Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Our pool builder is finishing our pool equipment and today they added a second pump. Our pump on the left has been running during the entire plaster startup phase. The pump that was added today is only hooked up to an intake and then an outflow. It is not connected to the filter, heater, or SWG. Is this taking the place of the spa blower? I am very confused what purpose this pump serves. I appreciate any help.

Attachments

• 96F9665C-8692-43FF-B179-828E9EC7956D.jpeg
    96F9665C-8692-43FF-B179-828E9EC7956D.jpeg
    639.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 70D9D10F-0F60-441D-99E6-546603BDD646.jpeg
    70D9D10F-0F60-441D-99E6-546603BDD646.jpeg
    582.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 57B31B69-2AC7-45B0-BDC4-C3630E8C6990.jpeg
    57B31B69-2AC7-45B0-BDC4-C3630E8C6990.jpeg
    646.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 7ACB4827-A62A-4538-99EB-152AD15068FE.jpeg
    7ACB4827-A62A-4538-99EB-152AD15068FE.jpeg
    660.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 46BC6707-AFCE-4AC3-9F20-EDD84F0C3C1D.jpeg
    46BC6707-AFCE-4AC3-9F20-EDD84F0C3C1D.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 20
  • D4468F28-01E6-427A-819A-1153EA6DC463.jpeg
    D4468F28-01E6-427A-819A-1153EA6DC463.jpeg
    633 KB · Views: 26
Most likely the pool builder has installed or is installing a booster pump. This is a secondary pump used to power high pressure pressure-side pool cleaners. Not all pressure-side pool cleaners require a booster pump but as I would believe those that are powered by a booster pump would be stronger cleaners.
This below will help.

This is a nice set up with main pump, filter, heater and SWCG. The return for this pump is to either the spa (pipe to the left) or to the main pool returns and bubbler on sundeck (2 pipes on the right).

Did you request special spa jets that would require a dedicated pump?
I do not see a water feature so it must be for the jets. Where does the water flow out when the pump turns on?

Pig,

I knew you lived in Florida, just by looking at your equipment pad.. :poke:

Your second pump is most likely for the jets in your spa. It could also be for some water feature we can't see. It is not a booster pump for a pressure side cleaner, it is a full-size pump.

Did the pool builder not tell you want it is for???

Thanks,

Jim R.

I appreciate all of the quick reply’s. They are finishing the equipment install tomorrow so they did not explain what it is for yet. We do have a dedicated vac line in the spa and hot tub. We also have a rather large hot tub (5x10 feet interior and 4feet deep) so maybe that is also the reason. We do not have any water features.

This is a nice set up with main pump, filter, heater and SWCG. The return for this pump is to either the spa (pipe to the left) or to the main pool returns and bubbler on sundeck (2 pipes on the right).

Did you request special spa jets that would require a dedicated pump?
I do not see a water feature so it must be for the jets. Where does the water flow out when the pump turns on?
The pump on the left has been running and water returns from the spa and pool return jets. I have not seen the other pump on yet as they are finishing installation tomorrow.

The pump on the left has been running and water returns from the spa and pool return jets. I have not seen the other pump on yet as they are finishing installation tomorrow.
The main pump as 4 suction pipes in total. The one on the left is from the main spa drain. The 3 to the right have suction from the pool main drain, vacuum and skimmer. In the picture the vacuum suction pipe is CLOSED so all suction coming from the main pool drain and the skimmer.

Just curious - do you have 1 set (2 round covers) of main drains in the spa or 2 sets (4 round covers). I am just wondering where the second pump is drawing its suction. The picture of the overall pool it is hard to see the spa drains.

It does appear there are 2 drain covers (1 set) in the main pool. Please confirm if that is accurate.

The PB should tell you the reason for the second pump (or it should be noted on your contract), but based on what is seen, it appears to be dedicated spa jets but only the PB knows for sure!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The main pump as 4 suction pipes in total. The one on the left is from the main spa drain. The 3 to the right have suction from the pool main drain, vacuum and skimmer. In the picture the vacuum suction pipe is CLOSED so all suction coming from the main pool drain and the skimmer.

Just curious - do you have 1 set (2 round covers) of main drains in the spa or 2 sets (4 round covers). I am just wondering where the second pump is drawing its suction. The picture of the overall pool it is hard to see the spa drains.

