SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Having recently repaired our single speed pool pump motor (replaced start capacitor), it got me curious about the new efficiency standards coming in July 2021.

The reading I’ve done on this has been a little confusing at times, but this is what I’ve figured out so far (please correct me if wrong).

The new regulation applies to the manufacturing of pumps/motors. Existing stock can still be sold after the effective date until it runs out. It doesn’t specify what type of pump/motor must be used (single speed, variable speed, etc), it says they must meet new efficiency standards. Some sites say only variable speed pumps/motors currently meet the new standard, others say some single speed units also meet the new standard. To add to the confusion, apparently the regulation doesn’t yet address replacement motors.

We have Hayward equipment, including a single speed Super Pump, model # SP2607X10, so out of curiosity I checked out their site to see what it said.

I was surprised to see our pump/motor model on the list of single speed units that comply with the new regulation. Reading further, it seems units under THP of 1.15 aren’t affected by the new regulation. The THP on our Super Pump is 1.10, so I guess it just squeaks in under the wire.

I checked our power bills to see how much our current setup is costing to run (1HP Super Pump, booster pump for cleaner, and SWCG). Running the pump 10hrs a day, booster 2hrs a day, SWCG set 50-60%, it adds about $35 a month to our bill, so about $175 a season. This makes me question if the ROI we would see is significant enough if we switched to a variable speed unit when it comes time to replace ours (hopefully no time soon).

IMO, if your building a new pool, then going for the latest, most efficient pumps is the way to go. But if replacing an existing unit, it’s not as clear cut; individual circumstances seem to vary widely.

It’ll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Thoughts? Corrections?

Last edited:
Federal standards will require all new pool pumps over .7hp to be variable speed pumps.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you for the link. I think that was one of the sites I read.

For clarity, the number you mention is hydraulic hp; not the same as motor hp that we are use to using.

From the link:

”...That threshold is measured with a different system than traditional motor horsepower. The regulation states that self-priming filtration pumps rated between 0.711 and 2.5 hydraulic horsepower must meet the performance standard. Converted to motor horsepower, the regulation applies to motors between approximately 1 and 5 horsepower...”

According to some sites, the regulation doesn’t mandate a particular pump design. It’s just that current pump designs above the hhp threshold that qualify happen to be variable speed designs. This part from the link seems to support this;

”...The new federal regulation states that self-priming filtration pumps past a certain horsepower threshold – whether residential or commercial – must meet an established performance standard. Right now, that performance standard is only satisfied by variable-speed pumps...”

However, this site seems to indicate that like you said, pumps above the hhp threshold must be variable speed;

“...DPPP motors with THP greater than or equal to 1.15 THP would be required to meet the definition of “variable-speed control dedicated-purpose pool pump motor,” which we have defined. The 1.15 THP threshold aligns with the 0.711 HHP threshold in the DPPP standards for self-priming pool filter pumps. (1.15 THP is roughly equivalent to 0.711 HHP.) Almost all motors used in non-self-priming pool filter pumps and pressure cleaner booster pumps have THPs less than 1.15 THP. Therefore, DPPP motors that must meet the definition of “variable-speed control dedicated-purpose pool pump motor” will almost exclusively be motors for self-priming pool filter pumps, aligning with the DPPP standards...”

The devil is in the details. 🤔

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.