2021 New Build Thread/#2 Build

ap2002

Bronze Supporter
Apr 12, 2016
Houston, TX
We are in the early stages of design for our new pool... This will be our second new pool build. Have learned alot from this site, Thank you to all that continue to help the new members around here.
We build our new custom home on 2acres and moved in Dec 2018 and finally decided to pull the trigger on a new pool build.

A few specs that we have so far:

-32'x22' with 4-5-4 depths.
-swim up bar 20'x10' with build in refrig, ice maker and sink.
-waterfall from top of roof.
-travertine coping and spray deck
-undecided if we should have the sidewalk on the backside of the pool?

Equipment:
-1.5hp Pentair WhisperFlo 2speed pump
-Pentair Cartridge Filter
-Intermatic timers (not interested in new technology)
-SWG - Circupool?
-maybe be adding a heat pump, undecided at this point.
-- still doing research on what pump is needed for the waterfall off the roof, open to suggestions PLEASE!

pool.png

pool1.png

Hi! I cannot offer suggestions because I am the build stage of my first pool... but, just wanted to say I love your design. That waterfall?!!! Amazing

Congrats on the new build! Recommend IntelliFlo VSF or IntelliPro XF pump. @jimmythegreek, I know you like that new XF pump. Can it handle the waterfall, or will the OP need a second pump?

With variable speed, you'll end up saving money on energy bills, and be able to dial up or down the waterfall to fit your mood. Waterfalls can be noisy and you might not always want "full volume" on that. Also, if you ever decide to add automation, the WhisperFlo will not play nice with it. And the Intelli pumps are very quiet at lower speeds...

Consider an auto-flow + overflow control system. You'll never have to think about your pool's water level. I like my PoolMiser, Pentair makes a similar model. You cannot add this convenience later. I wouldn't want a pool without it.

Definitely have a walkway all the way around. Kids like to run around a pool. Maintaining both the pool and the plants on that side will be soooooo much easier with a walkway between.

I like your design. I love the swim-up bar. Man, I've had a lot of fun at swim up bars!! And the waterfall will be a nice feature. I'm not convinced they'll work all that well together, but maybe that's not your intention. And I'd be concerned with how the waterfall will splash water on the bar... I have a shade sail over one section of my pool, because I like a place I can hide from the sun, even while in the water. I'm wondering if extending the roof a bit, so that you have more shade at that end, will move the "fall line" farther away from the bar, solving for the splashing and allowing folks to use the swim up bar without getting rained and splashed on the entire time.

Last edited:
Cool design, just a couple of comments:

- The stairs are way on the far end of the pool. Seems like the natural entry and exit point would be on the other end, close to the house door and bar area.

- What dirk said on the pump. I would not think you would be happy with a 1.5hp 2 speed, especially when trying to run the waterfall

- I know you said you are not interested in new technology, but I would want to fully understand the mechanics of turning on/off the waterfall. Will you have to run to the equipment pad and turn valves every time you want to turn it on, turn on the lights, etc? Seems like not having some sort of automation may be a hinderance to you using the cool features you are already paying for.

- Have you thought about cleaners? We typically recommend a robot over a polaris type cleaner.

- Do you have a TV on the patio? That bar area is screaming for one if not. If you do have one on the patio, make sure you can see it from the bar. Watching TV, movies, sports from our pool and spa is on of our favorite things to do.

Reactions: Dirk
+1 on the automation. I didn't push that because you seem to know your mind about it. But I wouldn't have a pool without a controller...

I think JJ is right about the stairs, too. Hmm, people sitting at the bar. Lots of drinks. That's a looooong way to go to get out to use the John. Maybe they'll think twice about it, if ya know what I mean... 🤔

JJ mentions a cleaner (another must have). I see what looks like a step up to the bar stools. Gotta have that or else you can't have a cleaner, because without the step the cleaner will just get tangled up in the stools.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ_Tex
Hi fellow Houstonian. The concept is great.
couple of points that follows others who have commented.
Have you considered a dedicated pump for your waterfall? If you do go with a 2 speed pump for your main pool circulation, it be best to have a dedicated pump for your waterfall to control that independently as needed. I have a waterfall (over rocks - not over a roof like yours) and that has its own independent pump and circulation. The added advantage, if ever something happened to my main pump or filter and I had to shut down for a day or 2 for repairs, I can always circulate my water via the waterfall. Something to consider.
Furthermore, I would also support ditching the 2 speed pump and go with a Variable Speed - so much better for the long-term. Even with a VS pump I would still consider a dedicated pump for the rooftop waterfall.

Speaking of the rooftop waterfall, that will cause lots of aeration so you pH will be affected by that. Just so you are aware.

Furthermore, you mentioned a heat pump. Is that to heat the pool or to also consider cooling the pool? Your rooftop waterfall will also have a cooling affect on your water during the summer.

I would seriously consider some basic automation. I have basic Jandy Aqualink and great for controlling the pumps, monitoring water temperature, turning on/off lights, controlling your SWCG, etc. It does not need to be fancy but think of it as a convivence feature - just like your swim up bar.

Definitely would consider some steps closer to the bar if you want people to have an easy exit if you feel that is where people will hangout the most.

All going to depend on how big amd how much flow that waterfall wants to be. With proper sized plumbing an XF will be able to handle it. That would be a dedicated pump. Another pump would do the pool. Ita possible to do both with single pump but then the pool wouldnt have any flow while waterfall is on it would likely max it out. I get you like old school, I do too. But you need some type of simple automation controller. Imagine being in the swim up bar with your buddies after dropping 100k+ and telling them hey check out my waterfall....then you gotta get out amd go manually turn the thing on at the equipment pad.....catch my drift

Changed the design a little bit, New size is 19x32.. changed stairs to the middle... but now the depth has us thinking again... what would be the best depth size ... our previous build was 3.5 - 5-4 but this won’t work here due to stairs would be on the deep end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm. I would move those columns back. You can still cantilever the roof line out to where it is now, or even farther. I think it would be cool to have the falls on while sitting at the bar, but not if it was splashing on my back. Then move the steps all the way up to the corner by the bar. This would allow folks to make it right to the stools, even right to the stool platform, without getting any more wet than necessary. The stool platform could be an extension of the bottom step, tying that all in together. Then you can plot the deep end anywhere you want it.

More importantly, that will eliminate any unnecessary travel between the bathroom and your drink! 🤪

Reactions: HermanTX
I always find it funny how the rendering software just makes any unknown area into lawn. As if everyone lives in the middle of miles and miles of grass. But geez, you actually do!! 😲

Reactions: Silvio
Hmm. I would move those columns back. You can still cantilever the roof line out to where it is now, or even farther. I think it would be cool to have the falls on while sitting at the bar, but not if it was splashing on my back. Then move the steps all the way up to the corner by the bar. This would allow folks to make it right to the stools, even right to the stool platform, without getting any more wet than necessary. The stool platform could be an extension of the bottom step, tying that all in together. Then you can plot the deep end anywhere you want it.

More importantly, that will eliminate any unnecessary travel between the bathroom and your drink! 🤪
Dirk thanks for the reply!... the last pic from the back you can see that we did move the columns back to on top of the counter, to be lined up with the columns from the back patio. I need to digest the idea of moving the steps again, it actually sounds like a great idea but will it end up looking too busy on one side of the pool?

I always find it funny how the rendering software just makes any unknown area into lawn. As if everyone lives in the middle of miles and miles of grass. But geez, you actually do!! 😲
lol... yes we definatley have plenty of grass down here.... but acutally between the patio and the pool i will be laying down some river rock instead... will try to keep the grass as far away from the pool as possible.

Love the new column position, and how they'll line up with existing.

but will it end up looking too busy on one side of the pool?
No.

I could offer a whole lesson on how things don't need to be centered to achieve balance. (Design is what I do, but a different kind. Principles apply, though.) White space and whatnot. More to the point: I would fill in that corner area that is now grass. You could just extend the existing deck material and plant furniture there. You can never have too much deck. Or you could raise that area with a contrasting material, like a nice Trek decking material or a raised paver deck that matches the coping, if you don't like wood, or a raised planter (stone walls, or match the coping) filled with tall, medium and short landscaping, lit up at night. Any of those would balance the steps with the open deck in-between. Lots of ways to skin that cat.

You do need to be careful not to put anything in between the pool and where you will watch swimmers (kids). Nothing blocking your view, but I think that corner is far enough out from where I envision you'll be lounging.

Last edited:
Looks great design wise, but gonna be pricey to build that roof waterfall. Your gonna need to come up thru the columns with piping amd have a thick enough fascia to insert either sheer descents or a custom spray bar in it. You need multiple water feeds for that length of falls.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.