It does appear there are 2 drain covers (1 set) in the main pool. Please confirm if that is accurate.

The PB should tell you the reason for the second pump (or it should be noted on your contract), but based on what is seen, it appears to be dedicated spa jets but only the PB knows for sure!!!!
The spa has 2 main drains and 5 jets. When he installed the second pump today, he drained the hot tub.

Attachments

• 34335074-CCA5-415E-B348-01F87C0A71FE.jpeg
    34335074-CCA5-415E-B348-01F87C0A71FE.jpeg
    560.4 KB · Views: 9
@pigskintd I see the 5 jets that face the seating area. I also see what looks like either 2 or 3 jets that are on the wall below the seating area (facing the pool). Can that be confirmed?

Asking @Jimrahbe or @wireform - would that be correct that 1 suction pipe would feed 2 different pumps? My assumption is that those 2 drains in the spa are tied to 1 pipe.

@pigskintd I see the 5 jets that face the seating area. I also see what looks like either 2 or 3 jets that are on the wall below the seating area (facing the pool). Can that be confirmed?

Asking @Jimrahbe or @wireform - would that be correct that 1 suction pipe would feed 2 different pumps? My assumption is that those 2 drains in the spa are tied to 1 pipe.
There are 2 below the seats (1 is a light). I know one of them (right one to be exact) is pipped to Spa Return, the other didn’t function before. I assumed it was the vac line, but now I have no clue.

Attachments

• E1909A5E-9864-4C0A-8421-69430DA4D4AE.jpeg
    E1909A5E-9864-4C0A-8421-69430DA4D4AE.jpeg
    683.8 KB · Views: 6
Pig,

You can't have two pumps sucking water from the same source.

You have a spillover spa, which means that the drains in the spa have to be plumbed into the main pool pump's intake line.

If you have a spa jet pump, it must also get its water from the spa.

This is the confusing part... There are only two drain covers in the spa. Normally these would be connected together. If that is true, then it can't go to both pumps.. And, if they plumbed one drain to one pump and the other drain to the other pump, then your drains no longer meet the safety requirements for dual drains.

On the surface, it does not make sense.

You need to get your pool builder to explain where things are connected.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It is what I expected. The spa output from the main filtration pump will return to those 2 lower jets. Based on the pictures in your first post - the automated valve is open such that returns from the main filtration pump will go both to the spa and to the pool (and to the bubbler) so the spa will overflow into the pool

Pig,

You can't have two pumps sucking water from the same source.

You have a spillover spa, which means that the drains in the spa have to be plumbed into the main pool pump's intake line.

If you have a spa jet pump, it must also get its water from the spa.

This is the confusing part... There are only two drain covers in the spa. Normally these would be connected together. If that is true, then it can't go to both pumps.. And, if they plumbed one drain to one pump and the other drain to the other pump, then your drains no longer meet the safety requirements for dual drains.

On the surface, it does not make sense.

You need to get your pool builder to explain where things are connected.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I fully agree with all your points. That is why I asked. It seems very confusing.

It is what I expected. The spa output from the main filtration pump will return to those 2 lower jets. Based on the pictures in your first post - the automated valve is open such that returns from the main filtration pump will go both to the spa and to the pool (and to the bubbler) so the spa will overflow into the pool
When the main pump was on and the spa was overflowing into the pool, only the right return below the seats was active. The return on the left wasn’t doing anything.

I fully agree with all your points. That is why I asked. It seems very confusing.
I am just as confused as you guys (plus it’s my first pool). I was never expecting a second pump and it’s only hooked up as one pipe in and one pipe out directly to the pool (meaning it’s not connected to the filter/heater/SWG). I guess we will get the answer tomorrow.

I am just as confused as you guys (plus it’s my first pool). I was never expecting a second pump and it’s only hooked up as one pipe in and one pipe out directly to the pool (meaning it’s not connected to the filter/heater/SWG). I guess we will get the answer tomorrow.
It is ok that it is not connected to the filter/heater/SWCG as the pump is there to provide power to operate the jets. The lower jets will provide the heat, filtering and the chlorination for the spa.

Now if only 1 of those lower jets were pushing out water in the test yesterday, I would ask the PB why? Seems like they both should work together.

You may want to ask the PB for an "as built" plumbing diagram. they had to create something to lay all the pipes so that is something you should keep to refer to in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.