2024 TFP robot consensus?

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Reaching out to see if there is a consensus among TFP on the current crop of cleaning robots.
I have been poking around the forum and seem to be finding a lot of outdated information.

Background:
I just replastered my 16'x32' pool and added a huge 8'x16' Cabo ledge to the end (14" depth) and a bench full length along one side.
The new complexities to the shape are proving to be a challenge for my old Polaris 280.
Wondering if a modern robot with some logic will manage it better.

Questions:
Any robots that can manage 14" depth?
Is there a consensus on brands/models for performance, value, reliability, reparability, etc.?
Corded vs. rechargeable?
Are robots worth the price over old-school cleaners?
Do we have a master thread for robot reviews? (couldn't find one)
Other advice?

Two new contenders that have my interest are the Beatbot AquaSense and the Sublue BlueNexus. I like the brushless motors, cordless design, and intelligent mapping (similar to a robotic vacuum). Both products are untested and full of risk. :)

I'm taking a hard look at the baseline AquaSense. TBH, I'd be happy if someone made a s200-style robot with a brushless motor that was inexpensive and reliable.

Generally speaking, the “best” robots out there, from a lifetime perspective, are corded bots with an average lifetime of 3-5 years and with a cost around $1000. Everything else will either be “untested” young upstarts trying to make a name for themselves OR overly expensive “feature rich” robots that are overkill for most residential pools.

If you’re ok with dropping $1000 for 5 years of cleaning, then anything in the Dolphin S200 robot species is your go-to. If that price point makes you gag, then robots aren’t your bag baby ….

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

I think my thoughts on what robot works for an appropriate price point is leading to the aqua614q. I recently picked it up 849 out the door via marina.

Dual motors and brushes
Powerful suction
Does work on my deeper Baja ledge
App wifi control -steerable, remote access, can drive it anywhere from anywhere ! I watched it on my camera from work and drove it into the pool to start a cycle lol.

A lot of features for the price.

The more expensive robots don’t have so many more features that the value is actually there IMO

I'm looking at the Dolphin, Polaris, and Beatbot cordlesses (not the new $2000+ beatbot), because the cords have driven me completely insane. In 5 years with my Dolphin Quantum, I've purchased four additional cords. It seems no amount of care keeps them from going to heck. I babied the last one, never leaving it in the sun except when cleaning, moving it into the garage after drying, etc.

So I'm interested in hearing thoughts on cordless models too.