Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool repainting project

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool repainting project

Hi all. Hope y'all had a good winter and are back working on your pools.

I just took my cover off. Have to drain and pressure wash to see how badly the paint has deteriorated. Rubbing my hand on the side and it comes out dripping WHITE. Gonna pump it out the shallow end and then pressure wash and that should give me an indication of whether I have to drain completely and re-paint.I HAT THIS PART OF SPRING.

Just before closing

NOW!!

Southern Ontario. Concrete Lazy L shape pool painted in 2005 with 2 part epoxy paint ,42 x 20 , 2.5 ft deep in shallow end , 8 ft in deep end, with what i calculate as an average depth of 6 to 6.5 ft. or approx 38300 Gal. 1HP pump , Hayward sand filter model S-220T rated at 2.64 ft.2 , 52 GPM , Intellichlor IC40 CG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The joy of pool opening

Welcome back, Gerry

Sorry to hear about your pool paint.

Gotta say that the first pic you posted looked absolutely beautiful
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes Joyce that looks good as a result of all the help you guys gave me last year. I just pressure washed a test patch and the scum is coming off along with some milky white solution. On the second pass with the p washer all is clean?? I can't tell if it's the paint or just residue from all the **** I have dumped in over the years as recommended by the pool shop "pro's". Maybe others can jump in with some opinions or suggestions as to how I can determine if it needs re-painting. Acid wash??
    Southern Ontario. Concrete Lazy L shape pool painted in 2005 with 2 part epoxy paint ,42 x 20 , 2.5 ft deep in shallow end , 8 ft in deep end, with what i calculate as an average depth of 6 to 6.5 ft. or approx 38300 Gal. 1HP pump , Hayward sand filter model S-220T rated at 2.64 ft.2 , 52 GPM , Intellichlor IC40 CG

4. Back To Top    #4

HI Gerry! Welcome back
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

well Thank You ma'm. With the mess I have on my hands it looks like I will be around a bit during this season start up. OK-back to the pressure washing of the "PIT"

6. Back To Top    #6

Starting into day 3 of refurbishing. Drained and pressure washed and getting ready to paint. Some areas that were water blasted with a 4000PSI washer are left bare, down to aggregate. Does anyone know if I should prime those bare spots before application of the full coat?

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Pool repainting project

I am by no means knowledgeable in pool paint systems, However I would remove all the old paint out of concern the new paint would not bond. As far as a primer I would talk to the manufacturer directly and speak to a paint rep.they will help you determine what should be done. I have to say I am facing the same issue with my pool and am really thinking of going with pebble sheen instead .
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks coloeb. I have spoken to the manufacturer and got some pointers. For the most part the painting I did in 2005 has held up and the current problem was caused by a poorly prepped surface before paint application and i have to be honest and agree. In 2005 the pool was completely sandblasted but I missed a step before re-painting. It should have been acid washed or some other chemical wash and rinsed after blasting but was not.They tell me, after seeing the pics, that I should run a sander/grinder over the complete surface to remove all other loose paint and rough spots/small blisters, acid wash and rinse. They have told me it's not necessary to prime, just be sure any shiny spots are removed and coat the bald spots first. Wait 4-6 days for curing and fill. Sooo, to use an old expression it's "back to the grind" today.

Cheers

9. Back To Top    #9

We are in the same situation. What kind of paint and acid are you using? We were told to use muriatic acid, but not sure about paint. Any suggestions?
    18' x 33' above ground vinyl pool, 17,800 gallons
    1.5 HP Hayward pump with sand filter
    Ruth and John in Buda, TX just south of Austin, TX

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm not so sure ANY of this thread would apply to your pool after reading your sig .It appears you have an 18' x 33' above ground vinyl pool. Others may chime in with better advise/reply than I can offer.I'm following the procedure outlined by the paint manufacturer as it applies to refurbishing a CONCRETE pool. Cheers

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rcar430
    We are in the same situation. What kind of paint and acid are you using? We were told to use muriatic acid, but not sure about paint. Any suggestions?
    Sorry to throw you off. I was not asking about my pool, but my son's pool in Georgia. He has an inground pool 18 x 38, from 4 feet to 9 feet deep. I am here in Georgia visiting them
    Thanks,Ruth
    18' x 33' above ground vinyl pool, 17,800 gallons
    1.5 HP Hayward pump with sand filter
    Ruth and John in Buda, TX just south of Austin, TX

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi Ruth. Muriatic acid is correct.As for the paint its's a 2 part epoxy pool paint. I'm in Canada and the paint i use is from a company called Total Barrier Systems and i believe it's US based
    http://www.tbsproducts.com/index.htm

There's a link here on the board that is excellent regarding this project and it shows step by step procedures.

http://www.planethill.com/house/pool/pool.htm

Cheers and good luck

13. Back To Top    #13

Trying to get ready to paint. A couple of questions. Still lots of ground water and a few spots that need to be filled in. What kind of product would I use to fill holes and gouges? How long for it to set after patching before it can be painted?

14. Back To Top    #14

HELLLLLLLP!!!! Started painting today. Don't have enough paint for second coat. Called the place where I got it from and they are OUT OF WHITE PAINT!!!Won't have any til mid June. How the **** a pool paint manufacturer can be out of basic white this time of year is beyond me??

Anyhoo---Can i go and get another brand epoxy paint to apply as my second coat????? There is a source close to me that sells OLYMPIC PAINT.Will it bond with the first coat?? ANYBODY?? ANY SUGGESTIONS or THOUGHTS on this dilemma??

15. Back To Top    #15

thats a question for the paint rep of olympic. call and tell them your problem.
    coloeb,

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks coloeb.That's the first thing i did. Called them and another pool place and they both said NO PROBLEM. Having learned the truth in here about the pool shop guys the answer they gave me was predictable.Maybe true or "just another sale" so I asked the question here hoping someone with true experience would give an unbiased opinion.

17. Back To Top    #17

When I say call them I mean thier corprate office not a pool store. All major paint manufactures have sales reps for big jobs. They even come out to the job site and check prep work, paint thickness after application etc. Thay also make good on warranty if the paint fails for some reason. These guys know thier stuff, and normally wont have a issue advising you on how to proceed.
    coloeb,

18. Back To Top    #18

Good point.Not an issue now as I managed to get 2 gallons this afternoon of what I was using from a dealer about 60 miles from here so the paint shortage problem is gone away.Thanks for the response.Cheers

19. Back To Top    #19

Drained,cleaned, scraped , painted, refilled and pretyy well balanced. Darn mear drove me nuts but after 2 weeks of sweat and swears we "got-er-done". Thanks again folks for your help and direction.
    Cheers

From this

To this

20. Back To Top    #20

So in the end what did you use for the gouges and holes you had to deal with?
    Anthony 16,000 Gallon Oval, White plaster, 30' Long 15' Wide 5 1/2' Deep end 3 1/2' shallow end.
    Pentair Intelliflo, FNS Plus 60sf. DE, Pentair Intellibrite 5G
    TF100 Testkit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast