$200,000 pool, ready to set it on fire!

How high do you think the fc is?

I am on my phone so can't link to it but go to the home page. Look on the left hand side for the table pf contents. Find the fc/ ya chart. That will show you when it is safe to swim. Your cya is at ?? so you can swim so long as your fc level is under ghe shock/slam level!!!

Kim:kim:

Well, guess what happened. I almost cried. My daughter was screaming so my first thought was copperhead. But nooooo... I had taken hose off to send a friend pics who is trying to help me figure out fittings needed so I may get rid of duct tape. Well I'm not sure if position of bucket changed or what but here is what happened...
Untitled | CyndiSB | Flickr

At this point, all I could do was laugh and start the process again. It's almost back to clear. My strips just read high on tc and fc, 10 or above. stabilizer in between 0 and 50.

- - - Updated - - -

Will take a look at the chart. It's the if CYA is this then chlorine should be that chart?

Wow! I'm following this one. :)

So sorry that you're having such troubles to start! I just wanted to encourage you with a look to the future... I have a similar pool. Mine's bigger but still the metal frame type (mine is intex and somewhere around or over 10 years old! :shock: - the end is near lol)

Once you get your kit and get balanced the upkeep is going to be so easy peasy. I guess with well water you might have maybe an extra step or two from what I have when it comes time to top off your water but as far as daily upkeep... I walk out and put 20oz of bleach in my pool every day. That's it. I mean there's days I need 10oz and every now and then I need 30 or 40. But generally speaking we're talking like 2.5 cups of bleach and I'm done as far as chemistry goes. I'm lucky in that my pH never even changes. I test it now and then..and it's always the same. (I've been doing this for a while, once you reach that point you really get used to what your pool needs on a regular basis and it's just downright easy.)

It takes me less than 5 minutes to deal with "chemistry" and check the skimmer and on the weekends I do my vacuuming etc.

So that's a view towards the light at the end of the tunnel. -- It's not a freight train (Metallica song reference lol) it's the light gleaming from your soon to be sparkling pool!!

This is good to know! I'm feeling a little less overwhelmed now that the water is crystal clear. I m unclear if the CYA requires maintenance dosing? Just to get an idea of how things were looking I took a water sample to the pool store by my work today. This is what they said, taking these numbers with a grain of salt:

pH - 8
FC -10
Adj. TA - 156
TC - 10
CYA -37
TDS - 1200
Hardness - 339

I'm not sure what TDS is. I've been looking at the charts and CYA / Chlorine relation. Knowing I added water to the pool after I took sample I had daughter teat with strip, followed chart, and the kids went for their first swim. (I was at work) Yay, anyway!!!

Now more good news...
Someone anonymously, from this forum has sent me a test kit. I am so thankful and can't wait to use it. If you are reading this, and sent the kit please accept my sincerest thanks. Your gratitude is rare in today's world! I truly appreciate it and can now budget towards outside lights. I will put the kit to good use. Also, I promise to pay it forward. So, one thing I can do is take pictures!! Anyone in San Antonio area that would like a family photo session donated by yours truly, send me a message and if I get one or a few I will randomly pick someone for a free session. If I can't pick a member of TFP's site, I will find another way to pay it forward. I promise!!!!!

Now, if I can just figure out how to make the pool vac work! lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TDS=Total dissolved solids. You will notice TFP does not say anything about them. It is a "scare" tactic used by the pool $tore to sell more stuff.

How sweet is it for someone to do such a wonderful act of kindness! Makes my heart smile! May that person have a lifetime of smiles and love!:hug:

Cyndi, I wish I lived in your area to take you up on the photo shoot!

While you are waiting on your gifted test kit to get there I have a short shopping list for you. Most of it can be bought at the dollar store!

-2 2 cup plastic measure cups that have ozs printed on them-one will be for muriatic acid only and one will be for all other chemicals.
-1 white plastic plate-I find this is very useful to hold up behind the PH tube for color matching
-bleach/chlorine-find the best place that is easy for you to get to to pick in up on an as needed bases
-muriatic acid-Look at Lowes in the outside area. Make sure it is the 31% stuff. They like to sell the lower % stuff for the same price :roll:

I am going to share a link I might have shared already but I am too lazy to look back LOL:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Now don't go out and buy all of the stuff listed on this link. It is only for an as needed/wanted bases. What I have on your shopping list is needed to get you started on balancing your water.

Good luck on your vacuum hooking up!

I'm going to chime in very quickly because some people may think TFTestkits gifted a test kit (and Speedstir!!!) to Goldcyn. I honestly did not. The donor would like to remain anonymous, but there is a sweet angel on this site :angel: that deserves the blessings of that gift.

After the test kit arrives, run a set of tests and post the results here. Then we can tell which chemicals you need to balance the pool.

As far as CYA, no it doesn't go away on its own, but it can be reduced over time by splash out. You remove excess CYA by partially draining the pool. Since you have iron, you will need to use a seqestrant and it does require maintenance doses.

I would add some chlorine each day. I like to add mine in the evening after the sun is off the pool for the day. I like the idea of having the full strength FC in during the night so it can work without the sun taking any of it. Many people add in the morning. It is really up to your life and which time works best for you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.