe a to good to be true.
Here are my number from the strips.
CI: 3
TCI: 3
ALK: 40
pH: 7.6
TH: 100

Too good to be true. :)
When was the pool filled?
Acid will be needed almost daily - you will have a difficult time managing with just strips.
Did the PB add CYA? Are there tablets in the pool now, via chlorinator or floater?

Ok, then read this:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

You need to closely monitor your PH level to keep it below 7.8, this can drift very quickly in a new pool while the plaster cures. Frequent acid additions also lower TA, and I'm a little concerned with the TA level already being so low - can you get that checked with a drop based kit at a local pool store?

I understand that $ is an issue right now but it's a small investment that will protect your $$$ investment - your pool. It's well worth the initial expense, believe me.

Tablets in the chlorinator are a good idea while new plaster is curing, it helps keep the PH in check while providing chlorine and building your CYA level.

But read Pool School - you can't rely on tablets all the time - eventually your CYA will get too high. Then you'll need to switch to bleach or liquid chlorine.

Routine shocking is unnecessary in a properly chlorinated pool. Maintaining the FC according to the CYA chlorine chart should prevent any reason for having to shock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.