Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Why the sock?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    221

    Why the sock?

    I need to add CYA to my pool. I believe that I have read in other posts where people put the CYA into a sock and tie it near a return. Why? Can't I just broadcast it into the pool?
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

  2. Back To Top    #2
    AnnaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,132
    CYA can take up to a week to fully dissolve. If you broadcast and the granules sink to the bottom, you or your automatic cleaner will likely vacuum them up. If they stay on the surface or get suspended in the water, who wants to swim in that? Besides, they'll eventually get pulled into the filter and backwashed away.

    I put mine in an old sock, knot the top, and drop the bundle into the skimmer basket. That allows me to lift the CYA sock out when the basket is cleaned and drop it back in. I've actually never had it take a week to dissolve but I only ever put 1/2 cup at a time and test the CYA level some days later.

    Anna
    — AnnaK —

    12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    221
    Excellent, thanks! I will do the skimmer method as well.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunny, Humid Central Florida
    Posts
    30
    I put mine in my leaf net attached to the pool pole then lay the pole on the deck with the net hanging in the water near a return. Works like a charm.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Backglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Putnam County, NY
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by momof2grlz
    I put mine in my leaf net attached to the pool pole then lay the pole on the deck with the net hanging in the water near a return. Works like a charm.
    Interesting method but CYA is Acid after all...I would think that a pile of acid would potentially weaken the netting. I just hung my sock on a string by the return.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    148
    I read many times about adding cya with the sock/pantyhose method. Why not just pour it straight into the skimmer? The granules will get trapped in the filter where they will dissolve much quicker (with pump running of course). Just don't backwash for a couple of days or else you'll backwash it out and have to add it again.
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

  7. Back To Top    #7
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887
    It is common to add CYA first thing in the spring when openning the pool. Half the time there will be lots of algae and no CYA. Fighting the algae requires backwashing frequently, so the CYA can't go in the filter. By the time everything is back to normal and frequent backwashing is no longer required there is rarely any need for more CYA.

    The other thing that happens is that people don't expect to need to backwash so they add CYA to the filter. Then two days later there is some sudden reason to backwash and the CYA is forgotten about, so the half or so still left in the filter goes down the drain.

    It ends up being simpler to always use a sock, instead of trying to remember that you shouldn't backwash.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  8. Back To Top    #8
    DaveNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    520
    I had an extra roll of sock material that goes over drain pipe. Cut the length I needed knotted it and set it in the skimmer. Worked pretty well.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It is common to add CYA first thing in the spring when openning the pool. Half the time there will be lots of algae and no CYA. Fighting the algae requires backwashing frequently, so the CYA can't go in the filter. By the time everything is back to normal and frequent backwashing is no longer required there is rarely any need for more CYA.

    The other thing that happens is that people don't expect to need to backwash so they add CYA to the filter. Then two days later there is some sudden reason to backwash and the CYA is forgotten about, so the half or so still left in the filter goes down the drain.

    It ends up being simpler to always use a sock, instead of trying to remember that you shouldn't backwash.
    Good point. Living in Houston, pools are not closed for the winter, so I forget sometimes that most (or many) people do close their pools.
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunny, Humid Central Florida
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Backglass
    Interesting method but CYA is Acid after all...I would think that a pile of acid would potentially weaken the netting. I just hung my sock on a string by the return.
    Hadn't thought of that, but since CYA is added rarely, I'm not too worried about ruining the net. Our pool is screened so I don't have much use for it as a leaf net anyway. At least this way, it's being used for something.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Posts
    220
    I know this - 40 oz. of CYA tied into a knee high panty hose in a skimmer basket will sure fill it up
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •