2018 Bleach Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day, don't know if it is still like this, buy the big box hardware stores had full strength MA in the pool/garden area a lot cheaper than the full strength MA they sold in the paint section.

There could be a local pool supply store, or chain pool store selling it for less. Paint supply stores maybe? Concrete supply places should. Maybe janitorial supply.

You can always call the pool installers locally and ask where it is cheap.

Around Houston, I think Leslies Pool store has one of the better deals on liquid chlorine. 4 pack of Blue Whale 12.5% Liquid "Shock" chlorine in 1 gallon plastic jugs is $13; comes out to $3.25 per gallon and it's always fresh as they have high inventory turnover. You can also get rewards and get $5 off sometimes if you bring in a coupon to have free water testing done

For those in the Northeast, Ocean State Job Lot is having a Mother's Day Special for Insiders. If you buy a $100 gift card, you get a $30 Crazy Deals gift card for free, which can be spent on anything in the store. So essentially, you get over 23% off if you prepay $100, which comes out to less than 15 cents an ounce.

I've already done it once. I'm probably going to do it again, but there is a 6/customer limit.

For those in the Northeast, Ocean State Job Lot is having a Mother's Day Special for Insiders. If you buy a $100 gift card, you get a $30 Crazy Deals gift card for free, which can be spent on anything in the store. So essentially, you get over 23% off if you prepay $100, which comes out to less than 15 cents an ounce.

I've already done it once. I'm probably going to do it again, but there is a 6/customer limit.

Do you have a link? What is the brand and % ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I noticed this week at three different places Stop & Shop Walmart and some other place. All brands of bleaches that are marked concentrated are only 6% sodium hypochlorite. Concentrated bleach should be at least 8.25% the concentrated Great Value brand I used to get at Walmart last year for 8.25% is no longer available now they have another one under the Great Value Flagship name that says concentrated for cleaning, but it's still only 6%.Why are manufacturers like Clorox, Great value, and others falsely marketing concentrated but still the same percentage as regular bleach? Why are all manufacturers changing their concentration I can't find 8 .25% anymore. As for Pool Essentials pool chlorine which is 10% my Walmart has been sold out so I have to find another one.

I've been using the Job Lot chlorine for the last 3 years and its been great. From what I recall its the product is produced in New Haven and distributed thru a company out of Road Island so the supply chain is short and the product always seems to be about as fresh as you can get. In the past I've kept my left over gallon or two in the basement thru the winter and they have maintained their chlorine content well.

They really upped their pool supplies this year, I was at the store in Gales ferry yesterday and its loaded with floats, intex pools, and all the other stuff you could want for your pool. They also have 50ft rolls of backwash hose for 5.99 which is a pretty good price if you need it.

At the end of the season keep an eye out for when they discount all their pool supplies and chemicals. One year I got 4lb CYA tubs for $3 dollars each. I just used my last of it this spring to top of my pool when I opened.

I've been using the Job Lot chlorine for the last 3 years and its been great. From what I recall its the product is produced in New Haven and distributed thru a company out of Road Island so the supply chain is short and the product always seems to be about as fresh as you can get. In the past I've kept my left over gallon or two in the basement thru the winter and they have maintained their chlorine content well.

I have been getting my Chlorine at the the Ocean State Job Lot store in Enfield Ct for over five years. Throughout the pool season it stocks "Shock" from three different manufacture that I have seen:

• Pool Tech Shock from James Austins Company, Mars, PA (I believe the stock actually comes from their Massachusetts manufacturing plant)
  • Diamond Clear Mega Shock from Amco Inc, Woonsocket RI
  • Super Shock from H.Krevit & company, New Haven CT

All three brands are 12.5% chlorine, always fresh and always $2.99 a gallon (128 oz).

I have been getting my Chlorine at the the Ocean State Job Lot store in Enfield Ct for over five years Through out the pool season it stocks "Shock" from three different manufacture that I have seen:

• Pool Tech Shock from James Austins Company, Mars, PA (I believe the stock actually comes from their Massachusetts manufacturing plant)
  • Diamond Clear Mega Shock from Amco Inc, Woonsocket RI
  • Super Shock from H.Krevit & company, New Haven CT

All three brands are 12.5% chlorine, always fresh and always $2.99 a gallon (128 oz).
Same for Gales Ferry, Groton, Whethersfield, and Berlin.

You don't want your bleach to be more than 3 months old. There is a chart here somewhere that has it all broken down. The best rule of thumb is no older than 3 months if possible with it store out of direct sun and big heat.

Kim:kim:

I typically buy 4 gallons that conveniently come in a nice cardboard box. That lasts me about a month. I know chlorine gets weaker in storage but Ive never really noticed the difference. If the FC is low just add more.

How do you know the manufacture date from the Ocean State Job Lot liquid chlorine?
What is the longest you should store these 12.5% bottles before using? I.e. how much should be purchased at once?
Pool Tech has a date code on the bottle or case (4 gallons per box). Super Shock also had date codes on the bottle, but I did notice last year that they started to come without the code. Mega Shock never had a code that I saw, but I did email the company and they told me that their product is on OSJL floor within days of manufacture. The store that I go to has a high turnover rate during the season and they seems to get shipments at least once a month. I usually buy 3 cases (12 gallons) each month and they are within two or three weeks of the manufacture date. So this results in using all the stock I buy within 8 week of manufacture give or take a couple of weeks. I store my stock in my basement where it's cool. I've been doing this for five years and never had any indication that the chlorine had degraded.

A couple pool stores said using liquid chlorine could be bad for a vinyl liner because it's heavier than water and sinks to bottom of pool and could bleach the liner. So we have been pouring it slowly into the deep end and using the pool wall brush on the extension pole to mix around the water.. is this even needed?

We don't understand how Dichlor or Cal Hypo granules or predisolved in 5 gallon bucket is any safer for a vinyl liner than liquid chlorine bottles?

Around Houston, I think Leslies Pool store has one of the better deals on liquid chlorine. 4 pack of Blue Whale 12.5% Liquid "Shock" chlorine in 1 gallon plastic jugs is $13; comes out to $3.25 per gallon and it's always fresh as they have high inventory turnover. You can also get rewards and get $5 off sometimes if you bring in a coupon to have free water testing done

Are you sure about that? Last I checked, they told me it was $17, which is not a great price. When did you get the $13 price for 4 gallons? And which Leslie's?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.