2 Speed Hayward Pump Trips GFCI when on high

robbyv17

May 11, 2021
Chicagoland
I have a dual speed (2HP & 0.25HP) Hayward pump that has been in operation since 2016, according to the previous owners. It ran fine without a single issue the last few years for me. I opened the pool recently, and when I attempted to use the high speed, the GFCI outlet (under the deck, not the breaker in the panel) tripped and couldn't be reset. I replaced the GFCI with a new 20A weather resistant GFCI.

The pump runs fine on low again, but switching to the high speed trips the new GFCI as well ( am able to reset the new GFCI, unlike the old one). The other test I've done is running the pump on low and plugging a hairdryer in that GFCI outlet to stress test it and it did not trip.

Signs point towards the pump being the issue. Is there anything else that I can try before shelling out for a new pump?

And if I do need a new pump, are there any recommendations for dual speed pumps? Thanks!

Update: I found the following video and it worked for me. I just had to pop off the back cover of the motor and use a screwdriver to manually rotate the impeller shaft a bit. Hopefully it buys me an extra few seasons out of the pump.

Last edited:
I have a dual speed (2HP & 0.25HP) Hayward pump that has been in operation since 2016, according to the previous owners. It ran fine without a single issue the last few years for me. I opened the pool recently, and when I attempted to use the high speed, the GFCI outlet (under the deck, not the breaker in the panel) tripped and couldn't be reset. I replaced the GFCI with a new 20A weather resistant GFCI.

The pump runs fine on low again, but switching to the high speed trips the new GFCI as well ( am able to reset the new GFCI, unlike the old one). The other test I've done is running the pump on low and plugging a hairdryer in that GFCI outlet to stress test it and it did not trip.

Signs point towards the pump being the issue. Is there anything else that I can try before shelling out for a new pump?

And if I do need a new pump, are there any recommendations for dual speed pumps? Thanks!
Sounds like there is a short in the high-speed windings. Can you post a picture of the pump? This one:
1715194507616.png

Same pump, different label. Problem with those pumps is you can replace the entire pump for slightly more than the cost of that motor along with the O rings, shaft seal, any gasket needed to make the repair. Plus your labor.
PowerFlo Matrix pumps, in a 2hp, 2-speed configuration, are about $550.00. That motor Century BN61) alone is about $375-$530 depending on availability (online pricing). A GO Kit with the shaft seal and O rings, etc., is about $35.00.
The rust at the top of the motor, unless you know water has been dripping there, is an indication of a motor that has been overheating.

Same pump, different label. Problem with those pumps is you can replace the entire pump for slightly more than the cost of that motor along with the O rings, shaft seal, any gasket needed to make the repair. Plus your labor.
PowerFlo Matrix pumps, in a 2hp, 2-speed configuration, are about $550.00. That motor Century BN61) alone is about $375-$530 depending on availability (online pricing). A GO Kit with the shaft seal and O rings, etc., is about $35.00.
The rust at the top of the motor, unless you know water has been dripping there, is an indication of a motor that has been overheating.
My local pool store has a new pump for $470, so you're right, it doesn't make much sense to get a new motor + GO kit. Thanks

Reactions: 1poolman1