Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
With Hurricane Hilary having SoCal in its sights, and 4 potential storms in the Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico, I wanted to resurrect these tips from Allen for those in the path. The full thread is below and hope everyone stays safe!

Precautions and Procedures During Heavy Floods
When the rain is coming down multiple inches by the hour, an overflow drain may not maintain the pool water level. For some people that could mean pool water overflowing into the the house.

Appropriate Water Level in the Pool
  • Normal circumstances: halfway up the skimmer, give or take an inch or so.
  • Torrential rains: WITH an overflow drain, keep watch on the rate of rainfall and water level rise. Often the overflow drain will keep up. If the water is lapping under the coping and is not holding, get busy preparing for another way to drain water from the pool.
  • WITHOUT an overflow drain, don’t wait until the water level is lapping the coping.
It’s an individual call on when to act. Experience with your pool and with your area’s downpours makes it an easier decision.

Things to Consider
Hose bib/spigot to drain water from the pool

Open up the spigot between the filter and main pump. If that's an unwise place to drain, see below. Respect your neighbors and drain away from their property. If you need to drain faster to keep up with rain fall, attach hoses to each spigot from other pumps you may have.

Important***** pump must be on: with my equipment, we kept the pump on high to get the greatest flow out of the hose. When the pump was on low, it was very low flow out of the hose. Use the speed that gives you a margin of safety from the pool overflowing.

Where to drain
You can attach your garden hose to the spigot and drain to a better place - driveway, street, etc. In the Hurricane Harvey situations, we could not have used our deck drains to put the hose end (the deck drains that run to the street). Our street was a rushing river, so my logic (correct or not) said that water with no place to go would all back up in the deck drains. Then the rainfall on the deck couldn't drain. I could very likely be wrong about that. We ran the hoses to our long driveway which has a decent slope and no chance of pooling near the house. We didn't help the rushing street river.....

SWG System
Turn off the salt system. There’s no point using up your cell as your pool water drains down the street. Some systems may allow you to turn it off; others you simply turn the % level down to zero.

Liquid Chlorine Pool
Don't forget if you have a SWG system turned off, you now need to watch the FC level. As others have said, take it up to SLAM level or at least high enough to give you wiggle room for timing of testing (using the band breaks from the storm to get out there and test or simply add more liquid chlorine)

Skimmers
If you're dealing with storms that have bands as with hurricanes or tropical storms, use the break periods from the rain to get the debris out of the skimmers and keep the pool water circulating.

Alternate Methods to Drain a Pool
DE or Sand filters with MPV that drain to waste

• Turn off the pump
  • Turn MPV to WASTE
  • Turn the pump on
  • Monitor the pump and turn the pump off immediately if the water drops below the skimmers and the pump runs dry. Depending if you have an operational main drain your pump may continue to drain below the skimmer level
  • When water is at the desired level turn the pump off
  • Turn the MPV back to FILTER

Sump pump
If you have one available and have power, throw that into the pool

The old siphon method
  • "You know, like you used to use when you stole gas from your neighbor's car"...
  • Fill a garden hose with water and then put one end of a garden hose in the pool and the other end down hill somewhere.

Last edited:
The report came out the other day that they're expecting the peak hurricane season to be peak-ier than usual. It's been so quiet I totally forgot we were months into it. Stay safe everyone !!

Reactions: JJ_Tex
I'm not too worried about my pool overflowing as mine also sits lower than the house and my backyard has pretty good drainage. I didn't own my house during Hurricane Harvey in 2017 (50"+ of rain in the Houston area), but according to the neighbors the house and pool did fine.

When we bought the house, the pool equipment had no hose bib or means to drain the pool (the pool does have a single overflow drain). I added a hose bib to the waterfall pump outlet, in case I need to pull down the water level quickly (the waterfall pump draws water from a drain at the deep end, so I could theoretically use this bib to drain the pool by a few feet if needed).

In the past, I was more concerned about the ability to maintain the pool after the hurricane - circulating the pool without power, sourcing liquid chlorine when 100000s are buying it up to clear up their own pools, etc. Now I have a SWG and a large portable generator that can run most of the house, including the pool equipment, so I'm not too concerned about the post-hurricane period.

Thanks for posting these reminders. I’ve added additional chlorine and per the news Hilary should fizzle to give us about 2-3 inches of rain where I am so 🤞🏾🤞🏾

Reactions: KJB1 and newdude
I received this article via email this morning and read through it as I wait for Hillary. The one thing that surprised me was the dual recommendations of draining into the street and raising chlorine levels. In San Diego, due to proximity to the ocean, that's a no-no. From https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/thinkblue/pdf/poolsspas.pdf:

Releasing pollutants into the storm water conveyance system is a violation of the City Municipal Code (43.0301).
Can I discharge pool or spa water into the storm drain?
Yes, you can discharge water with no chemicals into the storm drain. The water MUST:
1. Be water only (cannot carry debris or vegetation with it),
2. Be dechlorinated,
3. Have an acceptable pH of 7-8,
4. Have no algae present (no "green" present),
5. Contain no chemicals to counteract the chlorine,
6. Contain no hydrogen peroxide based products,
7. Be a flow that is controlled so it doesn't cause any erosion problems

Honestly, if there are millions of gallons falling from the sky, it's hard to imagine that a few hundred gallons of somewhat chlorinated water would matter much. Drain to the sewer instead if possible. But I'd wait until after the storm to raise chlorine levels again.

