2-Stage Pump on "low" has air in pot

Sep 28, 2016
Central, Illinois
Hey All,

I have a 2-Stage pump, I have about 25' of 1.5" Sprial reenforced PVC suction and return line between the pump and the pool. The pump is up by my house and the pool is out in the yard. It is a 1.5hp 2-stage pump.

When on High setting, the "pot" is completely full of water with only a few tiny bubbles in the lid of the pot.

But when on "Low", The pot is 1/2 full of water and you can see the water flowing out of the return line. The PSI gauge is also only showing about 5psi. If i flip the switch back into high, within about 30 seconds, the pot is full and only a couple small air bubbles are seen.

Is this normal? My understanding was that the pot should be full all the time reguardless of pump speed.

I want to run the pump on low to save energy, but at this point I'm forced to run it on high, so I might as well not even have a 2 stage!

Thanks,

-ThaChad

It is not uncommon for air to develop in the top of the pump when running at low speeds. Although I would think the pump should be more than half full on low speed. Mine just develops a rather large Bubble at the top of the pump lid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.