Reactions: KJB1
But I'd wait until after the storm to raise chlorine levels again
You may not be able to easily circulate after the storm. You may even be evacuated during.

I wouldn't worry about the environment at all. There is so much organic matter across your lawn and down the road that your FC will be gone before it hits the storm drain.

And if you're draining during the storm, it's diluted even further.

I wouldn't worry about the environment at all. There is so much organic matter across your lawn and down the road that your FC will be gone before it hits the storm drain.

And if you're draining during the storm, it's diluted even further.
+1 on this (but it does sound a bit harsh). Just keep in mind that every time you shower, flush the toilet, brush your teeth, etc. the chlorinated water from your sink ends up in the sewer.

Certainly do not dump a bunch of chemicals in the storm sewer, but properly chlorinated pool water is nothing to be concerned about.

Reactions: newdude
A bit of FC pumped to the street and storm sewer is nothing compared to the amount of oils, fertilizers, phosphates and other contaminants/pollutants that will be washed off the road surface and other property into the storm sewers.

If there is a choice between pumping pool water to the street to keep my back yard and house from flooding and worrying about a little FC flowing into the street, I know what I'd do.

Hmm... differing opinions and situations here. A mile from the coast, I've learned to think of the environment when I have a choice. Save the house? Screw the environment. Spend an extra day or week re-balancing chlorine levels? Not as high a priority. Worst case, drain and re-start. (I plumbed my system to allow draining into the municipal sewer.)

Wish I had a photo from the year the dirt on the hill above the pool washed onto the pool deck and had to be shoveled out. Best I can do is this storm and wind aftermath from 2016:

20160201.Pool after storm and wind.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm... differing opinions and situations here. A mile from the coast, I've learned to think of the environment when I have a choice. Save the house? Screw the environment.
To be clear, I dont think anyone is telling you to screw the environment. I'm just saying the guidance from your local officials that chlorinated water should not go into the sewer is bogus. The chlorine from your pool is no more harsh than your tap water if you take into account the CYA buffering effect. Its not like you are going to stop showering or flushing the toilet during the storm, so no reason you cannot dump some pool water during the storm if it helps mitigate damage to your house.

Also keep in mind, that if you follow their advice and don't dump water as needed, your chlorinated pool water is still going to overflow and end up in the sewer system. I would rather see you be in control of that water and mitigate any damage to your house.

I'm just saying the guidance from your local officials that chlorinated water should not go into the sewer is bogus
There's a misunderstanding here. The officials are informing/reminding that storm sewers empty directly into the ocean without treatment. These painted signs are all over:

stormdrain.jpg

In fact further down that city document that I linked earlier, it says, "All filter backwash fluids must be discharged into the sanitary sewer," i.e. the municipal system where showers etc. go, which is treated before being released to the ocean. That's why I plumbed my filter to tie in to the municipal sewer. So if I think I'll get an overflow, my first choice would be to pump excess down the municipal sewer and/or siphon it into the municipal sewer cleanout.

Oh man and now they closed the schools tmr. Seems a bit overboard in this area I’m in because we had this much rain before and they didn’t bother to close. 🤷🏽‍♀️ just. Gosh!!!!!!

Haha well my job doesn’t care to give us the day so it seems we’ll be pulling double duty tmr. Good thing is we are all safe and the storm should be over by 10am tmr.
All my meetings will include a sassy 5 year old. 😆

Reactions: newdude
Oh man and now they closed the schools tmr. Seems a bit overboard in this area I’m in because we had this much rain before and they didn’t bother to close. 🤷🏽‍♀️ just. Gosh!!!!!!
After the mess in Maui no one wants to be the next person who "should have done something" .

There's a misunderstanding here. The officials are informing/reminding that storm sewers empty directly into the ocean without treatment. These painted signs are all over:

View attachment 523838

In fact further down that city document that I linked earlier, it says, "All filter backwash fluids must be discharged into the sanitary sewer," i.e. the municipal system where showers etc. go, which is treated before being released to the ocean. That's why I plumbed my filter to tie in to the municipal sewer. So if I think I'll get an overflow, my first choice would be to pump excess down the municipal sewer and/or siphon it into the municipal sewer cleanout.
Got it. The storm drains on my street have those too as we are next to a stream (technically not the same as ours has a fish on it instead of a wave).

Regardless, you are right to use the sewer, especially since backwashing can have nasty stuff and that DE, bacteria, etc can cause issues. But... I would still hate to see someone not drain excess water from their pool in an emergency situation due to a misinformed government official. Properly balanced pool water going into the storm sewer has no more chlorine than tap water and will not kill grass, fish, etc.

Hopefully Hilary continues to be a fast-moving storm and doesnt dump too much water over any given area causing too much damage. I'm also totally on board with them canceling schools tomorrow. The fewer people on the roads the better in a situation like this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.